Review Manly Folders: Comrade, Peak, Wasp. Fixed Blades: Patriot and Drugar, Made in Bulgaria

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you may have sold me on this knife. I let go of my Madison Barlow because I felt it was too big to just go loose in the pocket, and also I have been wanting either stainless, better edge retention than 1095 can give, or both. I guess now it's between the D2 equivalent or ordering one in CPM-154...

You should like it, the more I use mine the more I like it.

I got the sheath today, for some reason it spent 15 days in the Spokane, WA. sorting plant before they finally sent in on.

The Manly Buck
Manly%20Buck_zpsxxjn3fpq.jpg

That certainly is a Manly Buck right there ;) looks like a good fit for that too!

and traumkommode, glad to be of help, I find this knife to hold it's edge quite well so far.

G2

A testament to a knife's staying power...one that G2 still has in his house after a month ;) I carry mine every day, very good cutter still and haven't had to take it to any stones yet, just stropping the blade to keep it and then not that very often either.

Anyone else pick one up yet?
G2

I emailed Manly asking after the CPM-154 version, as I prefer stainless blades. They said I could order directly from them. Just haven't done it yet; I had a client skip out on his payment a couple weeks ago and money is a little tight right now.

I have been carrying my classic yellow derlin TruSharp Sodbuster Jr., though. It cuts like a piece of surgical equipment.

Yep, I've changed to stainless myself lately, this one though, being a D2 similar steel, seems to be not too bad in that department, I carry it everyday in the side leg pocket of my Carhartt pants, handy to get to and out of the way when not needed.

G2

Got one of the first Comrades about 2 or 3 years ago - that knife is a beast! They have nailed the HT on 1,2379 (the German equivalent of D2) - I used it a lot (mainly kitchen duties) and it performs superbly. Easy to sharpen, keeps the edge fairly well, due to the toothy nature of 1,2379 it is a perfect slicer.

As far as I know they offer it in CPM154 as well, and from what I've heard they do HT it very well.

Good to hear, mine is proving to be just that way as well :)
G2

One thing about this Manly, I know some may not like all the intermediate stops the blade takes as you open it, but I like it and recently noticed when I pull the blade open quickly, it is very reminiscent of my childhood days...my dad's belt being pulled through his belt loops ;) a scary sound if ever there was one!
G2

Haha I wondered about that too but since it isn't the model name but the company I can live with that and it certainly can be a conversation starter. :)

I do like that fixed blade too. !
G2
That fixed Blade caught my eye as well. :) Nice review, Thanks Gary ! :thumbup:

Thanks I have a line on one of their small fixed blades, we'll see how that plays out :)
G2

Great review. I could never own the knife because they chose such a poor name for the company. No way I'll have something that says "Manly" on it. in my pocket.

Ah, you are missing out on one slicing demon of a folder and with it's fairly strong back spring, it's solid when open, but, you do need to feel comfortable, oddly enough, not one person at work has made mention of the name on the clip, I think they focus on the overall knife and I guess the Manly word disappears when being examined, in any event, no one has ever brought it up while holding mine, they are just dazzled at how easily it cuts through material, but then, they are usually very scared to use any of my knives...they are learning :)

G2

I have to stop reading reviews by Mr. Graley. :grumpy:

J/K of course :D Sounds like, looks like, a nice sodbustery kind of slip joint. It's on the list now, but not quite sure about the multiple stops though...

Thanks and sorry for making things look too enticing ;) but, they are as they seem, quite nice.

As to the multiple stops, I wouldn't want it any other way, you get use to that pretty quickly and it's a nice difference from about any other knife I've owned, it's own uniqueness. BUT it can be a bit of a pinch to open remember the groove is not a nail nick so you are required to pinch this open.

And, mine has kept it's edge very well too !
G2

Just got one of these in black, looking forward to breaking it in. The factory edge on this was fantastic. I stroped the blade just a bit to give it a polish. The back spring is pretty strong on this I've noticed, how does it hold up in everyone's experience?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've carried and used mine a bit. I'm quite satisfied with the edge retention. I'm not what would commonly be considered a "hard user", so I can't talk to "ultimate durability". But it still seems quite robust. Certainly nothing has loosened up.

As to the multiple stops, I wouldn't want it any other way, you get use to that pretty quickly and it's a nice difference from about any other knife I've owned, it's own uniqueness. BUT it can be a bit of a pinch to open remember the groove is not a nail nick so you are required to pinch this open.

Agree 100%.

Good to hear Frank, I think these are a nice offering especially at their price point.
G2

I am liking the 4 stops more and more as I continue using this knife. Very nice feature.
Is it a fast opening and closing tactical knife, definitely not.
But a very nice using knife.Came with a great edge from the factory. And takes a good edge after use and losing the factory edge. Very nice knife. Thanks for steering me to this knife, Gary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back