Made my first ever blade today

That looks fantastic! I really like the lines, and for a necker I don't think the finger hold is too deep at all.

For handle scales, it takes a little planning ahead for pins or bolts to hold the slabs on (holes drilled before heat treat). I think a cord wrap would look great on this - probably better than scales.

You really nailed the plunge and sweep of the blade - great job! That's an area a lot of folks (myself included) really struggle with.

Wow, thanks for the kind words and compliments, guys. Here’s a few pics after polishing the blade up to 600 grit. I think I’m going to stop there. It’s showing every imperfection in my file work. I was thinking of maybe putting on some mesquite scales with nickel pins, but the paracord wrap has crossed my mind as well. I can’t wait to get this thing done and get an edge on it so I can see how successful my heat treat was.
2OKQDbt.jpg

qW69W1v.jpg

ftheKOQ.jpg

GtiufTT.jpg

One issue you will have with wooden scales is that deep finger pocket. The scale could easily break tere. Also, there is no rivet hole forward of that spot.
Micarta would work well. If you don't have a piece I would be glad to send you some at no chare.

If you go with paracord (I would), you need to decide where it will start and end, and grind into the perimeter between them. Just a tad - .050" - is plenty. This will keep the wrap from sticking out too much as well as lock the cord from sliding forward or back. Before doing the wrap, pull the core strands out of the cord and only use the shell. Once the wrap is done (re-do it as many times as you want until you like the look), harden it by lightly brushing the cord with slow cure epoxy. Just the tiniest amount on the brush (use a disposable flux brush) will soak in ad leave the cord looking dry, but when it has cured the cord will be locked in place solid and strong. If you need paracord, I have lots in all sorts of colors. I would be glad to send you some.

Well, I finally got a handle on my knife. Thanks, Stacy, for the paracord and Micarta. I also got an edge put on it. It’s not as sharp as I would like, it shaved, but won’t whittle hair, and still hangs up a little bit on paper. I’ll keep working on the edge until I get it where I want it.

This has been a fun project, and now I’m hooked. Can’t wait to start on the next one. If there’s anyone near by me, that would let me come learn something from them, I’d sure be appreciative. Anyhow, here’s a pic of the finished product. I know it’s not perfect, but I’m proud of it.

8Xc3mru.jpg

Looks good.

The way to make a paracord handle permanent is to impregnate it with resin. Mix up some slow cure epoxy and use a flux brush to apply it VERY SPARINGLY. just a light brushing so it immediately soaks in and looks like it isn't wet. Once applied, take an old Tee-shirt or lint free cloth/rag and wrap it around the handle and squeeze hard. Remove the cloth and check for any wet looking spots. Re-squeeze if necessary.
Place the knife on the edge of a workbench and put a weight on the blade so the handle is off the edge. Come back in 5 to 15 minutes and flip over. Dry-brush any wet looking spots if needed. Flip it every 15 minutes until the resin on your mix board has gelled. Let cure overnight. It should look like normal paracord when dry, but the cord will be locked in place firmly. Remember - it only takes a tiny amount ... don't soak the cord with the resin.

Good job! Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see the next one

Back