Magnacut Is In The House!!!

dogboye dogboye , if you are interested, Nathan is going through Magnacut heat treat optimization (and ongoing comparison with D3V and 4V) as we speak, if you are interested: CPK's Magnacut. There are numerous related posts of his in that thread among a lot of other stuff, so you have to browse back a bit to get the full picture ...

My personal conclusion is that D3V and Infi (Nathan has done comparisons in the past, they come out rather similar) are just fine for my fixed blades.

THANKS for the info, ferider ferider ! I will check out that thread. I'm not at all against Magnacut. But I'm kinda in the same boat as you: 3V, D3V, and INFI pretty much take care of all my fixed blade needs, and don't find any of them particularly lacking (although it certainly seems easier for me to sharpen, or keep sharp, INFI, than either of the 3V heat-treats). With no real loss in edge holding, that I can discern. But I'm always interested in learning something new, so I'll check that thread out.

dogboye dogboye , if you are interested, Nathan is going through Magnacut heat treat optimization (and ongoing comparison with D3V and 4V) as we speak, if you are interested: CPK's Magnacut. There are numerous related posts of his in that thread among a lot of other stuff, so you have to browse back a bit to get the full picture ...

My personal conclusion is that D3V and Infi (Nathan has done comparisons in the past, they come out rather similar) are just fine for my fixed blades.
Um... that linked me to a "Random Thought Thread." Is that the correct thread?

Alot of excitement in the Swamp these last few weeks...

It would appear our Magnacut blade is completing final testing very shortly! A large amount of time and effort goes into testing and measuring new steels to ensure they meet our standards (HT, grind height, edge thickness, handle shape).

All these things go into the creation of a new knife, especially with a new steel.

This upcoming offer from Swamp Rat should prove to be exciting for those of you wanting some new flavors.

My biggest interest in Magnacut is how it'll turn any knife design into essentially a dive knife, and "A Swamp Knife for The Swamps" sounds awesome.

To Answer dogboye dogboye Question, In my personal usage, Id prefer INFI over anything because of how I use my blades. For me, Infi provides the best combination of desirable attributes. Edge retention, Ease of sharpening, corrosion resistance, Edge stability, and yield strength.

Upon viewing the test videos of D3V, Magnacut and INFI, along with personal experience, Here are my thoughts.

Magnacut: has most wear resistance of the bunch, But lacks ease of sharpening compared to INFI, and lacks Edge stability compared to INFI and D3V. Not sure of the yield strength but given the test videos I wouldn't use Magna as a prybar anytime soon... Also corrosion ceases to exist. Dibs on a Swamp Rat Poseiden's Trident!

D3V: Has higher wear resistance than INFI while maintaining on par edge stability. In doing this you're giving up ease of sharpening. Im not sure of the corrosion resistance, but I've never had a problem with my D3V. (its also important noting HOW different steels corrode. INFI has a tendency to stain long before showing signs of pitting and can be circumvented easier and sooner. Normal 3V I've has has pitted quite easily Hopefully someone can weigh in on how D3V Rusts) D3V also has great yield strength for prying.

INFI: Has the lowest wear resistance of the bunch but is the easiest to sharpen. It does this while retaining edge stability on par with D3V, and better than Magna. As stated above corrosion is hardly ever an issue and is easily remedied by washing the rust off with dish soap and a tooth brush or sponge and oiling the blade after. Yield strength is great, pry all you want.

Please note these scores are comparative to the other steels.
Score--------------------3------------------2---------------1
Edge Retention---------MagnaCut-------D3V-------------INFI
Ease of Sharpening----INFI---------------D3V-------------MC
Corrosion Resistance--MagnaCut-------INFI--------------D3V
Edge Stability-----------D3V--------------INFI--------------MC
Yield Strength----------INFI or D3V------INFI or D3V------MC
Magna: 9
D3V: 10-11
INFI: 10-11

Individual ratings

Magna
Edge Retention: 3
Ease of sharpening: 1
Corrosion resistance: 3
Edge Stability: 1-2
Yield Strength: 1
Total Score: 9-10

D3V
Edge Retention: 2
Ease of sharpening: 2 (Ive heard reports of it being a bear to sharpen)
Corrosion resistance: 1-2 (results vary someone please weigh in on how it rusts)
Edge Stability: 3
Yield Strength: 3
Total Score: 11-12

INFI
Edge Retention: 1
Ease of sharpening: 3
Corrosion Resistance: 2
Edge Stability: 2-3

I work with wood, so personally Id pick INFI, being able to leave it in the rain without worrying, and sharpen it on a coffee mug rocks. D3V would be great for cutting bolts all day.. but INFI can do that too. Pick yer poison.

Sorry for the long write up, I hope the chart format is readable on mobile phones.

Last edited:
My biggest interest in Magnacut is how it'll turn any knife design into essentially a dive knife, and "A Swamp Knife for The Swamps" sounds awesome.

To Answer dogboye dogboye Question, In my personal usage, Id prefer INFI over anything because of how I use my blades. For me, Infi provides the best combination of desirable attributes. Edge retention, Ease of sharpening, corrosion resistance, Edge stability, and yield strength.

Upon viewing the test videos of D3V, Magnacut and INFI, along with personal experience, Here are my thoughts.

Magnacut: has most wear resistance of the bunch, But lacks ease of sharpening compared to INFI, and lacks Edge stability compared to INFI and D3V. Not sure of the yield strength but given the test videos I wouldn't use Magna as a prybar anytime soon... Also corrosion ceases to exist. Dibs on a Swamp Rat Poseiden's Trident!

D3V: Has higher wear resistance than INFI while maintaining on par edge stability. In doing this you're giving up ease of sharpening. Im not sure of the corrosion resistance, but I've never had a problem with my D3V. (its also important noting HOW different steels corrode. INFI has a tendency to stain long before showing signs of pitting and can be circumvented easier and sooner. Normal 3V I've has has pitted quite easily Hopefully someone can weigh in on how D3V Rusts) D3V also has great yield strength for prying.

INFI: Has the lowest wear resistance of the bunch but is the easiest to sharpen. It does this while retaining edge stability on par with D3V, and better than Magna. As stated above corrosion is hardly ever an issue and is easily remedied by washing the rust off with dish soap and a tooth brush or sponge and oiling the blade after. Yield strength is great, pry all you want.

Ease of Sharpening----INFI---------------D3V-------------Magnacut
Edge Stability-----------D3V--------------INFI--------------MagnaCut
Yield Strength----------INFI or D3V------INFI or D3V------MagnaCut

Individual ratings

Magna

D3V
Corrosion resistance: 1-2 (results vary someone please weigh in on how it rusts)

INFI

I work with wood, so personally Id pick INFI, being able to leave it in the rain without worrying, and sharpen it on a coffee mug rocks. D3V would be great for cutting bolts all day.. but INFI can do that too. Pick yer poison.

Sorry for the long write up, I hope the chart format is readable on mobile phones.
Excellent response! Thank you for the write-up.
I THINK I'm right in there about the same as you with respect to INFI vs. (D)3V. And I write (D)3V because I've yet to ascertain a distinct difference between examples I have that supposedly are 3V and D3V. I REALLY like INFI.
I haven't tried anything in Magnacut. And probably won't unless Busse or Bussekin move to it on some knives. I just don't have the desire to pursue it as a steel with what I already have. But I won't turn up my nose at it, if I see a knife I like that uses it. Especially now that i've heard/read some more about it in this thread.

Individual ratings

Magna

D3V

INFI

Agree with most that you wrote. Except, I find Infi to be a little less corrosion resistant than D3V, and I had corrosion on both. And I sharpen both with ease (by hand) on my Spyderco ceramic bench stone.

Now, for good measure, you should include SR77 as well :) Love that stuff.

Individual ratings

Magna

D3V

INFI

What makes Magnacut more difficult to sharpen than D3V?...is it carbides or optimal HT...both? I have never used it.

What makes Magnacut more difficult to sharpen than D3V?...is it carbides or optimal HT...both? I have never used it.

This sounds entirely non-sensical to me, from what Larrin has stated the grindability of Magnacut should be quite high. The grindability of 3V should also be quite low, that is pretty suggestive that one would have to grind much longer to get to the same endpoint for any given sharpening of equal level of dull or damage.

It's the same way as saying 'higher edge retention', which of course, means little unless you qualify it with what type of materials you are cutting as the nature of this change can drastically effect this outcome for any steel and make it either a good choice or a poor choice.

This sounds entirely non-sensical to me, from what Larrin has stated the grindability of Magnacut should be quite high. The grindability of 3V should also be quite low, that is pretty suggestive that one would have to grind much longer to get to the same endpoint for any given sharpening of equal level of dull or damage.

It's the same way as saying 'higher edge retention', which of course, means little unless you qualify it with what type of materials you are cutting as the nature of this change can drastically effect this outcome for any steel and make it either a good choice or a poor choice.

nonsensical? Are you referring to my question, or jack's relative estimation of grindabilities?

Back