Maxpedition Bottle holder kit, review and pics

Excellent set up! I got one of these after Joe's review also, but am going to have to get some of those cocoons. They look real handy!

Hey man... I am gonna copy you!

I just bought a Maxped bottle holder and haven't set it up yet.

Fantastic set up you have there, very well thought out.

One thought on the fishing kit. I've found fish will hit natural bait like a cricket or worm when they will hit nothing else. With that in mind I try to include a small bobber and some small "cricket hooks". Cricket hooks are very small, but with a relatively long shank (helps to remove the hook). The good thing about the "cricket hooks" is that a large fish can get caught on a small hook, but not vice versa. Trust me on this... I always catch the small ones! :)

Great idea, I will toss some in. There is a couple plain hooks in there, but a bobber, and some cricket hooks would be great.

Thanks bro.:thumbup:

Anybody else have issues getting the cup out of the bottom of the main compartment? I wound up putting mine on top 'cause there was no way I was going to get it out with cold hands without losing my patience and taking my RC-4 to it. they're GSI cups, can't be much different than any other.

Great kit BTW J.Williams- I'm in wonderment that you managed to get that much stuff in there. If I could make a suggestion, a couple of disposable handwarmer packs for Winter use might be a lifesaver if you would up outside overnight.

Good idea Mike. Thanks man, I was shocked too. It holds a good bit of gear!!

I have the same problem with the cup. Is it easier to get it out from the top?

I just put the bottle in and stick the cup upside down over the top. Comes right out that way!

cup on top kills the problem on the 10"x4" holder or opted for the 12"x5" maxpedition holder and gain a little more room....

Awesome. I have a Fatboy Jumbo that I need to set up instead of just cramming a few odds and ends into it. Hopefully someday I'll have the time.

/wishes he lived closer to Jake for better motivation to get this done for myself. :D

Question about the cup on top setup. Does it interfere with storing anything in the upper part? Wilderness Outfitters did a recent review for the meal kit Dave put together. He had a round plastic thing that electrical tape comes in on the top and I've seen others do something similar.

It seems like if the cup is on top you should still have the same amount of room, but you have me curious. (I've been debating one of these bottle holders for a while now, but if I get one it's going to be after Christmas. I've spent too much money recently.)

If I were to get a 10x4 & a Guyot 38oz, I wonder about using the cup I have now with that setup. (Vargo Ti-Lite mug.) Since it has a lid/strainer for it I was thinking I could store it in the top, but the 12x5 has a mesh sleeve on top and I'm thinking it might be better. (Thinking out loud here..)

Great kit, bro!

Call me stupid, but I never thought of putting Fatwood dust in a tin like that. I love that idea.

I know you said it's a GSI mug, but I googled GSI mug and went to their website and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm on on the wrong site. GSIoutdoors.com ? Any idea if a normal plastic Nalgene water bottle will fit in it?

I like how the kit is put together, thanks again for sharing.

I like the spoon/fort shortie. Might be cool made out of horn. I may try that. A short spork.

Anybody else have issues getting the cup out of the bottom of the main compartment? I wound up putting mine on top 'cause there was no way I was going to get it out with cold hands without losing my patience and taking my RC-4 to it. they're GSI cups, can't be much different than any other.

Great kit BTW J.Williams- I'm in wonderment that you managed to get that much stuff in there. If I could make a suggestion, a couple of disposable handwarmer packs for Winter use might be a lifesaver if you would up outside overnight.

I drape a bandana partially into my cup and then nest the Guyout bottle into it. It causes the 2 to "stick" together from friction and they will pull out together. You can't have the bandana run all the way around or you will play hell trying to seperate the 2. Plus, it adds the bandana to the kit - which we all can find uses for anyway.

I need to figure out how to post some pics and I'll get some up. I also found that I wanted my bottle to sit higher in the bottle holder so that when I unzipped the top all I had to do was open the bottle and drink. I solved this problem by placing my Adventure Medical Kits - heatsheet emergency bivy in the bottom. It fits perfectly and raises the mouth of the bottle to the perfect level. I'll make my first attempt at posting some pics later tonight - I'm watching (kind of) the kids right now as my wife went back to school and has Saturday classes.

BTW - excellent set-up Jake!

Question about the cup on top setup. Does it interfere with storing anything in the upper part? Wilderness Outfitters did a recent review for the meal kit Dave put together. He had a round plastic thing that electrical tape comes in on the top and I've seen others do something similar.

It seems like if the cup is on top you should still have the same amount of room, but you have me curious. (I've been debating one of these bottle holders for a while now, but if I get one it's going to be after Christmas. I've spent too much money recently.)

If I were to get a 10x4 & a Guyot 38oz, I wonder about using the cup I have now with that setup. (Vargo Ti-Lite mug.) Since it has a lid/strainer for it I was thinking I could store it in the top, but the 12x5 has a mesh sleeve on top and I'm thinking it might be better. (Thinking out loud here..)

nope, my cup, and guyot are in it, and the cordage and mesh sack are in the lid part. Your setup should fit in it. There is alot of room in the lid.

Great kit, bro!

Call me stupid, but I never thought of putting Fatwood dust in a tin like that. I love that idea.

I know you said it's a GSI mug, but I googled GSI mug and went to their website and couldn't find it. Maybe I'm on on the wrong site. GSIoutdoors.com ? Any idea if a normal plastic Nalgene water bottle will fit in it?

I like how the kit is put together, thanks again for sharing.

Hmm. Its a GSI, I got it at Basspro.

Yes the nalgene fits. I had it in there before I got the Guyot, which is the same size as the Nalgene.:thumbup:

I drape a bandana partially into my cup and then nest the Guyout bottle into it. It causes the 2 to "stick" together from friction and they will pull out together. You can't have the bandana run all the way around or you will play hell trying to seperate the 2. Plus, it adds the bandana to the kit - which we all can find uses for anyway.

I need to figure out how to post some pics and I'll get some up. I also found that I wanted my bottle to sit higher in the bottle holder so that when I unzipped the top all I had to do was open the bottle and drink. I solved this problem by placing my Adventure Medical Kits - heatsheet emergency bivy in the bottom. It fits perfectly and raises the mouth of the bottle to the perfect level. I'll make my first attempt at posting some pics later tonight - I'm watching (kind of) the kids right now as my wife went back to school and has Saturday classes.

BTW - excellent set-up Jake!

That sounds neat. I look forward to your pics......

Thanks Bro.:thumbup:

Back