• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Massive Blade Liquidation!!! Basics, BM's, lots!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HCLE is 4.5"

Here is the uglified DMLE (note: the "marks" are white paint from when I was testing it as a thrower. Good thrower. Just interior white paint from the board I was throwing at.):

attachment.php

Attachments

• Mutt 3.jpg
    Mutt 3.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 645
Yes, the 5 has a v-grind. I checked twice. It looks like it COULD be asym. and some of it is under the coating, but I don't think so. Hard to tell even with the smooth-coat. It is my basic undersanding (no pun intended) that the asym is not UNDER the coating. I could be wrong - I'm an end-user. ;) Definitely not the look of your typical asym. Busse grind.

Will get SAR5 pix up.

Pix of the SAR5's and the edge of the Basic5. (Too hard to get a good shot with my crappy 1999 camera.)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

(Sheath goes with the canvas micarta SAR5)

Attachments

• Basic 5 blade.jpg
    Basic 5 blade.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 515
  • Basic 5 blade 2.jpg
    Basic 5 blade 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 517
  • SAR5z.jpg
    SAR5z.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 523
Yes, the 5 has a v-grind. I checked twice. It looks like it COULD be asym. and some of it is under the coating, but I don't think so. Hard to tell even with the smooth-coat. It is my basic undersanding (no pun intended) that the asym is not UNDER the coating. I could be wrong - I'm an end-user. ;) Definitely not the look of your typical asym. Busse grind. ...
I have one smooth coated Basic and it has a v grind, while all of my crinkle coated Basics have the asym. edge. I do not recall seeing a smooth coated Basic with an asym. edge. All of the Busse asym. edges I have seen, whether on a Basic or E-handle model, are very noticeable and pronounced, so I suspect yours is the v grind.

Gene

I have one smooth coated Basic and it has a v grind, while all of my crinkle coated Basics have the asym. edge. I do not recall seeing a smooth coated Basic with an asym. edge. All of the Busse asym. edges I have seen, whether on a Basic or E-handle model, are very noticeable and pronounced, so I suspect yours is the v grind.

Gene

Just for reference, I have owned two B9's, two B7's and two B5's, all in the smooth coat, as well as multiple crinkle coats in all three blade lengths, and all have had asymmetrical factory edges. In fact, I've never seen a smooth coat Basic with a V grind, although obviously there are some that came that way. Just thought I'd chime in on that, in case it helps.

Will

Very cool knives. Alas, not my bread-and-butter. Trying to consolidate to knives that I'd consider users. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back