Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not very sure, but they have a contract with Boker only for the "Comrade" model. The other one, only from them in this moment, I think.

Thank you punky. Appreciate that.Wish they would bring in a couple more of these knives. I like the fixed blade knife also.

Neat. I lived in BG for two years. I lived in Sofia, Burgas, Plovdiv, and Pleven.

I'd love to find a nice quality knife to carry to remind me of my time there (back in 96-98).

2 years? that's a good amount of time for sure, they had some kind of cold soup they served at the cafeteria each day that, well, I had a lot of trouble with that! :) but as I say the people I met were some good folks and hard workers.

G2

Edited to add some more about those detent stops, one thing I like is, it doesn't slam shut on you, the two large flat areas for half open and full open work great and are very solid, the softer detents are when the corners fall into that V, makes for a softer closing, which I think can equate to a safer closing too.

2 years? that's a good amount of time for sure, they had some kind of cold soup they served at the cafeteria each day that, well, I had a lot of trouble with that! :) but as I say the people I met were some good folks and hard workers.

G2

Edited to add some more about those detent stops, one thing I like is, it doesn't slam shut on you, the two large flat areas for half open and full open work great and are very solid, the softer detents are when the corners fall into that V, makes for a softer closing, which I think can equate to a safer closing too.

Likely Tarator. (Таратор)

A cold yogurt and cucumber soup. Love that stuff! I just had a craving from you mentioning it!

Last edited:
....... please do not rely on the nail nick as I feel it really is there for looks, as it is not cut deep enough for your nail to catch a purchase in order to open the blade, better to pinch the blade to open right from the start .....
G2

Yes, it is not very confortable. It's easier to catch it with fingers. The spring is strong and it's dificult to open with fingernail. For a lady is impossible. But there is enough space to catch with thumb and index finger.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Gary. It looks like a interesting knife at a reasonable price.

Likely Tarator. (Таратор)

A cold yogurt and cucumber soup. Love that stuff! I just had a craving from you mentioning it!

You sir are a better man than me :) but then, I was only there for a couple weeks...maybe it might grow to be something I would like...maybe...;)

and you're welcome Flatblackcapo, it's a great knife, carried it today and was my main go to blade, so solid, so sharp, nary a thing to complain about, if anything my only thing would be to have a lanyard hole, maybe a hidden one in the back spring, but, that's asking a bit much for such a reasonable folder.

G2

I bought the blue and black version. It arrived a couple weeks ago and has been in my pocket everyday. It has quickly become my favorite edc. I really hope this is just the beginning of Manly knives available from Boker.

I like this one too. Particularly how they tapered the back of the blade so that the exposed shoulder isn't as prominent. Less pocket wear that way.

Yes, there's a LOT going on in the design of this folder, but my main thing...is how she cuts, just quick and deep, a really good slicer/cutter right there. I've been holding myself back from getting one of the other coloured handles ;)

G2

well, didn't mean to bring up bad feelings, but I can see where you are coming from, might want to edit some text as there are also young folks just learning about knives that frequent the review area too.

And speaking of review, a friend reminded me that I neglected a few specs, I guess if people were aware of the Manly folder they'd check it but it's handier in one place so here are the following specs provided on the nice card that comes with the knife;

Model: Comrade
Length: Open 205mm, about 8"

closed 115mm about 4 1/2"

Width: 22mm about 3/4" ( I take this to be the scale width)

Weight 110 grams

Steel is 1.2379
Corrosion resistance: Low ( so care is needed to prevent rusting )

Sharpen angle 15 degrees, which I take to be 30 degrees inclusive

Hardness 59/61 HRC

I measure about .019" thickness at the top of the edge bevel so ground down fairly thin.

G2

Edited to add a few fine points, the multiple detents I am guessing is that there is a V cut into the back spring that the corners of the tang drop into, causing the knife to halt at each passing.

The steel liners have large cut outs for weight reduction, still a hefty knife but less so due to that removal of steel.

When closed the back spring is flush

With the blade half open, the spring is also flush

With the blade fully open, the spring is again flush, amazing level of detail provided in such a moderate priced and rugged folder, well done !

Hi Gary,in my Manly folder, the backspring is flush in closed.Very slight rise at the first stop.Flush at the second stop.Slight rise again at the 3rd stop and flush again at open position. Is this how it is on yours.
Knife comes very sharp from the factory. One of the best factory edges.

Correct, at closed, half open and full open it's fairly flush back spring, the orange/black one has the full open with the backspring slightly lower but not by much, all in all I think that is pretty nice they can do that on such a modest priced folder!

G2

A better view of the scales, fairly grippy in the way they grooved them, without being harsh to hold

Manly_scales.jpg~original

Manly_scales by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
It's one of the best slicing knives you'll find, If it was set up like standard lock back Buck aka buck 112 it would be perfect.

Gary what would you think of a 3 3/4 inch version?

I agree, and even a 3 1/2" frame would be great, for slip joints I do like a smaller frame.
G2

Following Gary's siren song (thread) in Traditional, I bought one last week. I've only had it a couple of days, so I don't have a lot of usage to talk about, but I am impressed with fit and finish and have a few observations to share.

I can't really post about it in Traditional, because I left the clip on. IMO it's too big to fit in my pocket without the clip to hold it upright. Sideways in the pocket isn't going to work for me. I find the G10 to be comfortable in the hand, but maybe a tad too rough on my jeans pocket where the pocket material gets pinched between the clip and the G10. One thing for sure, it is quite secure. With a slip joint action, this is one knife for which no one should be worrying about "speed of deployment".

The four step cam is a kick to open. STIFF springs, overall. But because of the four steps, it's not hard to open or purposely close. The first step is soft and lets you get the blade out enough to get a good grip on it so you can get it open the rest of the way. Very well thought out and implemented. This is as close to a locking blade as one is going to get in a slip joint. Somebody mentioned adding a thumb stud. Unless you are a world class arm wrestler with hands and thumbs of steel, I doubt that it could be opened that way.

Really like the blade shape. The full flat grind drop point is killer. If I get a chance to give it some use this coming weekend, I'll add usage information.

I agree Frank, those that feel they could thumb this open will indeed need to be really MANLY in order to do so :)

Now, if they could get one of their fixed blades marketed over here, that'd be great to have in a kit bag too. Maybe they will eventually...

G2

Well Gary, thanks to your persuasive photos and review my Comrade came in today. Initial impression is very good. Out of the box sharpness is impressive. Reminds me of some of the Spyderco's I've purchased new. Overall fit and finish is quite good for a knife in the $50 range. Very solid feel all around. The four step opening and closing stops take some getting used to. However the spring is strong enough in combination with the stops to provide confidence during use. Only complant would be the Manly logo on the pocket clip which isn't anything but nit picking really. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention.

Best of luck,
Keith

Very nice Keith ! Glad to help out and yes that Manly name does stand out but I've not had anyone even make mention of it where I work at all, they are just very impressed with the knife and how well it cuts, as they should...:)

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back