Medford vs Crusader

Medford or Crusader? Which do you like better?

• Medford

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Crusader

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters

Wolverine666

Gold Member
Right off the bat , let me state that I have no real experience with either brand. But they both intrigue me as far overbuilt folders go.

So it's simple , which brand overall do you think makes the superior product? Or , at least , which would you pick if you had to choose?

I know each brand makes numerous models. That's why I say "overall". But if you favor a particular model then let's hear it.

I had an opportunity to handle a bunch of Medfords a couple months ago, and ... “offended” isn’t quite the right word, but I felt like they deserve derision. Every model felt like the goal was to make the most possible money for the least thinking and work done. They all felt like unrefined bricks.

I’m not even a person who minds a chunky knife. I own and love a ZT 0550 and a Microtech DOC, each of which is a chubby SOB in its own right. I’d take either of those over a Praetorian at any price.

Assuming you mean folders , I wouldn't want either . :thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

They look overdone, thick and heavy; but not very functional / ergonomic . More like a fantasy knife than one for serious work .

Way too pricey , also . I've never even handled either , just going by looks and reviews by others .

IIRC Stabman has a Medford he loves ...but gotta consider that Mega Smatchet thing he made for himself to gauge his taste in blades ! ;)

I find the Medford extremly to expensiv for the Quality. Crusader i not know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an opportunity to handle a bunch of Medfords a couple months ago, and ... “offended” isn’t quite the right word, but I felt like they deserve derision. Every model felt like the goal was to make the most possible money for the least thinking and work done. They all felt like unrefined bricks.

I’m not even a person who minds a chunky knife. I own and love a ZT 0550 and a Microtech DOC, each of which is a chubby SOB in its own right. I’d take either of those over a Praetorian at any price.

I'd really like to handle a folder from each brand in person to get a better idea of everything they have to offer. Big and heavy is what I'm after right now.

I seem to have migrated from wanting a CS 4-Max to checking out something from these two companies. Just looking for opinions whilst in research mode.

Last edited:
They are both nice, I’ve bought a Crusader Forge years ago and it’s very well built, but it had a so thin frame in the cutout area that I wouldn’t trust it in the field. Medford I don’t own, but a guy I used to talk told me that once it closed in his hand wile in the field.

4l23ye.jpg

I have a Medford 187F. Dam good knife and no complaints from me. It has washers but flips so fast and smooth it acts like if it has bearings. Medford’s have special hardware that doesn’t allow for the owner to take them apart u less you have spanners. A lot of people complain that because they can’t take the knife apart they don’t like Medford’s. I personally haven’t had a need to take the knife apart, it was built correctly. Medford’s are shipped with Greg’s personal cell phone number. When I got my knife I called the number to see if it was real. Greg answered on second ring. Many of his knives are a little too big for my use but they are definately a quality product (I also think Busse makes some knives that are too big for my taste, but I do own a park ranger model). I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Medford if I ran across a good deal.

4l23ye.jpg

I have a Medford 187F. Dam good knife and no complaints from me. It has washers but flips so fast and smooth it acts like if it has bearings. Medford’s have special hardware that doesn’t allow for the owner to take them apart u less you have spanners. A lot of people complain that because they can’t take the knife apart they don’t like Medford’s. I personally haven’t had a need to take the knife apart, it was built correctly. Medford’s are shipped with Greg’s personal cell phone number. When I got my knife I called the number to see if it was real. Greg answered on second ring. Many of his knives are a little too big for my use but they are definately a quality product (I also think Busse makes some knives that are too big for my taste, but I do own a park ranger model). I wouldn’t hesitate to get another Medford if I ran across a good deal.

This is one of the models I got to handle, and the one I checked out had such a light detent that it wouldn’t flip past about 70%. I believe that yours does, but the experience of that, in conjunction with handling the other models, made a terrible impression.

In fairness, lemons happen. It’s very possible that I handled a sample that isn’t indicative of the norm for that model.

Wolverine666 Wolverine666 I have never handled a Medford, but I have two very large CF knives, both are FIFP Ex's. Almost 12" I think, so I think the biggest folders he makes. They are monsters, and I am sure for the light and slicey crowd they are ridiculous atrocities. And that's cool. They are both on bearings and one is a flipper. Both are very very solid. I wouldn't worry about attempting some Cold Steel-esque testing with them. Both blades are very sharp, but of course with the blade stock thickness the grind is on the obtuse side. The only issue I find with them is that with such a thick and heavy blade, the detent is "light" - meaning I can snap the blade out with the right type of motion. It won't fall out or jiggle out, but with the right motion you can deploy the blade. Someone told me they break in a bit and detent gets better, but that seems counterintuitive. The other "issue" is most are camo coated or flamed. Neither of which I am a fan of. But, they are fun to have, and if I ever need to stab a car door or a motorcycle helmet or pry up a floorboard, these would be my go to. It is quite possible that on some of the more reasonable folders the detent thing is a non issue.

IMG_4378.jpg

Wolverine666 Wolverine666 I have never handled a Medford, but I have two very large CF knives, both are FIFP Ex's. Almost 12" I think, so I think the biggest folders he makes. They are monsters, and I am sure for the light and slicey crowd they are ridiculous atrocities. And that's cool. They are both on bearings and one is a flipper. Both are very very solid. I wouldn't worry about attempting some Cold Steel-esque testing with them. Both blades are very sharp, but of course with the blade stock thickness the grind is on the obtuse side. The only issue I find with them is that with such a thick and heavy blade, the detent is "light" - meaning I can snap the blade out with the right type of motion. It won't fall out or jiggle out, but with the right motion you can deploy the blade. Someone told me they break in a bit and detent gets better, but that seems counterintuitive. The other "issue" is most are camo coated or flamed. Neither of which I am a fan of. But, they are fun to have, and if I ever need to stab a car door or a motorcycle helmet or pry up a floorboard, these would be my go to. It is quite possible that on some of the more reasonable folders the detent thing is a non issue.

View attachment 988783

Those do look pretty cool. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a VIS Metro yesterday. But there were a few things that I wasn't crazy about : 1) It had a G10 scale on the presentation side and titanium on the lock side. I wanted a full titanium model. 2) The 3D blade coating is kinda cool but I really prefer non-coated blades for the most part. And 3) it weighed 9.39 oz. Now , I like and appreciate a big heavy knife. But this one just seemed too heavy. Not too mention it was $745 which , for me , is expensive for a knife. Anything over $500 makes me uneasy. And for $745 , I want exactly what I want with no compromises.

For the price of the VIS Metro , I could buy 3 or 4 other knives that are on my list. So that's what I did. Perhaps if I come across a Crusader down the road that really calls to me then I'll grab it. But the price of them (and Medfords) just turns me off.

Those do look pretty cool. I was very close to pulling the trigger on a VIS Metro yesterday. But there were a few things that I wasn't crazy about : 1) It had a G10 scale on the presentation side and titanium on the lock side. I wanted a full titanium model. 2) The 3D blade coating is kinda cool but I really prefer non-coated blades for the most part. And 3) it weighed 9.39 oz. Now , I like and appreciate a big heavy knife. But this one just seemed too heavy. Not too mention it was $745 which , for me , is expensive for a knife. Anything over $500 makes me uneasy. And for $745 , I want exactly what I want with no compromises.

For the price of the VIS Metro , I could buy 3 or 4 other knives that are on my list. So that's what I did. Perhaps if I come across a Crusader down the road that really calls to me then I'll grab it. But the price of them (and Medfords) just turns me off.
Yeah, that's the obvious hurdle for any of the big titanium overbuilt+ midtech/customs. Price. I could have bought 4-6 nice smaller knives for the price of each of these, but I am pretty far past the accumulation phase of collecting, so more is not always better. For me. Weight is not really a concern for me generally, since I front pocket carry, with the clip, and I don't expect to carry something like this in running shorts etc. I also prefer non coated blades, but I did not mind for these so much. They certainly are not for everybody.

Yeah, that's the obvious hurdle for any of the big titanium overbuilt+ midtech/customs. Price. I could have bought 4-6 nice smaller knives for the price of each of these, but I am pretty far past the accumulation phase of collecting, so more is not always better. For me. Weight is not really a concern for me generally, since I front pocket carry, with the clip, and I don't expect to carry something like this in running shorts etc. I also prefer non coated blades, but I did not mind for these so much. They certainly are not for everybody.
And they (Crusaders) seem to be in high demand. They must be doing something right.

And they (Crusaders) seem to be in high demand. They must be doing something right.
Always quite a few for sale on eBay. The knives seem to go to "dealers" who seem to only sell there. And a few other high end knife etailers. Anyway, one of those strange business models/dynamics. I'm sure there is a story/reason behind it all.

Aside from their own site , I can't seem to find anywhere else (dealers) who carry full Ti Crusaders and have them brand new in stock.

I keep putting off buying a big and heavy knife like a Crusader or Medford because I wouldn't use it very often. But that does not in any way make me want them any less.

I didn't vote because you forgot the "neither" option for those of us that don't favor silly folding boat anchors.

That said, I have one of the smaller MKTs and it's a well made knife that is too heavy, too thick but still lovable in its own way:

Rpcnc4g.jpg

I say too heavy even though this particular model weighs a little over five ounces while it doesn't have much more blade than something like a Benchmade Bugout, which incidentally cuts better and also can be serviced by the user without voiding the warranty.

IMO, nobody should buy a Medford under any circumstances. A knife that is too delicate to be disassembled or lubricated is not a reliable tool. Here is the letter that came with mine, written by the galactically stupid specially-abled Greg Medford:

mGeP2Vo.jpg

Right off the bat , let me state that I have no real experience with either brand. But they both intrigue me as far overbuilt folders go.

So it's simple , which brand overall do you think makes the superior product? Or , at least , which would you pick if you had to choose?

I know each brand makes numerous models. That's why I say "overall". But if you favor a particular model then let's hear it.

Can't speak for Medford, but good luck finding a Crusader. I have had two fixed blades and overbuilt is an understatement, but personally no interest overbuilt heavy folders myself.

I think, at least the one I have is made very well. Became very smooth after it was broken in. I understand other not liking them. I actually carry smaller knives. But I love big knives, I know.....Crazy. I'm screwed.

I didn't vote because you forgot the "neither" option for those of us that don't favor silly folding boat anchors.

That said, I have one of the smaller MKTs and it's a well made knife that is too heavy, too thick but still lovable in its own way:

Rpcnc4g.jpg

I say too heavy even though this particular model weighs a little over five ounces while it doesn't have much more blade than something like a Benchmade Bugout, which incidentally cuts better and also can be serviced by the user without voiding the warranty.

IMO, nobody should buy a Medford under any circumstances. A knife that is too delicate to be disassembled or lubricated is not a reliable tool. Here is the letter that came with mine, written by the galactically stupid specially-abled Greg Medford:

mGeP2Vo.jpg
Yeah , that's it. I "forgot".

Back