1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MGregory Knives/Ben Seward Collaboration Aikuchi COOP PIC ADDED

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Matthew Gregory, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    @Ben Seward and I met a while ago, but it wasn't until talking about the finer points of heat treat while watching the Bladesports World Cutting Championship Finals during this year's Blade Show that we hit if off. After sharing our experiences in that stinking convention center parking lot in the oppressive Atlanta heat, we agreed to stay in touch. From that point on, we've just about talked weekly. Despite our styes and methods being rather dissimilar, the end products of our labors are somehow complementary.

In mid-July, he mentioned that he'd be up my way (sort of) visiting family, and asked if I could give him a quick tutorial on how I wrap handles.

[​IMG]

We ate some grilled chicken, laughed on the back deck a bit, and he even broke out the guitar:

[​IMG]

When he came, he brought along a blade that maybe we could do a project together with...

[​IMG]

Made of his gorgeous stainless-clad carbon steel San Mai, the sweep and flow just oozed his style. His original thoughts were that I'd run with it as a kwaiken, but something about the blade shape told me to head in a slightly different direction...

[​IMG]

Shifting to a stick tang, I elected to use some modern materials to feed off of his new/old material blade construction. A stainless steel seppa and carbon fiber guard:

[​IMG]

After a bit of fiddling and scootching:

[​IMG]

For the handle, I wanted to do something very different. The core is TeroTuf...

[​IMG]

...which I sleeved in carbon fiber fabric, and coated in numerous coats of resin and polished to a sheen.

[​IMG]

Getting closer:

[​IMG]

...then some fancy details to complete the package, and some carbon fiber tsukaito:

[​IMG]

The final results:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blade is 6-1/2" long, with a 5-3/8" long handle, and an overall length of just shy of 12". Weighs in at 9-5/8 ounces. The tiger-and-bamboo menuki are sterling silver and gold plate.

Fun project! Ben's a good time, and I'm glad he and his family got the chance to swing by. I hope he thinks I made the best of his work. Hope you like it, too, and thanks for looking!

2. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    That really is extraordinary, such a wonderful contrast and your fit/finish is exemplary as always. :)

Many congrats to you both, a superior collaboration buddy.... :cool:

3. R APPLEBY

R APPLEBY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 11, 2003
    Excellent collaboration fellas, well done

Matthew Gregory likes this.
  4. Ben Seward

Ben Seward Full-time Bladesmith/Part-time Idiot

Jun 28, 2012
    You knocked this one put of the park buddy! It's been fun to watch Matt run with my little bit of work...truly inspiring.

5. Durban Devil

Durban Devil Hunter Handmade Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 13, 2012
    Beautiful job! You guys did really well on that knife.

6. Robert Erickson

Robert Erickson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 2, 2014
    Absolutely top notch cool in every way.

7. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    So freaking awesome!

8. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    As the French say, super cool!

Matthew Gregory and Mike157 like this.
  9. fishface5

fishface5 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    Holy crap that is GORGEOUS!

10. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    love it

11. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    YEP! My thoughts EXACTLY!!!

12. PaulDiStefano

PaulDiStefano KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 14, 2016
    Crazy cool knife. I've never been a fan of the double edge style kwaikens and tantos but boy has my mind changed. It makes it look twice as wicked and mean! Great work guys!

13. JParanee

JParanee

Dec 23, 2006
    Stellar piece

14. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010
    Wow, you most definitely did that beautiful san mai justice, Matt! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I love the coffin shape you gave the handle, it works so perfectly with the blade's profile. That CF sleeve is really a neat idea too, and beautifully executed and polished (as with everything else).

Hah, wish I could also get a lesson on wrapping from you as well, especially on those end knots you do with wraps that don't terminate through a hole in the tang.

Anyway, beautiful work as always! :)

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel

... (It's been a few years since my last upload)

15. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Looks great.

16. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    very beautiful build !

17. Win Heger

Win Heger Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 29, 2000
    What a great way to start my Sunday! That piece is terrific, thanks for the great write up, too.

18. toolboxtat

toolboxtat Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 27, 2007
    I have to agree with everyone else's postings! The handle by itself, is art. All the component's coming together wonderfully.

19. The Shatz

The Shatz Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2017
    Way cool old school meets new love it!

20. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Supercalifrgalisticexpialidocious!!;)