Masters of the Blade

Couple of days ago I got my copy of Ray Galang's book Masters of the Blade and I though of sharing couple of observations with others.
First, I must say that the book is done in a superb manner, regarding the technical layout. The formet is good, paper quality, photos...impeccbale.
But of coursem the essence of every book is its contents, right? Well this one does very good job of presenting many worthy knife systems and instructors. At the first look, one might say that some important entries are missing (Sayoc, Kelly Worden...), but the author says in the introduction that some of those are the result of the lack of opportunity to arrange the meeting with some of those people, and some, unfortunately, of politics or other ongoing projects. Still there are quite a few instructors that are not too well-known, so this in my opinion is the greatest value of the book.
Nevertheless, with the exeption of Krishna Godania, all the featured instructors are those from USA or Philippines, while I would certainly like to see some from other regions/continents as well. Also, there no knife experts out of FMA type of knife/expression. Sure, Jim Keating also touches on the bowies, but still...
Te bottom line is that if you are seriously into knife fighting, you should own this book, but I would like to see a part II of it some day, with some of my objections touched upon.
Cheers!

I've wanted to take a look at this book for sometime now. Mr. Galang had done a seminar near my hometown about a year ago, but I couldn't make it unfortunately. Thanks for your comments.

I think Rey Galang did'nt include non Filipino systems as his book is mostly geared towards FMA as are all his books.

I think Rey Galang did'nt include non Filipino systems as his book is mostly geared towards FMA as are all his books.

That would make sense. He did include Michael Janich's Martial Blade Concepts system. It is heavily influenced by FMA but has a lot of "junkyard" aspects to it as well. The book is a great resource.

Chris Doner said:
That would make sense. He did include Michael Janich's Martial Blade Concepts system. It is heavily influenced by FMA but has a lot of "junkyard" aspects to it as well. The book is a great resource.

I know Mr Janich wont give all the credit in his MBC to FMA, the more I see of his stuff and the more I see and practice other systems of FMA, his stuff is FMA.

Colt6731 said:
I know Mr Janich wont give all the credit in his MBC to FMA, the more I see of his stuff and the more I see and practice other systems of FMA, his stuff is FMA.

I don't know if I agree.

I went to a Janich seminar and he gave much of the credit for his system to FMA at the end. In fact, the participation certificate points to a specific FMA system.

Well, mr. janich actually referres to MBC as "modern method with depp roots in FMA", or something along those lines. As the matter of fact, in couple of his interviews/articles, he tells specifically what thing he has changed or modified in order to get where his stuff is today.
But there is certainly no doubt what is his foundation, at least when knife is at issue.

FMA is what you make of it. If you are just copying exact applications of the movements shown by your FMA teacher you are likely doing yourself a disservice.

FMA is more about grasping and applying the concepts, laws, and principles than it is applying a specific technique to a specific situation. Applied techniques are nothing but examples of the principles of FMA.

For Janich to say that he took something and made it his own by modifying or applying it in a "different" way it is not a new concept. Hence the reason there are so many styles of FMA out there...hence the reason there are so many martial arts styles out there. This is where you get the old, "I discovered that and he stole that from me," complaint.:)

As long as someone acknowledges the root of something...I think those quarrels should be left to the other styles who are overly concerned with lineage and less concerned with first: winning and second: survival.

I look forward to reading the "Masters of the Blade" book.

As long as someone acknowledges the root of something...I think those quarrels should be left to the other styles who are overly concerned with lineage and less concerned with first: winning and second: survival.

Exactly, well put. Mr. Janich has always been quick to acknowledge his influences. A lot of what I referred to as "junkyard" aspects of his method come out in his stick and empty hand programs. Hope I didn't confuse anyone.

Pahtoocara said:
For Janich to say that he took something and made it his own by modifying or applying it in a "different" way it is not a new concept.

It just seems to me that some (not all) American knife combatives instructors seem to want to put some special emphasis on something they learned that no one else doing knife combatives does to set them apart from everybody else. Not that Michael Janich does this, but when an instructor refers to some special "junkyard", "street", "gangland", "western", "cajun" or some such technique or application that is somehow uniquely theirs it is usually just another variation or existing technique or concept found in another FMA system upon closer examination. I watched a demonstration once in Germany of a instructor of "Historical Spanish" knife fighting that was a technique for technique match to the sinco teros techniques in the Manaois Eskrima system I practice. When I questioned those specific techniques, he replied thru an interpertor that of course the Filipino system I practice was the same since they received the techniques from the Spanish in the first place. Well anyway, you get my drift. :cool:

Long reading now getting into posting...
So "Hello" to everybody and thank you for sharing that much knowledge here!

I have to second that the book is great and there is plenty of information in it, from historical, technical and personal point of view.

I totally agree with Pahtoocara: It is about the concepts,not about how a thing is made in specific detail.
While I too think that Mr. Janich has some concepts that -for me- look very FMA, it is the personal interpretation that gives his curriculum the special flavor. And of course if you hand someone a blade, there are only so many limited options on how to use it and how to move. Much less than with a stick. And after all we are all human so we do function in a certain way and we don´t in another.

I strongly recommend that book. Really cool!

Florian

Thanks to everyone for a cool discussion.

For the record, I readily acknowledge that FMA concepts were indeed the basis for what has evolved into the MBC system. The concepts HAD to be important because at the time, even though I was living in an area with plenty of FMA activity (Hawaii), the vast majority of FMA intructors there would not teach Caucasians. Using the concept that all FMA movements are based on the same angles and vary based on the attributes of the weapon, I extrapolated knife technique from the stick technique I was able to glean from videos and the limited hands-on training I was able to find. That's where the foundation of my knife skill came from. Later, when I had the opportunity to formally train in the FMA, my instructors and training partners validated my approach.

I also agree that most of the drills and concepts in the MBC system can be found in other FMA styles. I never claimed that I invented these or am the only one to be teaching them. However, I feel that there ARE many unique aspects to the MBC system. They include:

1) An emphasis on small, practical knives, especially folders.
2) An emphasis on integrating empty-hand immediate responses with practical knife deployment.
3) Using the cutting patterns (sequences of angles--not target templates) of FMA flow drills as the basis for combative applications.
4) Combining in-depth research and understanding of human anatomy to achieve a targeting system that reliably "stops" attackers.
5) Understanding the dynamics of cutting (not slashing) to quantify the true potential of carry knives.
6) An emphasis on pressure cutting rather than ballistic cutting to maximize the potential of small knives.
7) The drills included in the MBC system were chosen based solely on their function and the specific skills they instill, not because of any tradition or cultural concerns.

The MBC and Counter-Blade Concepts (CBC) systems I teach also borrow heavily from Indonesian Pencak Silat. Again, my understanding of the silat elements I borrowed was based on my analysis of the systems, not my direct lineage in any silat system. I also don't claim to be the only person to have combined elements of the Indonesian arts and the FMA (the history of the southern Philippines and styles like Lacoste Kali are way ahead of me). However, I have not seen the same specific elements I've put together combined in the same way anywhere else. Does that make what I do revolutionary? Not necessarily. Does it make it functional and easy to learn? I think so, and so do my students. That's good enough for me.

Stay safe,

Mike

Just another question: Is the material so presented that it's possible to really learn from the book (concepts, footwork,....) or is it more like a historical overview? :confused:

Regards,

Zedd

Dear Zedd:

Since the chapters were written by the instructors themselves, they, and the photo sequences, vary as far as their instructional value. Personally, I think in many ways this is an interesting reflection and insight into the instructional styles of the personalities featured. In short, it's a kind of "one-stop shopping" resource on approaches to knife tactics.

Stay safe,

Mike

Also, the ability to actually learn something practical from the chapters depends largely on hoe much of a previous experience do you have. But in general, the book was conceived as a practical sort of manual, and in my opinion, it manages to acheve that goeal in large percentage.

I just received mine in the mail this past weekend and agree that it is an excellent book for knife training reference. My only concern is on my copy the table of contents is inaccurate. Does anyone else have the same problem? It's difficult when I look to see who I want to read on then have to go looking through the whole book to find what I am looking for.

I guess I could just mark the correct pages on the table of contents.

I think that the problem is that there are two other instructors listed under W. Hock Hochheim pages. Now, although both men are his students, I'd say they should have been given some space i nthe table of contents as well.

Look out for 'Guardians of the Legacy' from Master Rey, coming out in 2007. I'm looking forward to it :)

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to drop and line to clarify my lack of participation in Rey Galang's recent book.

Yes of course I was asked and even started my contribution. Actually about 7,000 words into the project several family issues came up including a divorce after 25 years together. Thus the project got shelved.

I contacted both Keating and Janich and asked them to step up and provide material for the book. Apparently that happened. It is good to hear that others possibly less known had the opportunity to also contribute to this historically positive project.

Having contributed to Rey's earlier book on Masters of the Philippines I support Rey's efforts to document interesting stories evolving around the FMA.

As time apparently heals all I am working on a tactical knife book as well, most of what I prepared for Rey will be included. With over 2000 sequencial pictures already completed things are finally moving ahead and hopefully sometime in the future it will be released.

Regarding Mike Janich and his take on the blade, I can say Mike has put a great deal of thought into each of his presentation. Through his connection as the videotographer for Paladin Press, Mike has been expossed to a lot of skilled players over the last several years. Add this with his own personal interest and research, well, as Professor Presas would have put it,"He did his own work." Good effort, solid research, and an honest practitioner.

Professionally there are some very talented knife instructors here in the United States and across the world.

I am sure Mike would agree, there is plenty of room for everyone to step up and evolve the art for the next generation.

That being said, keep sharing you're personal views and take the time to document you're own personal progression, time enlightens all who make the effort.

Respectfully,
Kelly S. Worden

Back