1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 21 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Kizer Megatherium!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Knives Megatherium, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, May 25; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Makers: Post pics of your knives.

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by jdm61, Jan 25, 2016.

1. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    some recent work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    Just finished this last minute Christmas order. I had this one set aside for myself so I guess I’ll have to wait on mine. Cpm154 at 61rc. 8” cutting edge with black G10 scales. [​IMG]

3. jwccustom57

jwccustom57 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 13, 2017
    The last of the culinary knives from this batch, a 52100 "gyuto" with a modified (beveled front) Wa handle in ebony/bubinga, red and copper spacers. This ones going to my wife's family restaurant for an appropriate amount of professional abuse.
    19-12-1.JPG 19-12-2.JPG 19-12-3.JPG 19-12-4.JPG
    I've primarily focused on outdoor knives but these (2 yanagiba and 2 gyuto) were real fun and I'll probably try some more in the future. Any tips/critique much appreciated.

milkbaby likes this.
  4. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    Just finished this one up. 8” gyuto, Cpm154 at 61rc, walnut and G10 handle. Balances right behind the heel. It’s super thin behind the edge, very light and crazy sharp![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Matt Rochester

Matt Rochester

Nov 28, 2014
    Double post

6. Gilbert M

Gilbert M

Sep 8, 2013
    Here are the last two of 2018. Both have A203-e outer layer then 15n20 and a 52100 core with a coffee etch. First one 8 1/4 blade, stabilized koa handle, turquoise composite spacer and Damascus bolster. Second one has a 9 inch blade, spalted Oregon myrtle (stabilized) handle a domed bronze pin and bronze/g-10 spacer. Also I got to mess around with my new camera.
    Thanks for looking and Happy New Year.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    I love those two gilbert.blades are just lovely
    Is that the 15n20 that's dark and near the edge or the lighter coloured steel nearer the spine?
    And is there enough nickel in it to stop carbon migration when forging?

8. Gilbert M

Gilbert M

Sep 8, 2013
    @John mc c thanks yes that second darker layer is 15n20 the idea is at least the 15n20 has alot more carbon than a203e so migration will be better than the 52100 being next to the A203e (.250). It's a .064 layer of 15n20 and the core is .188 of 52100 after the initial soak I work the steel as quickly as possible with my power hammer to avoid migration.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. John mc c

John mc c

Aug 23, 2018
    Looks great Gilbert
    I'm trying some soon but I'll be doing by hand
    I've done San Mai before not go mai.i like the idea of nickel layer.and looks so cool

Gilbert M likes this.
  10. milkbaby

milkbaby

Aug 1, 2016
    Almost done, just final handle waxing and final edge sharpening... Here's an R&D piece: wide bevel gyuto made out of Alabama Damascus with Honduran rosewood burl and yellow cedar burl handle. Blade is 245 mm long by 53 mm tall at the heel, or in other words 9.65 inches long by 2.09 inches tall in MURICAN. This HRB is freaking gorgeous wood and the pics don't come remotely close to doing it justice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Carterwhopkins

Carterwhopkins KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 12, 2012
    This is a 165mm nakiri made of 52100, it is hardened to 62Rc. The handle and saya are black & white ebony with accents of nickel-silver and buffalo horn. The saya pin is turned and knurled nickel-silver.

[​IMG]

12. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Nice one Carter. I just got some black and white Ebony that is sized for a Wa handle. Looking forward to seeing how the stuff finishes up.

Here's the latest chef out of the shop. 230mm CTS-XHP gyuto with hybrid Buckeye Burl and black paper micarta.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Stromberg Knives

Stromberg Knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 3, 2015
    Here's a set of kitchen knives I just finished for a customer. It's a Gyuto Ktip 210mm and a Santoku Ktip 165mm, both in O1 at 64 HRC. The handles are linen Micarta with paper Micarta bolsters and G10 liners.

[​IMG]

14. HSC ///

HSC ///

Nov 7, 2012
    2 in 1095 and snakewood

[​IMG]

15. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Finished this up recently for a customer who sent me this sweet block of Koa. Always rewarding to work with it! Also my first Saya.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Justin Schmidt

Justin Schmidt Schmidt Forge Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 18, 2016
    Killer knife and saya Robert!
    Here the last chef knife I made. Guy wanted a viking broke back seax inspired one
    [​IMG]

Robert Erickson, milkbaby and FOG2 like this.
  17. Robert Erickson

Feb 2, 2014
    Time to resurrect this thread...
    A few recent kitchen blades, I'm kind of on a prep knife kick.

5" CTS-XHP kitchen prep with Amboyna burl.

[​IMG]

5" San Mai from HHH Knives. The core is Hitachi Blue #2 with a SS shell. Curly Koa handle and African Blackwood ferrule.

[​IMG]

milkbaby, Brock Cutlery and FOG2 like this.
  18. PEU

PEU Gaucho Knifemaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 6, 2006
    7" Chef Knife, Bohler K720, 2mm (0.078") O2 carbon steel, wengue wood and corby bolts. Will be on my Bladeshow Table. Come and say hi !!

[​IMG]

Pablo

Justin Schmidt, milkbaby and FOG2 like this.