Making my new BK11 my own.

Thanks.
I'll take a few better pics of the knife once I pick up a screw.
After losing the screw I got a little discouraged with the project.

I have to say, the new scales make this knife feel a whole lot better in my hand.
My Eskabar might be getting left home more often.

I replaced the lost screw and I've been using my new 11.
I decided to finish it with some cold gun blueing, then I cleaned it up a bit with some fine steel wool.
Here's the final results.

I'm thinking about making a matching firesteel to go with it.

Now I'm torn between my 2 neck knives.
My 14 with micarta just looks sexy, but I think my 11 feels a little better in my hand.
Right now I'm thinking I'll have to take a brake from the 14 and enjoy my necker for now.

I was looking back through some of my old threads and came across this one.
It's been almost 6 years since I picked up this knife on an impulse buy, and this is the knife I'm carrying right now, although it's changed a bit and in a different sheath.

I admit I don't carry this every day, but it's been in my pocket, or on my belt more often than not.
It's been on countless hikes, hunts, and seen even more mundane tasks.
It's dressed deer, cut wood, cord, hundreds of apples, an occasional steak, and it's even cut me a few times.
Like most of you, I own more knives than I know what to do with, and this knife has been on my person probably more than any knife I've owned in 40+ years.

I'm pretty sure this little knife and I will have plenty more "adventures" to come.

Last edited:
I replaced the lost screw and I've been using my new 11.
I decided to finish it with some cold gun blueing, then I cleaned it up a bit with some fine steel wool.
Here's the final results.

I'm thinking about making a matching firesteel to go with it.

Now I'm torn between my 2 neck knives.
My 14 with micarta just looks sexy, but I think my 11 feels a little better in my hand.
Right now I'm thinking I'll have to take a brake from the 14 and enjoy my necker for now.
Hey, whats the story with the firesteel holder? Is it just a standard kydex loop? It goes good with the rest of the pkg! Nice:thumbsup:

Thanks!
I made the firesteel out of a scrap piece of kydex and it's held in place by a small screw from the other side.
IvI' been using a homemade kydey sheath for my 11 in recent years, but still have my 14 in the old sheath.
Hey, whats the story with the firesteel holder? Is it just a standard kydex loop? It goes good with the rest of the pkg! Nice:thumbsup:

Diggin' what ya did with your 11 acerpower! I obviously missed this thread when you originally posted it; thanks for bringing it back out of mothballs for me to enjoy.:)
I carry my BK-11 "necker" daily- don't know how I ever lived without it!
Really liking the blued finish- been intending for a month now to do that to my BK-9, already bought the supplies, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. One thing about doing it though is; I came upon this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cold-blued-not-for-food-prep.1305249/ while researching cold bluing methods and it gave me enough concern that I've decided NOT to do it to my BK-11 or BK-16 since I sometimes use 'em for food prep but not really worried about the BK-9 for that.

Diggin' what ya did with your 11 acerpower! I obviously missed this thread when you originally posted it; thanks for bringing it back out of mothballs for me to enjoy.:)
I carry my BK-11 "necker" daily- don't know how I ever lived without it!
Really liking the blued finish- been intending for a month now to do that to my BK-9, already bought the supplies, just haven't pulled the trigger yet. One thing about doing it though is; I came upon this thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/cold-blued-not-for-food-prep.1305249/ while researching cold bluing methods and it gave me enough concern that I've decided NOT to do it to my BK-11 or BK-16 since I sometimes use 'em for food prep but not really worried about the BK-9 for that.
Thanks!
Pretty sure once you wash off the cold blue it's safe, but I could be wrong.
Luckily I survived either way. :D
The blue on this one is pretty much replaced with a natural patina now anyways.
I've had good luck with apple cider vinegar for a forced patina too.
Haven't used the cold blue on a knife in a while.
Better to be safe than sorry. ;)

Back