Mercator K55K Disappointment

I'm wary of any knife with 8 words in its name.

Guys I got in a new Mercator K55K Katze Black Cat Kaiser Wilhelm Messer carbon steel knife ....

There's a lot of redundant redundancy in there. :D

"Mercator K55K Katze Black Cat Kaiser Wilhelm Messer carbon steel knife" is really "Mercator K55K Cat Black Cat Kaiser Wilhelm Knife carbon steel knife.."

I have one from Ray Mears with the green handle and black-painted cat. I had to apply some fire caulk to some pipe and duct penetrations through the walls and decks in a commercial building renovation. The foreman gave me the caulk "sausages" only; no caulk gun, utility knife, or trowel. I managed with my Mercator, a piece of scrap metal, and gloved hands. Got it done before the fire inspector arrived. Here's the Merc after a half day of this. The caulk is set up like a tough, hard rubber. I imagine that the painted cat is well sealed under this stuff...20190416_173035.jpg20190416_173051.jpg

I got my 1st Schwarze Katze a month ago. I was blown away by the quality of the $28 knife. Every thing on the handle was smooth, it locks up solid, takes a razor edge and keeps it well.

Amazingly the black powder coat is flawless, but best of all my kitty was complete with no breaks in the gold outline. Life is good my friends!

I have one from Ray Mears with the green handle and black-painted cat. I had to apply some fire caulk to some pipe and duct penetrations through the walls and decks in a commercial building renovation. The foreman gave me the caulk "sausages" only; no caulk gun, utility knife, or trowel. I managed with my Mercator, a piece of scrap metal, and gloved hands. Got it done before the fire inspector arrived. Here's the Merc after a half day of this. The caulk is set up like a tough, hard rubber. I imagine that the painted cat is well sealed under this stuff...View attachment 1111705View attachment 1111706
Improvise, adapt, overcome.
Yet another way to use a proven classic knife design.

I have one from Ray Mears with the green handle and black-painted cat. I had to apply some fire caulk to some pipe and duct penetrations through the walls and decks in a commercial building renovation. The foreman gave me the caulk "sausages" only; no caulk gun, utility knife, or trowel. I managed with my Mercator, a piece of scrap metal, and gloved hands. Got it done before the fire inspector arrived. Here's the Merc after a half day of this. The caulk is set up like a tough, hard rubber. I imagine that the painted cat is well sealed under this stuff...View attachment 1111705View attachment 1111706
That Mercator cat is sealed and fire proofed now Lol, It's a Win Win :D

Go to the Dollar Store and grab some gold nail polish and paint it in with a toothpick.

BTW, Dollar Store nail polish works a treat to colour fill roll marks on firearms too, just a slightly different technique.

Go to the Dollar Store and grab some gold nail polish and paint it in with a toothpick.

BTW, Dollar Store nail polish works a treat to colour fill roll marks on firearms too, just a slightly different technique.

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Could use metallic model paint too. If you want the paint to stay a bit longer, brush on some clear nail polish after the gold is dry and wipe down the flats.

I have a Ruger Mark II target model that had a drifting rear sight. A couple “dings” with a center punch and a coat of clear nail polish in the channel and it’s going nowhere.

Back