1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making a Hinderer great again

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by halden.doerge, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Warbow150

Warbow150 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Hi,
    Old thread, I know, but I have a question regarding the washers:
    The Teflon washers on my 3.5” XM-18 are different sizes. Can I use the 1/4” x 1/2” x .015 PB washers on both sides or do I need a smaller size for the lock side?
    Thanks!

2. highbob

highbob

Mar 17, 2014
    I discovered this thread this past Thursday night, as I'm looking to rehabilitate an older XM-18 3" model that doesn't flip well at all. I gotta believe that replacing the teflon will help some. Anyway, I've ordered the 1/4" x 1/2" x .015th PB washers from USA Knife Maker, and if they don't fit on the lock side, I'll just work one down with a Dremel, or simply use a diamond stone. It's a cheap enough experiment that I won't feel too bad either way, and it's a good way to pass an evening.

3. razor-edge-knives

razor-edge-knives KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2011
    It won't help with the action... Teflon actually has a lower coefficient of friction than pb. If you want it to flip good you will need to do some detent work.

4. highbob

highbob

Mar 17, 2014
    Agreed, but I received the PBs today. I polished them up and put ‘em in. It flips ... okay, about like before, but I actually like this knife for hard(ish) use and EDC. And the PBs did seem to make the centering easier. So I can live with that.

I might mess with the detent, but I’ve got plenty of other bearing-action knives for effortless action. I’ve not carried this Hinderer for a couple years or more, and it’ll be great to have it in the rotation for slightly harder use. I’m not out there digging ditches, but when I’m doing backyard stuff on the weekend or putting up the Xmas lights, I’ll have less compunction about sticking this XM-18 in my pocket.

BTW, Warbow, I used the same sized washer on either side of the pivot. There’s not a lot of clearance on the lock side, but it’s working fine. I don’t see any reason to take any of the edge off other than cosmetics, and I can respect that, but this is fine for my use. Pax!

razor-edge-knives likes this.