Micarta vs Rucarta

So, I have noticed in my A.G. Russell catalog that many of his knives have a Rucarta handle. It looks like micarta, and it has a similar name as well. Are they the same thing? If not, what is the difference?

Micarta is a trademarked name Of Norplex-Micarta, Rucarta is not. For all intents and purposes, it serves the same function and is basically the same thing.

Rucarta is layers of cloth and phenolic resin.
I have a A.G. Russ knife with it, and it is quite nice.

So, I have noticed in my A.G. Russell catalog that many of his knives have a Rucarta handle. It looks like micarta, and it has a similar name as well. Are they the same thing? If not, what is the difference?

When Westinghouse owned the trademark Micarta, I wanted a color they would not make so I went to Norplex and had it made and called it Rucarta (Russell's Carta) and now wherever it is made for me I name it Rucarta.

wenkrush,
Interesting topic. Thank you for posting it up.

When Westinghouse owned the trademark Micarta, I wanted a color they would not make so I went to Norplex and had it made and called it Rucarta (Russell's Carta) and now wherever it is made for me I name it Rucarta.

Mr. Russell,
I never would have guessed that this is how Rucarta got its name. Thank you for sharing that.

That's too funny, thanks for the info Mr. Russell! One thing that I have heard is that Formica stands for "Formerly Micarta".

Thanks for explaining this. I was guessing that since micarta comes from various things (paper, linen, canvas, etc) that rucarta was made with rubber. I should have guessed that since I've only seen you offer knives in rucarta that it came from your name.

There are products that are for sale to the knifemaker that give the same look without the toxic problems when working with it.

There are products that are for sale to the knifemaker that give the same look without the toxic problems when working with it.

I realize you are new but this is the second thread on the same topic you have resurrected from the grave. This one is two years old and the other was 4 years old. Not trying to be harsh, it's just encouraged that members look at the last post date before posting in older threads.

Yes I understand that this thread is a Resurrection! However if you see the new AG Russell Fall 2013 catalog. They have their Cowboy and Rancher knife that features Rucarta handles on the front cover. Every time the Russell Catalog comes out with a Rucarta handle there is new interest in Rucarta. While it's not available to the knifemakers Warwood is the perfect replacement! When finished their black and wine colors are right there with Rucarta that Russell offers on their knives, but without the toxic problems associated with finishing Micarta/Rucarta.New products are as exciting to see as new knife makers!

I agree it's nice looking but only available for Russell or friends of Russell Knives. The rest of us needed to find similar product. Warwood was introduced this year at the AG Russell Knife Event, it was clearly a great addition as the red ,green, brown and black all sold out. Will AG ever think about offering parts such as the Rucarta, it would be great to see these special products available but then again they might get so they aren't special.

Back