Mandatory Snow Pictures

Winter is Coming! Hell yeah...hot chocolate, cookies, crock pot full of beef stew, "Tombstone" on the TV, porch stacked with firewood, and three fireplaces going (I actually have four fireplaces in my 800 square foot house). About 6 inches of snow on the ground, and temps barely above 15 today...expected to drop to below 5 degrees tonight. No place I gotta be.

Crawled all over my tiny property today looking to do some tracking, but kept getting distracted. Probably not a good idea to bring knives and my camera with me. Nothings moving anyway - too damn cold - so I might as well take pics.

Just a couple of my favorite blades.

Man, this thing is beautiful. Still in love with this knife. Ironwood Karda.

Now that's some spalting! I search for excuses to carry this knife.

Scotcha

Gold Member
Nice pics Tony. The blades are stunning as well [emoji106]

swonut

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Yeah, it was 2F this morning when I got up. As a Southern Boy, this cold is something else. I drove to Walmart and then out of habit put my keys in my mouth as I got out of the car and they froze to my lips. FFS, I've never had the windshield wiper fluid freeze.

Nice pictures. I'm hoping to get out to my local park and walking trail and take a few comparisons of January vs August....

schmittie

Gold Member
You silly boys. Sit it a deer stand for days in 10° temps and let's talk ;) :D

Snow storm from a few years ago. Bailey loves the snow!!

Last edited:

VANCE

Gold Member
IMG_20170107_201815_108_zpsufe4hewn.jpg

VANCE

Gold Member
schmittie
Here's what I can tell after approx. 2 weeks of daily carry.

Here's what I like:
Handmade in the US
Built like a tank.
Top notch craftsmanship (I can't say enough about this)
Heavy duty reinforcements on the stress areas( straps & such)
The stitching is perfect
The straps are made to last a long time
Timeless look

Not "cons" pers se, but not what I am used to
Heavy
Not as compartmentalized

I switched from a Maxpedition pack that had 3 outer zippered compartments. Essentially, everything had it's "place". With this style pack everything's "place" for the most part is in the main compartment. I am slowly becoming accustomed to this style and I assume that before too long it will be the new normal for me.

with all the "stuff" I have, it's in the top 3 along w/ my Fiddlebacks & Kamado Joe.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Excellent. Nice contribution, NOLA.

Though schmittie got us all beat on the snow part.

One more, since nothing is melting today with these temps. Headed out to sled with the boys in a few, if I can feel my fingers again.

Pulled out my Rechsteinter Bowie.

Woods bumming with my ol' pal Nussmuk today with his young Esquire in tow. Unfortunately, the snow never materialized for us here.

ebf8dcbee421d85052ea36e4f8d77978.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two of my favorites. We've got snow here and temperatures dropping to -9 at night.

d20b6b7a990b0b7ed69ec504aa2fd462.jpg

Last edited:

TLA

Gold Member
There is plenty of snow up here on the North Slope where I'm working right now and they frown on people carrying a fixed blade knife, so no Fiddlebacks for me until I get back home. Today is another warm day at 21 degrees. I will be glad when it decides to actually be winter again and get cold.