Members Online

Well, if that is so, you are guaranteed to lose my platinum membership when I renew at gold. By not providing it, you make this MUCH LESS OF A FAMILY.
Let's clear some air here my friend. I am not paid by the site, nor do I make any decisions regarding how it operates. When we went through the transition to the new format, I asked the same question you did because I like that feature as well for similar reasons.
Well, I intend to post this information on several forums, since everyone is wondering where the info can be found, and so they understand it's something you can control but choose not to without a charge.
If you think that it is something that I can control, you are quite wrong. That is under the control of the site owner and his staff, of which I am neither. If you and I can be constructive together, I would be more than happy to help you bring it to light, because like I said earlier,I miss the feature.

My thought process was that the more who knew this, the better it might help to change it. No bad intent, I assure you. But tons of people have asked me, and no one has bothered to ask you, maybe? Sorry it came across wrong. My comment about going down to Gold didn't help, I am sure. Heat of the moment, I suppose. Cool?

I only posted the link to this thread in Carothers Knives subforum, no other.

That topic was brought up during the new software beta testing and IMO it came across as a topic ignored.

From a Maker's sub forum owner point of view - that feature also allowed the forum owner/mod to see how many and exactly who had viewed each thread. That helped with marketing and sales. If I can not make money using the sub forum I'm paying for .. then why continue to have one?

I'm along the same lines as mentioned, it's something we paid for it - so it kinda rubs me the wrong way. I'm getting less options/service for a product that's already been paid for. Spark could have listened to the paying users .. and offered the upgrade for an upgraded premium.

We are absolutely cool, I'm easy like Sunday morning my friend.

The reason I answered your initial question was that I was the first to bring this up when we went into the test phase with the new format. I gave you the answer that I got. I like the feature for a couple of reasons, especially having a hosted subforum. I liked to be able to see what kind of lurkers I have, it helps me with direction.

Last edited:
Gentleman, I suggest that if we want the feature brought back, we discuss it like adults and maybe we can convince the owner to re evaluate the decision not to implement it in the new format.

Or more bluntly, let's not just bitch about it, let's try to find a solution.

This isn't a feature of the new software. There are plugins that could be purchased that add similar functionality but how well they work is questionable.

And the "paying supporters of this site" comment is meant to do what exactly? You're paying for a forum to discuss knives and to sell knives. Not for a list of features in forums software.

Here is some good wisdom in what is basically, an identical thread;

Gentleman, I suggest that if we want the feature brought back, we discuss it like adults and maybe we can convince the owner to re evaluate the decision not to implement it in the new format.

Or more bluntly, let's not just bitch about it, let's try to find a solution.

I would also like to see this feature back. It could be a benefit of paid membership to help sweeten the pot for supporting the site and might help offset the additional fees with selling new memberships and maintaining current ones. Keep in mind, this is just an idea from someone who doesn't know anything about the how tough it would be to implement it or how much in fees it would need to be able to offset in new/retained income.

That feature had some value to me too, it helped me see who's engaging. Also, we have some pretty frantic Friday sales sometimes and I think it adds to the experience when the guys can see who's "in the room" with them, which adds to the fun. @Spark if you have any pricing information on the plugin that you'd be willing to share with me, we might be able to help sponsor a site upgrade, assuming you'd be interesting in implementing it?

That feature had some value to me too, it helped me see who's engaging. Also, we have some pretty frantic Friday sales sometimes and I think it adds to the experience when the guys can see who's "in the room" with them, which adds to the fun. @Spark if you have any pricing information on the plugin that you'd be willing to share with me, we might be able to help sponsor a site upgrade, assuming you'd be interesting in implementing it?

Well said Nathan:thumbsup:

There's three simultaneous threads on this topic. Bill, maybe we can merge them or close them both and start a new one to hear some reasons on why some of us find it useful?

Well said Nathan:thumbsup:

There's three simultaneous threads on this topic. Bill, maybe we can merge them or close them both and start a new one to hear some reasons on why some of us find it useful?

Merged for now

Now we're all on the same page, that should help.
You da man Bill.

I think the best option of getting this purchased and implemented by Spark is if we give him the reasons why its important. "Because I pay my dues" isn't a reason!

Just out of curiosity what is the reason you want to see who is viewing a/your thread? There was another thread here recently with someone missing the feature as well and I can't see the usefulness of it.

As a member, it was kinda interesting to see who was lurking in some threads and not saying anything. Just as one example, if someone accused of scamming another member on the exchange shows up and reads the GBU thread about how they did this shifty thing and screwed another member and doesn't respond to set the record straight, that says a lot about the likely truth of the situation.

If I'm interested in making an offer on a knife for sale, or hoping to get some info. on it quickly, it's a big help to see that the seller is currently online.

If I'm interested in making an offer on a knife for sale, or hoping to get some info. on it quickly, it's a big help to see that the seller is currently online.

You can tell if the seller is online by looking at their avatar. The upper left corner will be green if they are. Unless they're in "invisible mode", in which case they wouldn't show up on a "who's viewing" list either.

You can tell if the seller is online by looking at their avatar. The upper left corner will be green if they are. Unless they're in "invisible mode", in which case they wouldn't show up on a "who's viewing" list either.

Thanks, I hadn't caught that.

Andrew

The indefinable - it has made, IMHO, Bladeforums less of a community. If the powers that be can't see the reasoning in that point (because of what it might mean in membership) then why even argue the point. It puts Bladeforums in the position of going backward with tech/community than forward.

It becomes more about money and less about people. That requires a balance of fact. Expense side of the balance sheet is imticrtant but a declining membership is even more problematic.

I want to know who of my friends are in "the room" or exchange, each for different reasons. Take a poll of gold and platinum members and find out some facts.

Last edited:
I really liked that feature, but it wasn't a necessity for me. Would be nice to have, but at what cost? Would membership rates have to be raised to implement it? Can't really make an informed decision without knowing all the behind the scenes details.

I really miss that feature myself.

Back