"Made in Sheffield" 1830-1930, A golden age ?

A 3 spring with 5 tools J. Crossland & Sons (1868-1924)
clJCrossland3spring5bladeweb1.jpg

clJCrossland3spring5bladeweb2.jpg

clJCrossland3spring5bladeweb3.jpg

A loss beyond understanding for many that visit here. Mick was one of the definitive words when it came to Sheffield. He provided much insight to me personally as I developed my Sheffield collection both through his thread here and direct contact. Always willing to assist.

We are greatly diminished.

Prayers my brother. And profound thanks.

I am extremely saddened to hear this. Mick and I corresponded a while back - then he dropped out of sight- I got to hear back from him the once more saying that he had a bit of land and he was busy with that- then that was the last I heard from Mick.

Really sad sad news - this thread has lost two amazing contributors with Mick and Charles.

Last edited:
Good news, I traded emails with Mick (Michael Critchlow) this week in regards to this knife. Bruce Voyles recently had a bunch of knives in an auction that were in the "Sheffield Exhibition Knives" book. I managed to buy this 2-inch closed whittler from the auction. Check out some of the knives in the auction! Try as I might, I can't get good photos or scans of pearl.
wkKo1tb.jpg

G0aNaIK.jpg

dD5kN0X.jpg

Good news, I traded emails with Mick (Michael Critchlow) this week in regards to this knife. Bruce Voyles recently had a bunch of knives in an auction that were in the "Sheffield Exhibition Knives" book. I managed to buy this 2-inch closed whittler from the auction. Check out some of the knives in the auction! Try as I might, I can't get good photos or scans of pearl.
wkKo1tb.jpg

G0aNaIK.jpg

dD5kN0X.jpg

Fantastic news Mike, and congratulations on that beauty. I hope that Mick is well, and certainly much recovered! :thumbsup:

Thank you. He said "I'm fit and as well as I have ever been." He knew of these knives before they went on sale in the 1990s and before they ended up in the book, so it was good chatting with him.

Last edited:
I bet that was a good conversation Mike, Nice wee Knife! if you hadn't had the Dime there I would have guessed that knife being bigger- Gorgeous piece Mike.

Thank you. He said "I'm fit and as well as I have ever been." He knew of these knives before they went on sale in the 1990s and before they ended up in the book, so it was good chatting with him.

That's great to hear :) Apologies folks (and Mick) for my erroneous post, I was clearly misinformed! :eek: :thumbsup:

No worries Jack - I am SO SO GLAD to hear Mick is well and happy- what excellent news. I hope one day he comes back to visit his great Thread ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike - just to stand and watch those Cutlers at work!

No worries Jack - I am SO SO GLAD to hear Mick is well and happy- what excellent news. I hope one day he comes back to visit his great Thread ! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mike - just to stand and watch those Cutlers at work!

Thanks Duncan, me too :) :thumbsup:

Back