Medium Choppa thread!!

It looked like the LC and MC were pretty comparable.
I counted 30 whacks with the LC and 32 with the MC.
HDFK was up around 80-90... Kids interrupted me while counting.
Just curious how comparable the LC and MC felt in hand ( ATJ999 ATJ999 ).
Is there an obvious weight difference? Does one bite deeper than the other?
Do I need both???

It looked like the LC and MC were pretty comparable.
I counted 30 whacks with the LC and 32 with the MC.
HDFK was up around 80-90... Kids interrupted me while counting.
Just curious how comparable the LC and MC felt in hand ( ATJ999 ATJ999 ).
Is there an obvious weight difference? Does one bite deeper than the other?
Do I need both???
I think the CPK team went the right direction with the MC. It is just noticeable in weight difference when using, but not enough to cause more fatigue. They both bite about the same I would say, or close to, but the LC blade geometry "slices" into the wood like a light saber, the medium chopper uses its weight and more "powers in" to the wood. If that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, the MC is thin behind the edge and is effortless when chopping and slicing into the wood, but for people that have the LC, you know how thin that edge is and how "slicey" it is. In the post with the LC edge deformations I mentioned that my LC has quite a few tiny deformations. My medium chopper has not had one so far(I have not chopped as much with it, or as hard of wood yet, but confident it won't have this problem).
It is different chopping on camera, live or not. haha Just not used to it, but off camera, I would say you are right, they are VERY comparable. The MC is just stout enough to take much more abuse but still perform at the same level. The LC and MC do feel a little different in hand, I will have to pay more attention about that and get back to you guy with a more detailed answer. Maybe after I get home from work in the morning I'll spend some time comparing grips when using.
BTW, just say the MC on the exchange!!! hopefully someone here scored that that will put it to work soon!! :)

Nice comparison thanks! I would think the MC would bite slightly more (deeper) than the LC because it is slightly heavier, (Just a thought)! The Main advantage of the MC is that people who weren't around or couldn't get the LC previously will now down the road have the opportunity to pick up a Great Chopper:thumbsup: Don't know if you have a BC on Pre-order, but i bet you will see a significant difference in it and the LC! Thanks again for your thoughts and Video:cool:

I think the CPK team went the right direction with the MC. It is just noticeable in weight difference when using, but not enough to cause more fatigue. They both bite about the same I would say, or close to, but the LC blade geometry "slices" into the wood like a light saber, the medium chopper uses its weight and more "powers in" to the wood. If that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, the MC is thin behind the edge and is effortless when chopping and slicing into the wood, but for people that have the LC, you know how thin that edge is and how "slicey" it is. In the post with the LC edge deformations I mentioned that my LC has quite a few tiny deformations. My medium chopper has not had one so far(I have not chopped as much with it, or as hard of wood yet, but confident it won't have this problem).
It is different chopping on camera, live or not. haha Just not used to it, but off camera, I would say you are right, they are VERY comparable. The MC is just stout enough to take much more abuse but still perform at the same level. The LC and MC do feel a little different in hand, I will have to pay more attention about that and get back to you guy with a more detailed answer. Maybe after I get home from work in the morning I'll spend some time comparing grips when using.
BTW, just say the MC on the exchange!!! hopefully someone here scored that that will put it to work soon!! :)

Really appreciate your thoughts!

Disclaimer: I've never held an MC--

... but I can attest to the fact that I can really crank the LC with a level of speed that I can't approach with other blades of equal length but greater mass and different ergonomics. The LC is really head and shoulders above others in my arsenal in this issue of small mass + ergos!

Of course it's easier to degrade your aim when you're really whipping a blade.

Perhaps the MC would be more controllable requiring less acceleration to strike with an equal amount of force due to its greater mass?

Force = Mass x Acceleration

Should be fairly straightforward trial for any member with both models.

There are some other specs that differ between the two besides the mass that would need to be accounted for...but the two models are pretty similar to each other in other ways.

Most of it is an accumulation of things that have saved my butt on the side of the road/up tower in a wind turbine, with a decent amount of first aid/comfort and a bit of "OMG Zombies" thrown in. And it's my lunch bag ;).

~Chip

Carothers_Medium_Chopper__13950.1523645166.1280.1280.jpg

Eric has started pressing these. If you want one, contact him by this weekend!

Back