M390 super steel?

It really has nothing to do with being necessary or not.
They still paint cars blue. Why? It's not necessary. See what I mean?
Kershaw is just showing what can be done. Something different. A new choice at the sales counter.

If that's the reason I'll pass. Cars and knives are two very different kinds of beauties.

If that's the reason I'll pass. Cars and knives are two very different kinds of beauties.

I think you've missed the point completely.

I remember when cars had no A/C, power windows, etc. Times change, and things improve with time.

I was more on the topic of M390 and how the Volt uses it as a composite blade with CPM-D2. CPM-D2 isn't exactly a cheap steel, any steel that is formed from the CPM process should run a little high in price. In the case of the Volt I think Mr. Dobson is correct about it being for looks. No doubt it does look very cool, but I just don't see where it is necessary, from a performance standpoint, to produce M390 in a composite blade. And if it means having to use CPM-D2 has a secondary steel, there shouldn't be significant cost saving.

This knife is more of a showcase piece.
The Volt would be a near $200 knife no matter what they used. I feel that the use of all around premium materials is justified (possibly even desired).

Looking at the ZDP-189 Blur, that's where you see the cost savings.

M390 is now in stock in Seattle, WA in sheet from .125-.169. Can be heat treated and tempered to 60-62 Rc. Very high volume of carbides, both vanadium and chrome. Also over 12% free chrome in the steel for very good corrosion resistance.

The 3rd generation powder technology gives it very fine grain and good toughness.

Yes, it can be polished to a mirror finish, but this requires both time and advanced technigues with diamond paper or foil.

thanks to 2 brothers for the stats. my read on 390 & 20v some time back was that they are almost twins. the only experience i've had with duratec 20v is ths disc. sog team leader in 20v. initial tests by Ankerson seem to show it a exemplary alloy.

Every blade has 2 working ends. I think the CMP-D2 may work better in the pivot/lock/blade stop area and the 390 for the cutting edge. Perhaps the D2 has properties that prevent galling to the titanium lock. Maybe it doesn't wear on the pivot pin as much as the 390 would. It may take to being slammed into a blade stop pin better than the 390. Maybe all three. Just a theory from a guy who knows very little about these things.

Back