Made in Western Germany knife

I can't believe how well it cut, still nicks in the blade after 1/2 hr of sharpening. I'll keep sharpening it each week until its nick free. Great tomato sandwich too!

Late to the party, as usual.

Nice knife! Looks like a nice user. It sure sliced those tomatoes well.

Late to the party, as usual.

Nice knife! Looks like a nice user. It sure sliced those tomatoes well.
Thanks. This is going to be my new camp knife. (I'll probably carry it around the house with me for a few weeks too) Now I have to make a sheath for it!

Let's see what I can come up with out of some old saddle bag leather!
uaKrmGa.jpg

Enjoy the knife!
I have a similar knife, I bought it when I was about 14 ( in 1973) with money I saved.
Most the stitching around the sheath is missing because I would use the back of the sheath as a strop.
It was my only fixed blade hunting knife for about 10 years.

hk3.JPG

Really awesome find! You did a GREAT job at cleaning that thing up, and sharpening it. Maybe you can ask family members about it and who owned might have it?

Enjoy the knife!
I have a similar knife, I bought it when I was about 14 ( in 1973) with money I saved.
Most the stitching around the sheath is missing because I would use the back of the sheath as a strop.
It was my only fixed blade hunting knife for about 10 years.

View attachment 1151099
Very nice! New knives are cool but there's just something about an old knife that's cooler.

Really awesome find! You did a GREAT job at cleaning that thing up, and sharpening it. Maybe you can ask family members about it and who owned might have it?
Thanks! I found the knife in a house I bought 7 or so years ago. Didn't know the owners.

Made in Western Germany means it is post-WW2 and before reunification (1990). This style of knife was imported to the US in large numbers ca 1950s-1970s.

Can you make out any brand stamp on the tang on the side opposite the Made in Western Germany marking? Try a little 000 steel wool with mineral oil to clean the active rust off, and you might be able to make out the brand.

The handle scales are real stag, probably sambar.

Just to add on to this, the found knife was usually called the "Remington" pattern by the German factories and US importers. It has that name because many times the blades, pommels, spacers, and guards are reminiscent of some of the Remington RH series hunting knives -

The Germans often named the knives after regions or models they were copying.

Wonder if it was a Gutman cutlery, many different ones it could be. I have seen the same pattern in an antique store.

Well done. I like the look of it now.

A well fitting sheath is all you need to make for it now. It should serve you admirably then.

A camp knife is a perfect use for this piece.

Well done. I like the look of it now.

A well fitting sheath is all you need to make for it now. It should serve you admirably then.

A camp knife is a perfect use for this piece.
I hadn't considered camp knife until I cut the tomato. I asked my wife what we had that I could butcher, ha ha. Found a tomato that was starting to look a little old. The knife is just barely under 3/16 thick so I didn't expect a nice cut, however, it was great. And it still needs more sharpening to clean up the nicks. So camp knife it is and when the sheath is done I'll carry it around the house and maybe in the truck.

Very nice to see the Old Boy back in action. That knife looks to have a bit of soul and lots of character. Well done bringing it back into service...as it should be.

Thanks for sharing your pics and experiences!
Thank you. I've never tried to restore a knife before. It has been a fun project but it still needs work. It has been a good first experience.

I just did a quick clean up but I don't see any markings.
,,,it really doesn't look like there are any signs of any markings.

one may at times find identical looking German knives with the exact same pattern
but are however differently marked with various trademarks or brands.
It is likely that such knives underwent the process of fabrication
with the help of the same caring hands spread out across Solingen
involved in part fitting cutlery products via the subcontracting process
which made up solingen's unsung cottage industry.
case in point, is a near identical knife with a Carl Schlieper mark...
img.axd

10420484_2m.jpg

Last edited:
I see ebay has an original Solingen leather sheath that would fit perfectly. It might be nice to put these 2 pieces together.

Back