Machete suggestion for super heavy use

An entrenching tool. Sharpen one side of it and you’re in business.
This is actually sound advice. I still have my collapsible entrentching tool from the military, and it is sharpened on one side. It's not the most practical machete but can do the job. Plus it digs and can be locked in place horizontally for a pick type tool. All that and it can fit in a large cargo pocket. They will take out saplings no problemo; they're just uncomfortable to swing for any length of time.

I wasn’t joking. It was a serious answer to the OP’s rather “diverse” wants.

I wasn’t joking. It was a serious answer to the OP’s rather “diverse” wants.

On a previous thread, the OP was asking about chopping through a 16" rubber tree with a Tramontina machete. I would suggest a heavier bolo-style knife would be better. Notice the heavy tools used in the videos below.

Video link:

n2s

Depending on what one was digging into.....their can be considerable torque being applied to the tool when levering out pieces of earth and large stones and even the ground itself can be too hard. Even if there was none of the lateral stresses present from "heavy use" digging, one would still need to be prepared in any case, to deal with a blunt tool. Files, course stones, etc.

bkJTilj.jpg

I have liked Ontario's GEN II SP series of knives over time - the SP 52 in the photo is discontinued, but the 53 seems to be around.
Both are a 1/4" stock thickness, tough and forgiving spring steel, and the broad pointed blade shape would move earth well enough if it came to it, I suppose. Once your were done landscaping with it, you should still have some functional edge in the re-curve portion of the blade to use to cut something.

As some have mentioned, might be worth the effort to craft a tool with your cutting tool that you can use to dig or split/baton gnarly pieces of wood and save your large cutting tool for processing material for other related use purposes that are valuable but need an actual functioning edge.

Back