1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Making the new Ratweiler my own (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by Dicko, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks! I figured as much, but wanted to be sure. Now, if I can just figure out that wire wheel business, I'll have a plan! It sounds like the OP has a very busy schedule, and my mofo isn't due anytime soon. I can wait for his insight--thanks again.

2. Dicko

Dicko

Dec 28, 2014
    Just the wheel that cam with the Dremel kit. About mid range in terms of speed. Plenty of passes taking little bits off rather than holding in one spot. I think it would be excellent for removing coating/tidy up between the corrugations on a CBT blade.

3. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    Thanks man--so the blade didn't get too hot, even at the low RPMs? No spraying the blade with water? I definitely have to try this--hand sanding all those grooves has to be a serious PITA.

Thanks again!

4. ExtraBaconPlease

ExtraBaconPlease

Mar 8, 2016
    That beauty is much prettier and razor fricken sharp now, awesome mate!

5. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    I froze a block of water in a large plastic container about the size of an piece of copy paper.
    Once frozen I lay my blade on this as a work surface while I flap wheel/Dremel the coating off.
    If you use the 120 Grit wheels you get a good starting point for this.

[​IMG]

No worries with heat, it's how I got my BG ASH so shiny so fast too.

6. Lance23

Lance23

Jul 24, 2014
    Plus you can leave coating in the fuller..😎👌

7. inkynate

inkynate Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Duuuuude, that TG looks suhweet! :thumbup:

8. Uncle Timbo

Uncle Timbo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 2005
    Hey Dicko...how exactly did you do this?

I etched the logo using cotton wool ear cleaners (I think you folks call them q-tips??). Didn't take any photos of this part unfortuately. Used a battery charger, salt water etc. Very simple to do!

9. Dicko

Dicko

Dec 28, 2014
    G'day! Thanks for the reminder, I'll get around to an explanation with pictures in the next few nights. 👍

Regards,
    Dicko.

10. Robdude

Robdude Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2015
    I have never even held one...but those things look so damn comfortable... are they as comfortable as they look??

11. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Yes they are. The new contoured scales are so nice. If you like the size, it's worth it to give one a try.

12. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    And the different thicknesses (4 really, LE & MO are thinner than the 3/16) can accomodate hands of differen sizes.

13. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Is the MO the terror monkey version elof?

14. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Yeah, that's what I meant. I had a chance to compare to my 3/16 and it's noticeably thinner.

15. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    I didn't realize the terror monkey version was even thinner than the CG 3/16" version. The TM might be a coated LE??? I can't remember when the terror monkeys even showed up.

I had the three versions that I own out last night, a skinny, a fatty, and an LE. It's pretty amazing how well they all fit me. My LE does have liners, though, so maybe it would feel thin without them. I definitely have a favorite at this point....I love that thin LE with the scales they put on them :thumbup:

16. Maqua

Maqua

Jan 21, 2005
    Nice job and cool post! Just curious how people retain gun ownership in Australia? Aren't they all pretty much illegal?

17. FloridaBlade

FloridaBlade

Mar 10, 2015
    There are lots of guns still over there. Simple hunting weapons are still around, but forget about the average guy owning a nice AR-15 and a 30 round mag, or any decent semi-auto rifle for that matter. Basically, they've created a complicated maze of permits, rules and hurtles with class types, all designed to discourage the average citizen from even bothering. For example, you can own a pistol, but I think you have to wait 6 months to get it. And after you finally get it, if you have more than one type they demand you to go to 12 club shoots a year so you can be monitored by big brother in order to "prove" to the nanny state that you should be "allowed" to own a firearm. Some cities in America are getting almost as bad; it's just creeping in more slowly and people don't realize it.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  18. ozgooner

ozgooner

Sep 24, 2011
    It's not that complicated but laws vary from state to state. Where I am you have to do a two hour safety course, then have a police check and wait 28 days before you get your firearms licence. Then it's a 28 day wait after each submission to purchase a firearm.

With a handgun licence, the safety course is more involved, but it's still the same 28 day waiting period for purchases. Depending on the type of handgun the requirement is between four and six club shoots a year, although some clubs have higher internal requirements to encourage regular attendance instead of people trying to cram in their four shoots right at the end of the year when they haven't shot for ten months and present a safety risk.

Much easier collecting knives :) :thumbup:

19. Maqua

Maqua

Jan 21, 2005
    Heck I thought y'all lived in total prohibition!

20. Dicko

Dicko

Dec 28, 2014
    Posted a very basic 'how to'.:thumbup: