Making Scales

So after watching this video, I kinda want to attempt to make some scales for my Kershaw Tone. It was a cheap($29) knife I got from Academy to carry when I go running at night. I have the tools to do it and found some Hunter Orange G10 online at $3.99 for two 1.5" x 5" x 1/8" plates. Think I'm gonna do it.

Are there any suggestions or advice before I jump into this.

[video=youtube;A-RvJpTkzMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-RvJpTkzMY[/video]

Measure 7 times and cut once! :D

Just take your time. my first one took me like 4.5 hours taking my time not getting distracted and such. The second time 1.5 hours. now i'm down to about an hour depending on finishes.

Dont forget to use a respirator or a dustmask in a well ventilated area...or outside. That stuff gets nasty!

Very true! Also safety glasses help when getting in there over the piece.

I went ahead and ordered the G10. Thanks for the suggestions, definitely need to get me a dustmask. Now i get to sit and wait for the material to come in!

Definitely need pictures when done. What color G10 did you get? And where did you get them?

I'll post em up when I finish. Its my first attempt so we'll see how it turns out.

I got: G10 - Hunter Orange 1/8" x 5" x 1.5" Scales PAIR from usaknifemaker.com

You might want to check out the Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment threads and the knife makers threads for more in detail descriptions and ideas.

Making your own scales isn't that hard to do. Patience and a respirator / mask is pretty much all you need. I've made a few sets for some fixed blades, and the really fun part was making my own denim micarta.

I've done a Half Ton and a couple of Chills with wood handles.

It'll be a fun project for you. Make sure you use a respirator while working the G10, and control the dust.

Ric

Make sure you wear a mask and eye protection. Maybe try practicing making scales out of wood first? That's what I'd do.

And you must post pics when you're done. :D

Got the G10 in the mail today. Since it was my first time I just made basic scales. So here are some pics(excuse the quality, from my phone)

img20130118132652.jpg

img20130118145241.jpg

A little side-by-side, still needing some touching up
img20130118155719.jpg

My final scales, Making a cheap knife look good.
img20130118232312.jpg

img20130118232241.jpg

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Last edited:
it really looks good, i'm planning to get some g-10 and some carbon fiber to rehandle my cold steel recon 1 and kershaw skyline

Back