1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Machete suggestion for super heavy use

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Seyter, Feb 13, 2019.

1. John A. Larsen

John A. Larsen

Jan 15, 2001
  2. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    Not sure which is best but I have heard that Machete don't text. In all seriousness I have an old Ontario US that I've never used, looks good though.

3. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    "Machete don't text" :confused: marcinek don't get.

As for the Ontario, if you haven't used it....how would you know its good?

DocJD likes this.
  4. Peter Hartwig

Peter Hartwig Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2008
    I have 4 or so machetes , but always go with the Ontario. Been doing so for 40 plus years and is my most used blade.
    Not sure it(or any machete) fits the OP's needs, but certainly not the worst choice.

5. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
    Based on what little info was provided, chopping and digging will not work well with a machete. I think what the op really wants, (or should be wanting), is a kukri. Not a lightweight kukri, but a proper thick and heavy one which will act as a hand axe. The combination of weight and geometry really can make a kukri nearly as effective as a hand axe. Digging, also, will benefit from the broad head, it's almost a hand spade.

Do not spend a lot on a 'military' kuk (which should be lightweight), but rather go for the cheaper spring steel type which are used as tools.

19-3ben and Peter Hartwig like this.
  6. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    My "medium heavy duty" user is the 16" Condor Swampmaster. Actually love it. My heavy chopper is the Condor Village Parang and Pack Golok. I generally grab the Pack Golok for the most part. I prefer the wood handles.

The 12" Ontario is quite substantial. But I truly dislike the handle and won't use it even though I own two or three.

Cold Steel makes a pretty stout 18" machete also. Don't know who makes it for them.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  7. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    [​IMG]
    Best machete I ever used.

But seriously, go to baryonyxknife.com
    He’ll hook you up!

19-3ben likes this.
  8. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    The Baryonyx is just about the heaviest duty "machete" that I am aware of. It's a beast.

Henry Beige and 19-3ben like this.
  9. AndreLinoge

AndreLinoge

Nov 20, 2014
    Nothing wrong with chopping wood with a machete. We have to do it all the time on some jobs. Not timber clearing, mind, but plenty of wrist thick saplings and limbs off trees. A machete will dispach that stuff as well as (if not better in some cases) than a heavy chopping knife. Work is force multiplied by distance after all, and taking out chips is taking out chips, if I have a tool that will cut deeply when swung hard because it's thin I dont have to break that chip out by wedging; it comes out because the cuts on either side connect under it.
    Beyond a certain size, none of that matters because an axe or saw becomes the tool for the job anyway, and we would have taken a different shot while out surveying if confronted by such. At that point it would be faster to throw another traverse nail down somewhere and move.

Machetes can chop fine as long as that's not the only thing you're going to be doing. You'd still be hard pressed to replace it with another tool that can dig, chop wood, and clear briars as well and still fit on your belt.

Hurrul and Twindog like this.
  10. 007Airman

007Airman

Dec 23, 2018
    A famous Danny Trejo one liner from Machete the movie. Ontario was a US military issued machete forever so I'd bet it works well enough. It looks great sitting behind my door waiting for zombies, so I'll never use it. 007 don't camp.

Pilsner and SeppukuSamurai like this.
  11. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Inexpensive and effective.

Ontario and Ka-Bar have handles that absorb shock pretty well.

I’m not sure if these can qaulify as machetes though. But for the work you described I believe they would work well.
    AFC160E5-5C6F-42A7-889D-60D009F28179.jpeg 9542D9DD-3F18-4994-B690-AE4F843F1AB6.jpeg

For a lighter option that’s more in tune to an actual machete, Tamontina are very good for the low price.

jbmonkey likes this.
  12. 22-rimfire

Nov 20, 2005
    All this is great but I still don't know what you mean by "Super Heavy Use"?

FortyTwoBlades likes this.
  13. Rob47

Rob47

May 4, 2013
    An entrenching tool. Sharpen one side of it and you’re in business.

DocJD likes this.
  14. Velitrius

Velitrius Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Gotta go with Spicy McHaggis on this one, and say "over 400 lbs".

If by "super heavy use" you mean "abuse", I'd say the Baryonyx Machete or the Cold Steel Kukri Machete.

I can't break either one.

15. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :) Exactly what I was thinking ! Cold Steel Special Forces Shovel or similar . :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

jux t likes this.
  16. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

This is almost the exact answer I would give, except I would say, get the Golok first, for reasons of instant gratification and because it sounds like it would suit what you want to do with it (digging excepted), use it a little while to see what it does and does not do well, then seek advice from Forty-Two Blades. You will be better prepared to receive that advice once you have experienced what the Golok does well, and what it does not do so well.

hexenjager likes this.
  17. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Sounds more like a job for a tough chopper than a machete. Check out the different CPK/Carothers choppers. Quality is most certainly guaranteed.

If you want to dig with it, a shovel might be a practical addition though the CPK would no doubt withstand digging just fine.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    19-3ben and - SpyderMan - like this.
  18. ronin.graves

ronin.graves Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 4, 2018
    I've had good luck with the Gerber Junior Gator. Super cheap and tough as all get out.

19. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    The answer is the Barryonx machete!!!

20. Dirtbiker

Dirtbiker

Jul 2, 2010
    I’d recommend a tramontina bolo Machete and a cold steel special forces shovel. You can buy both for under $50.

jux t likes this.