Maine Axes -post 'em up

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by cooperhill, Apr 18, 2012.

1. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    So what's the difference between a wedge and a half wedge?

[​IMG]

Looks like the seller took this one down. It was purdy.

[​IMG]

2. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    The Half Wedge seems to be a thinner version of the Wedge. Same straight sides, but the poll isn't as wide.

3. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    Look at the pretty emerson there, and then go look at the suspected emerson on page two that I posted. They look kind of similar.

4. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    I am not really sure. Ive heard the term 3/4 wedge used too. Im going to assume they are just slightly different in terms of geometry.

5. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    I have no clue now, I forgot about them. Typed things wrong, should've mentioned I only bought the Snealley.

6. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    I got a really sweet Spiller from Operator that I need to get a handle for.

7. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    I picked up a sweet 3 pound spiller in great shape today for about 10 bucks. Came with a fairly nice handle, good grain, 32 inch. its curved which I dont like but I will keep it on anyway. Also got a couple scythe blades, a sater banko hatchet (5 bucks) and and a sweet walters black diamond, probably around 3 pounds, in exchange for carving an axe handle for a little KATCO 1 1/2 pound double bit. an excellent day!

8. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    Now you two are doing well! Im pretty sure all I did today was lose my chance at an LL Bean canoe axe. Any pics of your finds?

And I never knew ANY of the Maine brands made double bits that light. Cool!

9. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    No pics, I have em but im running a windows ME which is not compatible with my camera. Id get a new computer but Id rather spend the money on axes =)

10. Crazyotter

Crazyotter

Jun 26, 2010
    I thought you guys might like this picture. Threw two 3 1/2 pound axes in for comparison, top is a S&N, bottom is True Temper. See that big thing in the middle? Its a 5lb Snow and Nealley... photos don't really do the sheer size justice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Agent_H likes this.
  11. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Wow--what a beast! :eek:

12. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    I saw an axe like that one, I think it was 4 lb sneally. Had the same long bit, I think it was a later axe. Too bad they didnt keep the bit shorter, fatter and widen the poll. It makes an axe a lot more maneuverable to have the weight hug to the line of the handle.

13. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I like it!

14. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Here is a recent pick up. A Marsh & Sons axe - not sure what to call this style? g-pig?. I hung this a re-claimed axe handle from another similar style axe. It's super thin which i like.

[​IMG]

15. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    I love that finish on that handle. What'd you use?

16. bearhunter

bearhunter

Sep 12, 2009
    That looks awesome Coop!

Pegs, I bet he used his BLO soaker ;)

17. G-pig

G-pig

Jul 5, 2011
    Its gorgeous, thats for sure. You know, if you wanna... rid yourself... just let me know. =)

The pattern is perplexing. I see oodles of the oakies that are lugged or eared like that. The AFA from gransfors, as well as the smaller axes are patterned off of this. I have an oakie with the lugs that still has the beautiful short bit. I dont think youll find much on the charts about them-- and even if you do it wont address the differences that really sets it apart from your standard jersey or something.

18. cooperhill

cooperhill

Nov 14, 2011
    Yup. Raw linseed. The handle was burnished and had a heavy shellac on it which is why it was still good.

Thanks for the info G-pig. I like this better than the gransfors as it has the high centerline that is missing on the GBs. Wish they had copied that.

19. John Frankl

John Frankl

Oct 16, 2001
    Does the high center line force wood apart more effectively? Or?

20. FortyTwoBlades

Mar 8, 2008
    Reduces sticking due to smaller surface area contact against the wood. :)