1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Mercator K55K Disappointment

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Mitch Taldison, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Mitch Taldison

Mitch Taldison

Jan 26, 2019
    Guys I got in a new Mercator K55K Katze Black Cat Kaiser Wilhelm Messer carbon steel knife but sadly the cat motif, painted in gold, is very faint:

[​IMG]

It looks much brighter in this photo than in real life due to reflection, there are parts of the cat silhouette and lettering that don’t even have any gold paint. :(

I’ve seen many other photos of the K55K and they all seem to show a rich definition. I feel as if I received one that didn’t get the correct amount of paint. Should I return it? Or does the gold paint wear off with time anyway? How long does that take?

Thank you for helping me. Nobody wants there new knife to have a flaw and I was deeply saddened to find this on my Mercator.

Thoughts?

2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    The gold eventually wears so expect some discoloration or removal, as long as the blade lock is firm and is sharp, use it. Mine is from a few years ago and it had worn away from pocket carry and just playing with it.

3. A.L.

A.L.

Jun 27, 2007
    Yes, this. If you end up using it it's going to be very soon gone anyways.

Mitch Taldison likes this.
  4. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    For what they cost, the gold and even some of the black scuffs and chips, but it remains a solid cost effective user.

I am more bothered more about the slight crack in the plastic back spacer of mine...even though it hasn't gone anywhere in over the decade.

Mitch Taldison and jbmonkey like this.
  5. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Get some gold paint from hobby store and throw a fresh layer on there. It's a budget user knife.

jux t, AntDog, Night Rider and 9 others like this.
  6. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Its a cheapo, just use the snot out of it.

jux t, Night Rider, knarfeng and 4 others like this.
  7. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    not a great collector as the fit and finish on these isnt great, but they are good users. use it and enjoy 'er.......

Lapedog and Mitch Taldison like this.
  8. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Send it to me, and I will dispose of this hideous abomination appropriately.

9. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    It wears off pretty quickly. But as others have mentioned, you could always re-paint it. Probably some model paint would be a good option since metallics are readily available in small quantities in that format and it'll probably adhere to the enamel well as long as you de-grease it before application.

jbmonkey and Mitch Taldison like this.
  10. JPD1998

JPD1998 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2004
    My Mercator was the same. I touched it up with a Pentel gold metallic gel pen from Staples.

Night Rider and Mitch Taldison like this.
  11. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    As others have said, it’s an inexpensive user. You could go through a bunch and never find one with bright gold fill. Enjoy your knife!

Besides, as the gold wears away and the black cat gets “blacker”, the drag coefficient of the knife decreases while the speed notches up:p.

12. katanas

katanas

Jan 6, 2012
    I hope this is the biggest problem you ever have with a knife (or in life). ;)

13. Mitch Taldison

Mitch Taldison

Jan 26, 2019
    Thank you, gentleman.

My heart soars like a hawk, to know that this isn’t an exclusive issue to my knife, and that the cat will fade anyway.

14. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Well you are easily amused. ;-{>

katanas, Mistman68 and CableGirl like this.
  15. marcinek

marcinek

Jan 9, 2007
    Cool. Though I think you are missing the subtle point that the gang is making, i.e., "Even if the logos on all other new Mercators were pristine, and that no other logo on a Mercator has ever faded....who cares? They are inexpensive (but great) users."

16. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
    Dude, you are invoking filtrum with that kind of talk!
    :D

palonej and Hackenslash like this.
  17. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    It's said if you look in a mirror and say "Tactical" three times filtrum appears and complains that it's still not black enough. :eek:

Night Rider, WadeWilson and palonej like this.
  18. BladeScout

May 16, 2010
  19. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Are there any clear coats the OP could potentially put over the gold paint should he decide to go that route? Maybe if he is super anal about the gold being there lol.

20. FortyTwoBlades

FortyTwoBlades Baryonyx walkeri Dealer / Materials Provider

Mar 8, 2008
    Any sort of clear coat should do the trick, I'd figure. I'm not a pro with that stuff, though.