1. Week 51 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C244GP Native Chief G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 21 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 50 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, Cold Steel Stickers & Boker Tree Brand Hat , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Maine Axes -post 'em up

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Speaking of JMTCO, I got this today. I came here to ask if anyone knew what it was, never heard of them. Nice coincidence.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
  3. BlackShadowDog

BlackShadowDog

Jun 3, 2017
    This was at an estate sale 2 weeks back. I didn't know at the time what it was, but the internets sorted me out, and I went back and got it the next day (cheap). Neat little cruiser in great shape.

[​IMG]

I live in upstate NY and oddly, we're driving 22hrs west and north to go canoeing. I'll try and get a more interesting photo of it there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    halfaxe, garry3 and Agent_H like this.
  5. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  6. halfaxe

halfaxe

Nov 29, 2012
    The diamond M with the two crescent moons. I have one. Mine doesn't have Brecks on it. I think the logo was discussed before but I can't remember if anyone came up with information.

7. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Is it wrong I kind of miss Cooperhill's photos on this thread?

Not in place of any of course. :thumbsup:

Square_peg, Moonw and halfaxe like this.
  8. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Such a thing does not exist on the west coast. I have never came across a Maine axe out here. :(

9. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    In fairness, I have found close to 2000 axes/hatchets/heads over the last 3-4 years and have only found 1 Puget Sound. ;)

Square_peg likes this.
  10. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Perhaps a swap........

Agent_H likes this.
  11. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Can't "like" twice lol

12. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I have found one. A very thin dbl bit that we managed some how to identify as a Emerson & Stevens here on this board. Only one I have ever seen.

Square_peg likes this.
  13. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Collins made at least some of the Breecks Victor axes. Brecks is for Joeseph Breck and Sons.
    I think those crescent moon M stamps have been identified. I was thinking it was Mann but it makes sense that I could be mistaken in that and it is Collins.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    halfaxe likes this.
  14. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Did a little more digging. The crescent moons with a m is said to resemble a design found on a paper label of a Mann axe. Not at all sure just who made it.

halfaxe likes this.
  15. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Agent_H likes this.
  16. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey

Jun 1, 2017

Grafton, I’d love to hear more details on your S&N Hudson Bay axe research. Specifically the characteristics of the 4 variations and corresponding time periods (I know I’m assuming that the ll bean products you're referencing were the same as the S&N product and if that’s not the case I should be set straight).

Below is a S&N HB I got a few days ago. It's in great condition but I'm pretty sure the haft wasn't original so I still have to figure out what I'm going to do about that. There are also a couple of pictures with my ‘new owners’ Penobscot kindling axe for comparison. Anyway, I'm curious about the age and from your comments I would guess pre 60s (that's a big window) and it makes me curious about the 4 variations you mentioned. For example, one of the primary differences in the axes below is the angle of the blade slope. The older axe has a 25 degree slope while the newer one has a 40 degree slope. It looks as though the axe you are commenting on has a 40 degree slope as well. Are there just the 2 different angles over time or are there others I haven’t seen? Other differences would be length (old is 5 13/16", new is 6 3/4"), wedge shape and pre-blade poll length (old is 1 7/8", new is 1 3/4").

Thank for any and all insight you have to share! And I apologize if some of this is covered earlier…most of the pictures don’t appear give the age of the post.

Great stuff all around, thanks all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    halfaxe and Agent_H like this.
  17. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

If you need a spanner wrench to get that big wedge out...

That is cool. Your first post here and I gather not your first rodeo @Glenn Bailey.
    Very different heads - at least from one another and time. Seeing them together is telling. Thank you :thumbsup:

Any good stories on either?

18. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey

Jun 1, 2017
    Thanks! Got lucky on the old one- poorly posted action site grab. The other I bought new- I was excited to support the new S&N owners. It's great for limbing on slopes- using the blade as a hook for moving brush is invaluable with questionable footing.

Agent_H likes this.
  19. halfaxe

halfaxe

Nov 29, 2012
    That older Hudson Bay by S&N is in great shape Glenn. I have three of that style, one is marked L.L. Bean. I also have an L.L. Bean Hudson Bay that appears to have been made by Collins. My opinion is the older S&N axes are a superior design. Mine came on three different length handles 18, 22 and 24 inch. Not sure if any of the handles are original but they all are old and well-fitted with the big iron wedge that S&N was known for.