Manix 2 LW screw conversion

uxo2

Gold Member
Thank you Sal
for the go ahead to post it here instead of M&T.

I did a screw conversion and thought some of you who have LWs might want to see how it came out.

My Manix2 LW in Maxamet would be the donor.
Love the steel and LW scales but I HATE rivet construction because I cannot open it up for maintenance nor could I rework the action to make it smoother and easier to open.

This project was originally going to be a simple blade swap to G10 but I could not find
a cheap donor so I remembered I had a thread saved on doing a screw conversion.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...what-to-do-with-the-blue-frn-handles.1258078/

I had nothing to loose in this project because failure simply means I have to buy a G10.
Would I do it again?
Yes... Someone PM'd me and it was like they read my mind.

LW in M4...

The parts OP listed were acquired and I took the plunge.

You can use a hand drill but I highly recommend a Drill press.
Dont apply pressure to the Ball Cage.
Make good deep Center Punches in rivet heads so your bit will not skip off.
Drill out rivet heads (4) Two body rivets and both sides of the PIA rivet. Punch out 2 body rivets. Carefully pull apart the scales.

The figure 8 things and Steel insert are a PIA to drill. Have good drill bits.

ELV2uwVm.jpg
TnFO7wdm.jpg

Once it is de-riveted.

v42Q9M7m.jpg

Finger drill out the scales to 1/8th hole. Power tool is just to much and FRN is easy to screw up.... Trust me I know.
UmDn8Mem.jpg

Parts need some trimming
Vy26EWem.jpg
ugwRMFOm.jpg

This is why I wanted to access the insides...
Lock ball spring and replace steel ball with a ceramic ball to make it smooth and easy like a BM Axis lock.
1 1/2 coils cut. Never go more than 2 coils.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/manix-2-easy-lock-modification.919110/

sqP9MRzm.jpg

iekWT6ym.jpg

Now that it is done, Ill wait on buying a G10 donor because this thing is IMHO Perfect.
Would I do it again? Yes.... Another member who read my mind and said.
LW in M4.

Edit:
Do so at your own peril. Doing this mod will kill your warranty.
Know your own limitations.

Last edited:
Looks good man! Great write up too! I really miss having a Manix 2 in my collection..maybe I need to remedy that soon.

Yes, thanks for the info. The blue frn scales from the s110v LW and a M4 blade would be a sweet combo. That will have to be a future project for me though. I just don't have the time right now. Or 2 manix2's. Or a drill press. Or the hardware. And probably not the skill set.

Where would you find the ceramic ball?

Great conversion. I do not have the tools nor the patience for such things, but I admire it, none the less.

I have the s110v Manix LW. It's a great knife, but if it had a screw construction I would have other Manix LW models and back-ups.

Wow nice work...and I second your request that they switch to screw construction. Remember the Salts used to be pinned too.

BRILLIANT! If only it came this way I wouldn't have had to use a reciprocating saw to get the maxamet blade our for a swap in to the jade handle BHQ exclusive.

Now can you get the big ceramic ball like the one in the Q-Ball/D'Allara/Tusk in the manix series? I was wondering if I get a ball and the stopper can I fit it in or does it need a whole new liner/scales to travel correctly. It just looks 100x cooler than the plastic housing.

I wish the lightweight manix's were screws instead of rivots to start. I love my manix 2 lightweight in xhp, probably my most carried knife, but there is so much dirt and debris clogging up the works that it's action is much worse and cannot be fixed with compressed air, oiling the pivot, or blasting it out with wd-40.

Maybe a CQI on this?

I wish the lightweight manix's were screws instead of rivots to start.

is so much dirt and debris clogging up the works

Maybe a CQI on this?

Same problem. Crud build up.

A CQI of the LW Manix to be like the Native 5 LW with screws instead of rivets.

For now... Screw Conversion.

Excellent work, which I doubt I'd accomplish as well. I guess I'd prefer screws too, but I don't know why. The Manix LW I had didn't need any adjustment at all.

Back