MEGA RatManDu Coming This Wednesday 6/3/2020 At 9:00 PM Eastern!!!

Discussion in 'Swamp Rat Knives' started by MaxRat, May 30, 2020.

1. David Brown

David Brown Kydex Sheath and Holster Artist :) Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 4, 2001
    Do I need 2 ?

tinfoil hat timmy likes this.
  2. northern1

northern1

Apr 29, 2007
    In this case the benefit would be more lateral strength with a negligible weight increase and with the advent of Hybrid Combo grind, better slicing and cutting abilities.

My MegaWarden has really sold me on the HC grind. It might be one of the most ground breaking blade geometry features.....dare I say ever ? It’s pretty nifty

3. Aias

Aias

Aug 1, 2012
    I’d really like to hear more about this—pics or demo would be awesome.

4. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Spine shot would empty my pocketses

BIGDORK and Freedom Pullo like this.
  5. northern1

northern1

Apr 29, 2007
    Theres plenty of pics of the MegaWarden, better ones than I can take, i don’t even know how to post pics on here with my phone... but unfortunately the intricacies of that HC grind have to be seen and felt in person.

As far as the comparable weight and improved slicing and cutting ability of the .350 MegaMandu vs the standard RMD I’m taking Swamprats word on that per the first post.

6. dogboye

dogboye Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 23, 1999
    I dunno. I’m a huge fan of Swamp Rats. Heck, they were the gateway drug to the Bussekin-addiction. And I like the MEGA Swamp Warden. But for my uses? It works, but no better than a thinner Warden. I just don’t use my knives to pry. And barring that...
    Will it work? Yeah, sure. But to be honest, I have LITERALLY had knives made from sawmill blades with black-pipe scales that did all I REALLY need done by a blade. They were LESS than 1/8 inch thick.
    I’m just not feelin’ this. A lot of that is PROBABLY that the RMD was as close to perfect that I’ve found. What WOULD have made the RMD perfect would have been a hollow grind, which is all I can see this hybrid grind as being. No matter how I look at the MW, all I see it as is a massively thick blade that redeems it’s cutting ability with a REALLY good Hollie grind. Nothing more. Well, damn good steel and a stellar heat treat.
    So will I get a mega RMD? Probably. But do I think it’s better? No.

If I get it, it will be because I can’t say no to trying another incarnation of one of the best knife designs out there, bar none.

praetor, lmcq784, ironwagon and 3 others like this.
  7. hhmoore

hhmoore Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2014
    I'll post a couple when mine get here

8. elof_alv

elof_alv Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Not really in terms of lateral strength... I-beams & C-beams are used in construction because they have more lateral strength than solid square or rectangular beams...
    The HC grind might have a better slicing/cutting ability... but then if vanilla RMD wasn't 1/8 (rolf) thick above secondary bevel ('the edge')... or god forbid a hollow ground with thin shoulder...

And up to a little while ago, there was a fella here (sometimes) who allegedly used his RMD (one of the first runs) as climbing aide, as in hanging off it and standing on it while it was jammed into cracks in the rock face. I'd say that's plenty strong without excessive thickness.

9. MaxRat

MaxRat

Dec 30, 2019
    More pictures and testing video coming today... Stay tuned...

10. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    Yeeeeessssssss!

11. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    :eek: Hell No! :eek:We Won’t Go :eek: We wanna see the Video!!!!

12. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019

Good things come to those who wait. It is on its way uploading now.

VashHash and JACKMANDU like this.
  13. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    You guys are so accommodating.

Buncha sweethearts you are.

14. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    Max,

Just out of curiosity... Do you think this will be the last variant? I have an original and it might be pretty cool to have the other end of the family tree (can't afford to collect/find all the 'tweeners).

This'ns a CHUNKY RAT!!!

15. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007

16. RATequila

RATequila

Dec 30, 2019
    Your going to want one to stay and one to play.

Woodsmann likes this.
  17. Ladams19

Ladams19 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2015
    This is one my most favorite designs made by Busse. I might have to jump into this one. Love my Ratmandu's

18. tinfoil hat timmy

Aug 21, 2014
    Reminds me of senior prom

954Ink likes this.
  19. nawlinz

nawlinz

Nov 27, 2011
    Thinner? Heck no! Ever hear Jethro Tull "Thick as a brick"? That's me...da thicka, da betta!

KennyD

20. Freedom Pullo

Freedom Pullo Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 31, 2015
    There is going to be a feeding frenzy at the trough at 2100