• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

material breakdown service?

Nate Webb

Basic Member
Admins, please feel free to move this if I'm posting in the wrong forum.

I use quite a bit of wrought iron in my knives. As is frequently the case, it comes to me in the form of wagon wheel rim or anchor chain. Up to now I have been breaking it down by hand, as I don't have power forging equipment. That both takes a significant amount of time, and puts a lot of wear and tear on my forging arm, which I'm feeling a lot more these days than I used to.

My question is, are there any smiths out there who offer that kind of material processing for a fee? Really I'm hoping to get the wrought forged or rolled down to a consistent thickness and surface finish to make my life easier when it comes to actually using the stuff.

I'll leave it up for a while as well as have it in The Exchange Services Wanted.

This is a question many people would like to know.

I used to do it by hand, and still do on a small piece. I have a friend with a big power hammer that I use to pound down large WI rounds and bars, but the older I get, having it done for me would be a nice option.

Thanks Stacy. That's exactly where I'm at.

The first WI I ever bought was from a smith on here who recently passed away (completely blanking on his name for some reason. Hell of a good guy). He was nice enough to break it down to 1/4" stock for me for a nominal fee. I sure would like to find a shop who could do that for me now, using my material.

If you would like to email me at runningbearsteel@gmail.com, I would love to discuss your needs. I have both a press and surface grinder. So I think I can handle ehat you're asking. Also, my shop is in upstate NY, so im not too far away from you.

Back