May 2019 Buck of the Month - Released

Tecate

Gold Member
I don't think anyone would have guessed this knife.

944 Chef knife featuring 12C27Mod Sandvik blade, genuine Ebony handle, and a custom magnetic PaperStone sheath.
upload_2019-5-7_12-38-11.png

upload_2019-5-7_12-38-50.png

Last edited:
Your usually the one that gives us the spot on prediction.:D. Not a bad looking knife but an odd choice for BOTM.

Is this the first time for 12c27 mod sandvick?
This is different from my 931 chefs knife.
I ordered one to see it.

Last edited:
I like the steel and handle material, but don’t need another kitchen knife. They should have made a 112 with the same materials!

Too darn small for a proper Chef's knife in my opinion.

I like to use a 10" Chef's knife and a 7" Santoku when I need something smaller. If this would have been 9.5" - 10" or I didn't have the Kramer/Zwilling Santoku... I would have been all over it. looks great.

Last edited:
I just ordered one for my wife, for Mother’s Day. She is going to freak out when she sees this. This will be the nicest kitchen knife we own.:D

I also had a very enjoyable experience ordering over the phone from a young lady named Angie. Super friendly, and seemed just as excited about this knife as I am. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's a 7 1/2" blade and from the photo looks to be a full flat grind. Our Sabatier from the original set is 8'' and my wife does not need the blade to be any longer. If you were talking a carver or beef slicer, --- ok. But for a sabatier... Eight inch is good. I checked it is indeed a full flat grind. DM

Last edited:
It's a 7 1/2" blade and from the photo looks to be a full flat grind. Our Sabatier from the original set is 8'' and my wife does not need the blade to be any longer. If you were talking a carver or beef slicer, --- ok. But for a sabatier... Eight inch is good. DM

After working ten years in a restaurant and then moving on to the Costco Meat Department, I’ve found 9.5” - 10” to be the most versatile and useful blade length for a Chef’s knife. It took a little while to get used to, but once I did, there was no going back (and I have tiny baby hands).

The long blade gives you more stability when cutting hard cheeses, thick skinned veggies (like squash and watermelon), hard chocolate, etc. it’s also nice to not have to switch to a different knife when cutting a head of lettuce, cabbage, or spatchcocking a bird. I also tend to like the extra weight of the 10” knife. My left arm is gimpy (waiting on another shoulder surgery), so the extra heft can be a lifesaver.

The only downsides I’ve come across when using a 10” is the learning curve, having a large enough cutting board/kitchen, and fine mincing because of how far you have to draw the knife to use the tip.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Had I not grown up in my Mom’s kitchen (she’s a professional chef and owns a steakhouse bar & grill), and then moving on to working in restaurants and and a meat department... I’m not sure I would have discovered my love of the 10” Chef’s knife.

Funny you bring up Sabatier though! Their 10” carbon Chef knife is what hangs in my Mom’s kitchen.

Any BUCK knife ever made.
no. a 277 an alpha hunter had 12c27 steel. there may be more but I remember this one. also as kossetx said.....the ergo hunter model. some still available old stock sitting around.

A sabatier and chef knife is the same style blade. I have cut meat for years and would never use either one those for cutting meat. That style was not even found in our meat market. I like a 6" boning blade and a 9" slicer or a 10" breaking blade or carver as they are both called. DM

Last edited:
A sabatier and chef knife is the same style blade. I have cut meat for years and would never use either one those for cutting meat. That style was not even found in our meat market. I like a 6" boning blade and a 9" slicer or a 10" breaking blade or carver as they are both called. DM

I’m sorry, I must not have made myself clear. I wasn’t suggesting using a Chef’s knife for cutting meat. I use a 12” Victorinox Straight Butcher both at home and work for cutting steaks from large primals and subprimals. I use a 7” boning blade and a 10” curved breaking blade for the smaller stuff at work. I was just trying to say that my time spent in the retail/commercial part of meat may have skewed me towards liking larger blades in the kitchen. I think you'll find that the majority of people who work in a kitchen at a professional level prefer a 10" Chef's knife over an 8".

Lol, I thought you were talking about the Sabatier brand. My Mom has a pretty solid Sabatier K branded knife from France that she loves.

"people who work in a kitchen at a professional level prefer a 10" Chef's knife over a 8". This could be true. I see both. However, the sabatier knife we are talking about designed by Buck was not mfg. toward that purpose. It is marketed toward home use. So, with this in mind the design and dimensions of the above knife are correct for purpose intended. DM

Last edited:
BuckShack BuckShack , the 120 has a 7 1/2" blade as well. Yes, you should notice a improvement in ease of cutting with the above knife. Plus the dressy handle is noticeable. When you get yours do a head to head comparison and let us know what you think. DM

"people who work in a kitchen at a professional level prefer a 10" Chef's knife over a 8". This could be true. I see both. However, the sabatier knife we are talking about design by Buck was not mfg. toward that purpose. It is marketed toward home use. So, with this in mind the design and dimensions of the above knife are correct for purpose intended. DM

Fair enough. Rather than say "Too darn small for a proper Chef's knife in my opinion." I think I should have said that it's a bit too small for what I personally am currently looking for in a Chef's knife.

Back