m43 arrived

Theres your problem right there. Are you using two hands? You cant get near the velocity you need with two hands to properly utilize the design of a Khukri. Yes it can be done but is not nearly as efficient in my opinion. F=MA might come to mind if your an engineering student. Mass is fixed in the weight of your Khukri. Therefore the only function you have control of to maximize force applied to what your chopping is acceleration. Two handed chop just dont cut it. Pardon the pun if you will. Using your wrist to snap some speed at the end of your swing and even your last three fingers (whatever you call them) to complement your wrist snap gets you plenty of acceleration to get the job done. If your trying to use your Khuk like an ax then it aint gonna happen and you will be disappointed with your results. You really should read up on the "snap chop" method and try it. The sledghammer swing just dont work very well.

Well, i was just noticing that it was more comfortable with 2 hands. I was not actually using two hand to start with. Maybe that really does mean i might just need a thicker handle. It doesn't even really feel like i can get enough of the thing in my hand to even perform a snap.

This is why i've been asking for handle girths from people. So that i have a concrete idea if this thing really is a bit small, or if they are just made that way or what??? It just feels like there isn't enough of it in my hand to get control of it. As the pic above shows, i've got alot of palm real estate left.

For example, your average toilet paper tube is 5.5 inches circumference. That size, as a handle feels really really good in my hand; 5" and change fills my hand palm and gives me a good grip on and object.

...it really would be helpful if handle circumference were added as a spec. I really would appreciate if anyone ..anyone at all would post their handle circumference. anyone??? I've read all about snap cuts. Please ..just give me some numbers.

I"d rather not have to return this thing. But im not going to sit on a $175 chunk of steel that i cannot use. I also do not want to cause Auntie problems if it cannot be avoided, but paying $30 more for a non dotd that would function for me is far more doable. So please ..anyone ..circumference numbers. I really am asking for them. really.

Last edited:
By your picture it doesn't look like it's all that too small.
You don't grip a khukuri for chopping as you would a hammer.
You want to lock your thumb over your middle finger and use your palm and your last two fingers to start and stop the snap cut.

As far as imperfections go.... None are exactly perfect, as these are handmade items made in a 3rd world country with basic tools and fly halfway around the world before they even get here for sale.

Thank you both so very much!!! I really appreciate that!

Go carefully at first until you get used to it and build finger strength for this positioning. Make sure you read the safety thread.

By your picture it doesn't look like it's all that too small.
You don't grip a khukuri for chopping as you would a hammer.
You want to lock your thumb over your middle finger and use your palm and your last two fingers to start and stop the snap cut.

As far as imperfections go.... None are exactly perfect, as these are handmade items made in a 3rd world country with basic tools and fly halfway around the world before they even get here for sale.
I'm with Karda here-that looks pretty good as far as fit goes-if it 's too big around you will find that as you get tired you have less and less of a grip on the thing, especially with shifty/slippery wraps.
That and the fact that grippy handles+correct technique=blisters and loosened calluses.
If you hafta wrap it, cotton cord soaked with superglue is permanent, but if you wax it it's not going to maul your hand as badly. It's also very durable-this dao has about 2 years of an average of 600 cuts a night on it and all it got was shiny:
image.jpg
It's your khuk, so adapt it as you choose, obviously-just go try it out a little before you modify it. Gives a baseline understanding of how they work.

I'm with Karda here-that looks pretty good as far as fit goes-if it 's too big around you will find that as you get tired you have less and less of a grip on the thing, especially with shifty/slippery wraps.
That and the fact that grippy handles+correct technique=blisters and loosened calluses.
If you hafta wrap it, cotton cord soaked with superglue is permanent, but if you wax it it's not going to maul your hand as badly. It's also very durable-this dao has about 2 years of an average of 600 cuts a night on it and all it got was shiny:
View attachment 495016
It's your khuk, so adapt it as you choose, obviously-just go try it out a little before you modify it. Gives a baseline understanding of how they work.

Ok. thank you so much for your advice. Maybe i'm just used to giant american handles. I'd still like to hear from more people; i'm sure i'm not the only one with this type of concern.

thanks again all!

Yeah, I really think the handle is likely fine for you. Your hands don't appear to be giant, and really, that's what it would take for an HI handle to be too small. My father has much larger hands than I do, and even he thinks the 3.5ish inch handle on my KLVUK is more comfortable than the ones on my other kukris.

On the other hand (no pun intended), if you really need a huge handle, get a Cherokee Rose - they're basically built for gorillas.

Most of my 15" - 16" khuks are running from 3" - 4.15"; my 18" and above 3.5" - 4.5".

My Tarwar sword is at 5", but still comfortable. The Tarwar is a beast, so speed isn't everything; in it's case, strength, accuracy, and technique is what makes it formidable.

Personally, I find anything from 3" - 4.5" perfectly comfortable; and anything above 4.5" is unwieldy one handed. Swords 4.5" and bigger are pretty comfortable using a 1 1/2 hand - 2 handed grip.

After reviewing your photo, I too agree that your hands do not look excessively large, and the handle seems quite right, and comfortable.

If you are expecting to hold the and use the khukuri like a machete, then you are using it incorrectly. A grip and swing of a machete, is markedly different from a khukuri.

I would recommend watching a video that shows you the proper "snap" technique (I believe someone else has already posted the link on your "M43 arrived" thread).

Good luck!

Last edited:
At last, man, awesome!

L.E. Ok, read about your concern in the meanwhile, hope you come up with something to make it right.

Last edited:
Hi pinkeye... The handle length and circumference varies drastically on my 14 HI kukris. I have XXL hands, I rarely find gloves that fit. I find the kami also makes a difference. My "Big Brother" 23in 40oz chitilangi has the thickest and beefiest grip of all, but I also have a light weight 21in Gelbu special that has a very similar grip. The are both Lachhu kami.

I have an ASTK and Manakamana special both also by Lachhu kami with very graceful and strong stepped, ringed grip . They have the EXACT same shape yet the Manakamana special is 25% scaled down. I will post pics in the morn for you showing alot of grips.

I find all the grips very functional, some require a bit of use to get fimiliar with their personality. A kukri should not be held in a death grip. A rolling wrist gives the deepest and most severe cuts.

You've all been so helpful, thankyou. Numbers are so much easier for me to process than the 'feel' of a thing. I am gonna keep it and use it no matter what; if nothing else just to compare it to the functionality of my next HI (gelbu special hopefully).

Now I know to expect:
-3.5"-4" on their smaller knives
-3.5"-4.5" on the midsize
-5" on swords

I'm sure this will be helpful for others in the future.

Last edited:
Hi pinkeye... The handle length and circumference varies drastically on my 14 HI kukris. I have XXL hands, I rarely find gloves that fit. I find the kami also makes a difference. My "Big Brother" 23in 40oz chitilangi has the thickest and beefiest grip of all, but I also have a light weight 21in Gelbu special that has a very similar grip. The are both Lachhu kami.

I have an ASTK and Manakamana special both also by Lachhu kami with very graceful and strong stepped, ringed grip . They have the EXACT same shape yet the Manakamana special is 25% scaled down. I will post pics in the morn for you showing alot of grips.

I find all the grips very functional, some require a bit of use to get fimiliar with their personality. A kukri should not be held in a death grip. A rolling wrist gives the deepest and most severe cuts.

thank you so much

Most of my 15" - 16" khuks are running from 3" - 4.15"; my 18" and above 3.5" - 4.5".

My Tarwar sword is at 5", but still comfortable. The Tarwar is a beast, so speed isn't everything; in it's case, strength, accuracy, and technique is what makes it formidable.

Personally, I find anything from 3" - 4.5" perfectly comfortable; and anything above 4.5" is unwieldy one handed. Swords 4.5" and bigger are pretty comfortable using a 1 1/2 hand - 2 handed grip.

After reviewing your photo, I too agree that your hands do not look excessively large, and the handle seems quite right, and comfortable.

If you are expecting to hold the and use the khukuri like a machete, then you are using it incorrectly. A grip and swing of a machete, is markedly different from a khukuri.

I would recommend watching a video that shows you the proper "snap" technique (I believe someone else has already posted the link on your "M43 arrived" thread).

Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience. Quite helpful!

Back