M4 Ti Millie Alert!!!

I'm sorry, but that's no excuse. If your supplier is unreliable, get another one.

If my WAG is right, and the problem is with Crucible, it's a total excuse. There is no other supplier of CPM-M4. But none of us knows what the backstory is, so it's all speculation. I think we can trust the bona fides of Sal and Roger on this.

Just exactly how WA is your G?;)
Care to share with your fellow forum members?:D

Total guesswork, but here's what I'm thinking. Correct/fill in/whatever as you see fit - it's just a WAG, so no risk of offending me... ;)

Sal posted that there was a supplier issue. There are three major elements in this knife. G10 for one scale. I can't imagine that there's a shortage of appropriate black G10, so rule that one out. Titanium for the other scale. Again, though some types and sizes of titanium are periodically in short supply, I would be surprised if a supply problem caused a problem on this part. That leaves the blade, the only other major component. Crucible had "business continuity" issues last year, as we all remember; either something related to leftover issues from the reorg or something related to issues Crucible might be having getting the right materials to manufacture CPM-M4 strikes me as the most likely supply issue. But, as mentioned, it's just guesswork and low-level logic/process of elimination.

You are invited to add your own WAGs here. :D

I'll throw my WAG in the ring. Knowing and respecting the reputation that Sal and Spyderco have for doing the right thing, for the right reason, every time, I'm guessing that supply isn't the issue but rather one or more of the components JNewell mentioned didn't measure up to Spdyerco's QC standards and until it does the knife ain't gonna ship.

I'm sorry, but that's no excuse. If your supplier is unreliable, get another one.

i have to agree. i know sometimes that things get held up and we have been fine with it being pushed back until july from may... but come on now no delivery date in sight?..... personally i think i'm going to get my 20$ back or just eat it and cut my losses.

maybe u could use a different super steel? s90v? s110v? zdp-189? maybe a one of the new carpenter super steels?

i know this is NOT spyderco or knifework's fault. i'm not in any way pushing the blame on them. but i think that a different steel should be used.

Last edited:
i have to agree. i know sometimes that things get held up and we have been fine with it being pushed back until july from may... but come on now no delivery date in sight?..... personally i think i'm going to get my 20$ back or just eat it and cut my losses.

maybe u could use a different super steel? s90v? s110v? zdp-189? maybe a one of the new carpenter super steels?

i know this is NOT spyderco or knifework's fault. i'm not in any way pushing the blame on them. but i think that a different steel should be used.

And how many pissed off people do you think there would be when they don't get M4 like they purchased? The knife was designed and sold with CPM M4 as the blade steel so they aren't going to switch because of a couple impatient customers. In fact whining customers probably makes them regret doing these kinds of projects since problems can not be predicted.

And the down payment is non refundable. I'm sure Roger won't mind keeping your 20 bucks and that there are a bunch of people who are hoping you bail so they have a chance at it. :eek:

I also think that Spyderco knows how to make a knife and that there is probably some sort of supply problem. If the problem was on their end they would have an idea of how long it would take to fix it. If they are waiting on something that is outside their control then they don't know when it will come, hence the date comment.

Ill take exactly what I paid a pre-order for thank you, take your time, make it right, we all have plenty of other knives to play with until this one shows up. I bought in on the pre-order because of the M4, that its a frame lock and it'll be my first spyderco. Keep it as it was supposed to be please.
-Barry-

And how many pissed off people do you think there would be when they don't get M4 like they purchased? The knife was designed and sold with CPM M4 as the blade steel so they aren't going to switch because of a couple impatient customers. In fact whining customers probably makes them regret doing these kinds of projects since problems can not be predicted.

And the down payment is non refundable. I'm sure Roger won't mind keeping your 20 bucks and that there are a bunch of people who are hoping you bail so they have a chance at it. :eek:

I also think that Spyderco knows how to make a knife and that there is probably some sort of supply problem. If the problem was on their end they would have an idea of how long it would take to fix it. If they are waiting on something that is outside their control then they don't know when it will come, hence the date comment.

Bingo.

You must be kidding? :thumbdn: That is the entire point of this knife. Change the steel and it is just another knife.

Every single person who signed up for this knife would be totally disappointed, or worse.

Well that can often be easier said than done. Crucible make CPM M4.
This knife was advertised and sold as a M4 Ti Framelock. To change it at this stage would do more harm than good.

Crucible are coming out of a huge restructuring after essentially going bust. They are being well supported by Sal, Chris Reeve and several others in the knife industry who know how important it is to continue to have them around.

A high tech US company essential to the knife industry is struggling to stay alive..... can't we all just have a little patience and support them instead of talking of other steels......??:confused:

Who here really thinks that Sal and Spyderco will let us down?
Certainly not me. I know my M4 Millie will be along soon and I can wait.

Roger is one of the straightest most honorable gentleman I know. I feel sure he would be more than prepared to refund your 20 rather than tarnish his reputation........He does not do business that way.

Ill take exactly what I paid a pre-order for thank you, take your time, make it right, we all have plenty of other knives to play with until this one shows up. I bought in on the pre-order because of the M4, that its a frame lock and it'll be my first spyderco. Keep it as it was supposed to be please.
-Barry-

Well said:thumbup:.......the voice of reason

You must be kidding? :thumbdn: That is the entire point of this knife. Change the steel and it is just another knife.

Every single personMany people who signed up for this knife would be totally disappointed, or worse.
(fixed that for ya! ;))

I don't think I'd be totally disappointed if another steel was used for the blade. I would have ordered it with any of the high-end blade steels. I don't know enough about all the high-end steels to be able to tell the difference. I was just more excited about the Ti/G-10 RIL Millie than the all Ti version. But I don't mind waiting to get the M4 version, either.

whoa with the attitude. a little pissed i see. really no need for it we are all a little mad it was pushed back.

listen i can understand u want m4 and that is perfectly fine. i want m4 also that's why i ordered the knife. i'm going to keep my order in for the knife i was just a little pissed when i first herd it was going to be pushed back again.

and if u would have read what i said i know it isn't spyderco or knifeworks fault. it's all crucible. i have nothing but good things to say about knifeworks. this will be my first spyderco knife but i know they have a reputation of good quality and taking care of their customers.

Last edited:
I would not mind S90v in place of M4 if M4 availability could stop the effort.
If G-10 is the issue, I guess I could live with CF. :p

(that might be the next one in line anyway)

alfaholic said:
Roger is one of the straightest most honorable gentleman I know. I feel sure he would be more than prepared to refund your 20 rather than tarnish his reputation........He does not do business that way.

I know he is a good guy and I wasn't trying to say he wasn't and that was absolutely not my point. I was just trying to say threatening to cancel your order is going to do nothing to help the situation. However it does say non refundable deposit so I wouldn't expect him to when running a business.

whoa with the attitude. a little pissed i see. really no need for it we are all a little mad it was pushed back.

listen i can understand u want m4 and that is perfectly fine. i want m4 also that's why i ordered the knife. i'm going to keep my order in for the knife i was just a little pissed when i first herd it was going to be pushed back again.

and if u would have read what i said i know it isn't spyderco or knifeworks fault. it's all crucible. i have nothing but good things to say about knifeworks. this will be my first spyderco knife but i know they have a reputation of good quality and taking care of their customers.

I'm not pissed at all. I don't care at all and can wait another year. I don't need instant gratification. I just don't see the point in making 20 posts about where the knife is. It's not going to speed anything up as you will get it when the box shows up at your door. Spyderco knives aren't that expensive so why not support them and buy a different model to use in the meantime. You can buy a great knife for what it cost to go eat out a couple times or buy a video game.

I know it sucks, but waiting is half the fun sometimes. All that anticipation fuels the knifenut addiction in my opinion:D

Mine has been pre-ordered, my deposit is safe with Roger, and I can wait until it comes out the way it was intended to. I'm still looking forward to getting this one:thumbup:

Hell, I dont mind waiting, but its never good business to put the blame on someone in the supply chain. You gotta be prepared to take a little heat if you aren't delivering as promised. This thing is one of the most hotly anticipated Spydies of all time! No I dont want it rushed and screwed up in the process. But I would be even happier if it was ready on time as promised, although I know from experience how unlikely this is (in fact, I was pretty much convinced that September would be the actual delivery date). But now we have NO delivery date at all. That's not so cool. As far as the steel goes there doesn't seem to be any shortage of Bradley's, which are also made of M4. It's only 500 pieces for crying out loud, how much steel do they need?

And if we do have to wait longer, what I would like to see, if its AT ALL possible, is for the blade to be DLC coated. If that could be done, I would be prepared to wait until the end of the year!

I know he is a good guy and I wasn't trying to say he wasn't and that was absolutely not my point.

My apologies I misread your post........But may I say, just to put everyone's mind at ease, that I am sure that in light of the delay Roger would be happy to work with anyone to sort it out......

Hell, I dont mind waiting, but its never good business to put the blame on someone in the supply chain. You gotta be prepared to take a little heat if you aren't delivering as promised.

Well you are correct but sometimes s**t happens which is out of your control...:D
This knife and the other high tech projects Spyderco have in the pipeline are VERY important to them and I know this because Sal told me.They have a high priority in the company and I am sure they will complete the project as soon as is humanly possible.
But since you live on the wrong side of the country and are a poor misguided Shark's supporter. When I get home I will send you a nice knife from the local Chinese store for you to carry in the meanwhile:p

For those who have not seen it here is a pic of another upcoming model......and it is awesome!!

IMG_2898.jpg
[/IMG]

Back