Photos Metal Monday - Post Your Metal TRADITIONAL Pics

bJyU9Mu.jpg

QvcBTbn.jpg

Elsewhere it's stamped 'Sweden" and 'g', or possibly '9'.

Today I'm carrying this British 1286 pattern Clasp Knife by George Ibberson, made in 1945.

q9K60Md.jpg

These knives first went into production towards the end of WW2, when the British Army requested a stainless knife for use in the Far East. It quickly became known as the 'Burma Knife'. Here are a few more examples.

GFC5Vf7.jpg

kdZN9oT.jpg

0AnQpcZ.jpg

It's a useful pattern, and I come across the knives quite often, but they are not always in good condition, having being badly abused, like this Harrison Fisher example from 1945, and very commonly having broken back springs.

wsb64cr.jpg

While solidly built, and they are not always well-made, with many having high-sitting blades, such as on the two examples below, by A. Wright (1952) and J. H. Thompson (1953)

5ygwIl4.jpg

1poLqJo.jpg

Today I'm carrying this British 1286 pattern Clasp Knife by George Ibberson, made in 1945.

q9K60Md.jpg

These knives first went into production towards the end of WW2, when the British Army requested a stainless knife for use in the Far East. It quickly became known as the 'Burma Knife'. Here are a few more examples.

GFC5Vf7.jpg

kdZN9oT.jpg

0AnQpcZ.jpg

It's a useful pattern, and I come across the knives quite often, but they are not always in good condition, having being badly abused, like this Harrison Fisher example from 1945, and very commonly having broken back springs.

wsb64cr.jpg

While solidly built, and they are not always well-made, with many having high-sitting blades, such as on the two examples below, by A. Wright (1952) and J. H. Thompson (1953)

5ygwIl4.jpg

1poLqJo.jpg
Nice collection of 'Burma Knives'Jack!:thumbsup:
It is indeed quite a useful pattern. I carry my Ibberson often. This one was taken to the grinder by the previous owner.
p06jmYj.jpg

liOb4Bq.jpg

dkdXicY.jpg

Last edited:
Nice collection of 'Burma Knives'Jack!:thumbsup:
It is indeed quite a useful pattern. I carry my Ibberson often. This one was taken to the grinder by the previous owner.
p06jmYj.jpg

They might have been on the bench next to each other :) I think I still have a few more in my 'To Do' box :rolleyes: Some of those knives had a hard war, but, like other military patterns, a lot ended up as tool-box knives, where they had even more abuse :eeek: I'm not sure I'd want to hear the story behind the Harrison Fisher! :eek:

Genius! Does the pivot unscrew so one can switch keys?
Ugh... this brought back bad memories, I have Schlage wifi locks with a digital touchpad that you can open either with a code punched on the keypad or wirelessly using a smartphone. Unless of course the keypad decides not to work and for some reason the wifi suddenly doesn't work either... which happened... on both entry doors. :mad: My wife and I were locked out at 8 PM on a night when it felt like 10 deg (F) outside and we had a pork roast cooking in the crock pot. :rolleyes: Locksmiths either couldn't come out to our house or wanted to charge $200 pre-pay and be there when they get there. My wife had to go to the bathroom so we went to the local gas station and she came out with a 12 pack of beer... after 8 beers my wife finally had enough of me carefully trying to get in through the patio door and grabbed a chisel, hammer and the saws-all and proceeded to cut out all the wood around the dead bolt in the garage entryway LoL. Long story short... deadbolts are only as strong as the wood that holds them in place :D

Back