1. Week 49 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10
    Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco C41GP5 Native 5 G10 + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships! Be sure to read the rules before entering!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Dec 7 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Maine Axes -post 'em up

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Apr 18, 2012.

1. jblyttle

jblyttle Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2014
    Speaking of JMTCO, I got this today. I came here to ask if anyone knew what it was, never heard of them. Nice coincidence.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
  3. BlackShadowDog

BlackShadowDog

Jun 3, 2017
    This was at an estate sale 2 weeks back. I didn't know at the time what it was, but the internets sorted me out, and I went back and got it the next day (cheap). Neat little cruiser in great shape.

[​IMG]

I live in upstate NY and oddly, we're driving 22hrs west and north to go canoeing. I'll try and get a more interesting photo of it there.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  4. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    halfaxe, garry3 and Agent_H like this.
  5. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
  6. halfaxe

halfaxe

Nov 29, 2012
    The diamond M with the two crescent moons. I have one. Mine doesn't have Brecks on it. I think the logo was discussed before but I can't remember if anyone came up with information.

7. Agent_H

Agent_H Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Is it wrong I kind of miss Cooperhill's photos on this thread?

Not in place of any of course. :thumbsup:

Square_peg, Moonw and halfaxe like this.
  8. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Such a thing does not exist on the west coast. I have never came across a Maine axe out here. :(

9. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    In fairness, I have found close to 2000 axes/hatchets/heads over the last 3-4 years and have only found 1 Puget Sound. ;)

Square_peg likes this.
  10. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Perhaps a swap........

Agent_H likes this.
  11. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Can't "like" twice lol

12. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    I have found one. A very thin dbl bit that we managed some how to identify as a Emerson & Stevens here on this board. Only one I have ever seen.

Square_peg likes this.
  13. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Collins made at least some of the Breecks Victor axes. Brecks is for Joeseph Breck and Sons.
    I think those crescent moon M stamps have been identified. I was thinking it was Mann but it makes sense that I could be mistaken in that and it is Collins.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    halfaxe likes this.
  14. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Did a little more digging. The crescent moons with a m is said to resemble a design found on a paper label of a Mann axe. Not at all sure just who made it.

halfaxe likes this.
  15. jblyttle

Sep 3, 2014
    Agent_H likes this.
  16. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey

Jun 1, 2017

Grafton, I’d love to hear more details on your S&N Hudson Bay axe research. Specifically the characteristics of the 4 variations and corresponding time periods (I know I’m assuming that the ll bean products you're referencing were the same as the S&N product and if that’s not the case I should be set straight).

Below is a S&N HB I got a few days ago. It's in great condition but I'm pretty sure the haft wasn't original so I still have to figure out what I'm going to do about that. There are also a couple of pictures with my ‘new owners’ Penobscot kindling axe for comparison. Anyway, I'm curious about the age and from your comments I would guess pre 60s (that's a big window) and it makes me curious about the 4 variations you mentioned. For example, one of the primary differences in the axes below is the angle of the blade slope. The older axe has a 25 degree slope while the newer one has a 40 degree slope. It looks as though the axe you are commenting on has a 40 degree slope as well. Are there just the 2 different angles over time or are there others I haven’t seen? Other differences would be length (old is 5 13/16", new is 6 3/4"), wedge shape and pre-blade poll length (old is 1 7/8", new is 1 3/4").

Thank for any and all insight you have to share! And I apologize if some of this is covered earlier…most of the pictures don’t appear give the age of the post.

Great stuff all around, thanks all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    halfaxe and Agent_H like this.
  17. Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

If you need a spanner wrench to get that big wedge out...

That is cool. Your first post here and I gather not your first rodeo @Glenn Bailey.
    Very different heads - at least from one another and time. Seeing them together is telling. Thank you :thumbsup:

Any good stories on either?

18. Glenn Bailey

Glenn Bailey

Jun 1, 2017
    Thanks! Got lucky on the old one- poorly posted action site grab. The other I bought new- I was excited to support the new S&N owners. It's great for limbing on slopes- using the blade as a hook for moving brush is invaluable with questionable footing.

Agent_H likes this.
  19. halfaxe

halfaxe

Nov 29, 2012
    That older Hudson Bay by S&N is in great shape Glenn. I have three of that style, one is marked L.L. Bean. I also have an L.L. Bean Hudson Bay that appears to have been made by Collins. My opinion is the older S&N axes are a superior design. Mine came on three different length handles 18, 22 and 24 inch. Not sure if any of the handles are original but they all are old and well-fitted with the big iron wedge that S&N was known for.