Michael Walker response

Status
Not open for further replies.

HermanKnives

Banned
to all, Michael called me yesterday afternoonand asked if i would help him get his response onto the forums. he is'nt registered as a member here and don't know about posting. i told him i would be glad to. here is his response exactly as i received it form him.

Hello, my name is Michael Walker. I don't want to get on a rant here, but I would like to say a few words about the "linerlock" chat
going on. Forum? More like a "snivel line" . A place where people can repeat RUMORS and say things that they don't have the guts to stand up in my face and say. Sort of reminds me of the old hens at the fence. What is a linerlock? It is a side spring locking folder that can be opened and closed with one hand without moving the knife in the hand. The lock is tapered to adjust for wear. The back can be partially open for easy cleaning. It seems that the same narrow minded attitude
prevails in this forum as when I trademarked the name linerlock. Most knifemakers making linerlocks didn't understand the difference between a trademark and a patent. Knifemakers thought that the trademark would prevent them from making linerlocks, so they were all pissed at me for it, when in reality I was not concerned as to which knifemakers made
linerlocks. A trademark only covers a name.

I have always helped anyone that asked with the linerlock, titanium, anodizing, etc. because that was the SPIRIT of the Guild. Ron Lake was trying to get the point across that as Guild members we shared our ideas and innovations. Now when someone takes what you have shared with them and sells it to a factory as their own, everything changes. It never had anything to do with other knifemakers making linerlocks or interframes or anything. Ron Lake has always helped everyone that asked and set a great example for those of us who joined the Guild after him. I am surprised to hear so many attacking him. Ron has always said what he thinks is right and why. That is why he was one of the best board members we will ever have. His contribution to knifemaking is tremendous. He set the quality standard of folding knives more than 25 years ago and, to my mind, no one has stepped up to that quality level yet. Ron has never compromised what he believes in, and those who think Ron would stand up and make the points he tried to get across because we are friends do not know Mr. Lake. He is the best friend I will ever have, but that was not what this was about. It was about the spirit of the Guild. It never had anything to do with anyone except those Guild members who have sold designs to the factories. Where we all used to share new ideas and innovation, now you have to cover your ass first or see your ideas on a factory knife from Taiwan the next week. LINERLOCK CONSTRUCTION: Emerson wrote an article for Knives Illustrated a few years ago explaining this. Bernard Levine wrote an article for KI. Ken Warner spells it out in KNIVES 91, page31. A.G. Russell has explained it and Bob Terzuola puts it like this in his new book, Page 47. " The modern LINERLOCK was INVENTED by Michael Walker in 1981 and aside from using a leaf spring, bears no resemblance to the electrician`s knife. Basically what Michael did was to create a true locking system which did not need a back spring to hold the blade open. The leaf spring in the old design was nothing more than a safety device for the screwdriver blade. Michael's leaf spring actually locks and secures the blade in the open position without the need for a second spring. Also ,the true LINERLOCK allows the blade to be opened and closed with one hand, without changing the position of the knife. This INVENTION has truly changed the face of modern pocket cutlery both in hand made and factory production arenas and full credit is due him for his contribution."
So yes, I DID invent the LINERLOCK. I also came up with the name LINERLOCK.It is not just aboutthe spring. It is the whole concept of the LINERLOCK. The look, the action, style, construction ect. Iquit making linerlocks for the most part in the 90's because there was so much crap being made and called "LINERLOCKS" that I didn't want to be
associated with it. I went on to other things. Any of you who think those old brass safety knives were linerlocks need to make them. Take out the ball detent, the cutout for the stud, the one hand-opening device, stud, washer, etc., the thrust washers, the stop pin, the titanium liners, the tapered ramp, the anodizing, the open back, the one-hand operation, the screw construction. Then add a back spring. Go ahead and make tons of them without these features. I hope you do well! But, on the other hand, if you choose to usethe innovations I spent years developing, then do so with a little appreciation. We all benefit from the work of those who came before us. I for one give credit to those who paved the way before I started making knives. Ten, fifteen or twenty years ago if you wanted to be successful at this business, you had to come up with something of your own. Ron Lake, Bob Hayes, Paul Poehlman, Bob Loveless each inspired me in a different way. There are those who contribute to knifemaking and those who just take. Which are you?? Trademarks: You cannot simply change spelling ,add dashes and dots or other silly things likethat to get around trademarks. Get real. If a consumer would confuse the two examples as being similar, then it is too close. You could not make soda and call it cola coke for example. All this info is available at the PTO (Patent Trademark Office) web site. Check it out! The comment that you have to have a patent to get royalties is incorrect. Only 5 Guild members I can think of of the 20+ makers getting royalties have patents; Ron Lake, Michael Walker, Blackie Collins, Bill McHenry & Bud Nealy. If I missed someone I apologize, but you get the point. To get royalties all you need to do is get a factory to produce a knife or linerlock style. It doesn't even need to be your own! Ron and I receive our royalties for the L.A.W.K.S.TM & Walker Knife Safety. This is the only significant linerlock innovation that has come along. It turns a heavy use folder into as close to a fixed blade as possible. It is used to prevent accidental release. The idea was that of Ron Lake. The only other innovation on the linerlock is the opening disc Bob Terzuola added to the top of the blade. Orders: I guess I need to clarify this also. I only take as many orders as I feel I can do in 1 year, and still be able to attend some shows. I try the new wrinkles on knives I make for the shows. Some customers want an order just as we discussed, others leave it up to me. All get the same dedication to the work I have given for 20 years. Mixing orders with doing some pieces for show (trying new things) means a "better" knife in general. Growth.

Finally: Those of you who have something to
say about me, need to step up in my face and say what you have to say. You also better be able to back it up with facts if you are a Guild member because there is recourse through the Guild for making false statements
about another Guild member. The strange thing about this Internet deal is that fact and BS are all taken as fact. Guess I will head on down to the local barber shop as they will be solving the nation's political problems today.
take care,
michael

Tim,
I was very nice of you to post for Mr. Walker.

I'm glad that he was able to speak for himself (so to say). Having only been interested in pocket knives for a short while, I didn't know all the history behind things, and most of what I learned I read here.

I beleive part of peoples "dislike" (atleast that's the what I percieved) for Mr. Walker is the that (I think) most of his knives are very expensive and very highend, and that most people on the forum won't be able to own one. I for one respect the fact that Mr. Walker can command such high prices for his work. The years of dedication he has put into knife making, and the experience behind his work should be reflected in his prices.

I'm glad I now have the story straight on the whole linerlock issue.

~Mitch

------------------
My Hobby Page

-AR

[This message has been edited by Jackyl (edited 08-19-2000).]

The modern LINERLOCK was INVENTED by Michael Walker in 1981 and aside from using a leaf spring, bears no resemblance to the electrician`s knife. Basically what Michael did was to create a true locking system which did not need a back spring to hold the blade open. The leaf spring in the old design was nothing more than a safety device for the screwdriver blade.

O.K., I am not much smarter then the average bear, so could one of you please define safety device for me? I was under the impression that this was just a very simple design that was intended to lock the screwdriver blade open.... Kind of like the first wheel that was made, it sure wasn't pretty, but it got the job done!

It hink a lot of it is also semantics. To me, as an engineer, anything I can't patent, I didn't invent. In this way of speaking, Mr. Walker 'drastically improved' the existing lock, but did not invent the liner lock. To others, he may very well have invented the liner lock. So, like so many famous events in history, I think a lot of the squabbling has been due to people speaking 'different languages,' and not clearly defining what they mean by a particular word.

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

This is something I very seldom do, but I think I have answered my own question!

AOL has a link to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and I done a little homework... The word safety device is not listed, but when I done a full text search it returned 5 results. I found 2 of them to be helpful. They are:

Main Entry: 1guard
Pronunciation: 'gärd
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English garde, from Middle French, from Old French, from garder to guard, defend, of Germanic origin; akin to Old High German wartEn to watch, take care -- more at WARD
Date: 15th century
1 : one assigned to protect or oversee another: as a : a person or a body of persons on sentinel duty b plural : troops attached to the person of the sovereign c British : CONDUCTOR b
2 a : a defensive state or attitude <asked him out when his guard was down> b : a defensive position (as in boxing)
3 a : the act or duty of protecting or defending b : the state of being protected : PROTECTION
4 : a protective or safety device; specifically : a device for protecting a machine part or the operator of a machine
5 archaic : PRECAUTION
6 a : a position or player next to the center in a football line b : a player stationed in the backcourt in basketball
- off guard : in an unprepared or unsuspecting state
- on guard : defensively watchful : ALERT

and,

Main Entry: 1safe·ty
Pronunciation: 'sAf-tE
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural safeties
Etymology: Middle English saufte, from Middle French sauveté, from Old French, from sauve, feminine of sauf safe
Date: 14th century
1 : the condition of being safe from undergoing or causing hurt, injury, or loss
2 : a device (as on a weapon or a machine) designed to prevent inadvertent or hazardous operation
3 a (1) : a situation in football in which a member of the offensive team is tackled behind its own goal line that counts two points for the defensive team -- compare TOUCHBACK (2) : a member of a defensive backfield in football who occupies the deepest position in order to receive a kick, defend against a forward pass, or stop a ballcarrier b : a billiard shot made with no attempt to score or so as to leave the balls in an unfavorable position for the opponent c : BASE HIT

The other 3 results were; fuse, air bag, and lens.... Nothing of relevance in any of them.... Well, maybe the second one, but let's just skip that for the time being!

In the definition of guard, Items 3a, 3b, and 4 seemed reasonable.

In the word safety numbers 1 and 2 seemed to be very relevant to this subject!

Pretty interesting, no?

I have pretty much decided which way I am voting on the subject at hand, but I am very interested in hearing everyone else's opinion!

IMHO -

The people who invented disc brakes, power steering, the automatic transmission, and four wheel drive made significant improvements to the automobile, with their contributions creating a vehicle that only slightly resembles Ford's machine, but they did not invent it.

The people who invented fly-by-wire, jet engines, and pressurized fuselages made significant improvements to the airplane, but they did not invent it.

I may be stickling for semantics, but I still don't believe Michael Walker invented the locking liner.

This is not personal, and it has nothing to do with the cost of living in Mr. Walker's neighborhood. If Mr. Walker believes he is entitled to credit or recognition for the invention of the device, good luck to him in seeking that credit. I appreciate his thought provoking and honest response.

------------------
AKTI Member #A000832

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes, the bear eats you."

Turn the question around backwards and you'll see Walker's point, and give him the recognition he's due: If Michael Walker hadn't become a knifemaker, does anyone think the linerlock knife would exist as it does today? No way! Unless some other genius had come along in the 70's, 80's or 90's to do it. And then that guy would rightfully deserve the credit. Michael created the lock everyone uses today, regardless of the inane semantics you may wish to engage in, and should be recognized for it, plain and simple.

Very good letter from Mr. Walker. And I do understand his point, although I don't think lumping everybody who partakes in an Internet forum as accepting anything said is fair. This is also narrow-minded. Perhaps he should come to the forum himself, face-to-face, per his own advice. I think had he done that the discussion would not have had so much speculation and would have been much richer from his contribution. That said, jbravo has a pretty good point and I think in fact that it is a true assessment of the industry. Mr. Walker certainly improved the mechanism in two fundamental ways: the ball-detent and the replacement of the backspring with a blade stop. The lack of the backspring makes the locking mechanism necessary and not only a "saftey-device". Does this mean he invented the lock? In all of it's particulars, I think the answer would be "yes". But the original idea of using the liner as a locking mechanism at all was not Mr. Walker's invention. Whether a patent is equivalent to invention is actually a debatable topic...just look at software patents! My thoughts...

Jeff Jenness

[This message has been edited by jeffj (edited 08-09-2000).]

I'm no expert, but as I'm looking at getting some patents myself, I'll explain what I found.

First, if you take an existing invention, and add something to it, your new "invention" or "improved widget" or whatever you want to call it, is patentable. At that point, it is strictly a silly game of semantics as to whether or not you want to call the person who has the patent on the improved widget the inventor.

The "liner lock", a term trademarked by Walker, specifically references what supposedly was a patentable mechanism. For myself, I call anyone who has a patent, the inventor of that particular item the patent is for, so if everything Walker wrote above is true, I would say it's correct to call him the inventor of the liner lock. But again, it's easy to play a game of semantics where you just want to call him the patent-holder or something. In any case, the spirit is the same -- whether you want to say "invent" or "improve", the features that make the liner lock popular and viable were Walker's, and patentable (I'm taking his claim at face value on this).

Hi All!!
At the risk of getting chewed out for being too practical, I think we are beating a dead horse. When you go back far enough you find that every one of the present day inovations are improvements on something that had been done before. Frank Lindsay, Steve's dad, produced exquisite folders back when present day top makers were still in three cornered pants. In his day, Frank was every bit as good as Steve is today. You will find that he or people like him were there long before the Michael Walker's and Ron Lake's of today ever started. Back up a hundred years or so and dig deep enough and someone was there tinkering around with the same thing back then. Drop back another hundred and find the same thing.
Walker deserves credit for bring this lock system to it's present state in todays world. The Guild did that so what's the big deal? Let the Guild do their own thing, after all it's a "GUILD THING" and everyone has to take care of his own "THING".

biggrin.gif

------------------
old pete

Oh Well,
I thought Michael was a gentleman. Another myth dies. The next time he throws phrases around about gutless old hens being on this forum, he should do it face to face.He just might find that some of the hens are fighting roosters.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

I believe you gentlemen have had enough fun at Micheal`s, and the Guild`s expense.Have you considered doing something constructive, perhaps making a folder of some origionality? Get a life and leave Mike and the GUILD alone.

I think sean is maybe kinda right. While I, personally, do not consider Mr. Walker the inventor of the liner lock, I do think he deserves credit for the contributions he made to the folding-knife-world.

And I just got to handle a couple of his knives at the NCCA show. Whatever anyone says about him, you gotta like those knives
smile.gif
. I can certainly see why one was selling for $1750 and the other for $2500
smile.gif
. Very sweet, indeed (too bad I couldn't afford one at the moment; maybe in a few years...).

--JB

------------------
e_utopia@hotmail.com

Sean King
Did you read the post at the opening of this thread?
You might want to learn how this forun works. Since the topic was brought up it is fair game to discuss it.
That's what is done here knives and issues realted to knives are discussed.
Why this issue seems so important to everybody i don't understand but it's probably one of them issues that's going to be around for a long time.

Both Ron Lake and Michael Walker make "AWESOME" custom knives. If you've ever handled one of Walker's remarkable pieces of work, I think you would agree. He has invented and constructed so many different locking mechanisms, that the knives will really blow you away. It's just too bad that they are too exclusive and expensive to own for most people. As for production knives with the Walker name stamped on them, the knives made by Klozli are really well made, and the Schrade/Walker/Lake collaboration is a great knife with an innovative modification of the Linerlock. I can understand people and makers being angry for anyone who wants to charge royalties for anything, but you should be able to understand the otherside as well. If you felt you "invented" something and felt that you had certain rights to royalties, wouldn't you do the same to protect your rights?

[This message has been edited by DrRMJ (edited 08-16-2000).]

O.K. guys, I think a few words of clarification are in order here on two points.
1) Walker's creation of the liner lock was a unique and never before made invention because of these facts:
-the original electrician's knife had 2 blades, a jack-knife cutting blade and a screwdriver pointed blade.
- the jack-knife blade was held open with a strong back spring,(also called a slip joint), and was not "locked" in the open position just as your old Boy Scout or Swiss Army knives are not locked open. There was little need for a "lock" on this blade as it was secure as long as pressure was applied to the cutting edge, forcing the blade upward against the backspring.
- the screwdriver blade, however,though also held in place by a strong back spring, was used by applying force against the POINT of the blade and twisting the knife so as to tighten or loosen a screw. This created the danger of the blade folding closed onto the fingers when hard pressure was applied against a tight screw.
- to avoid the accidental folding of the screwdriver blade, a leaf of the brass liner was configured to set against the bottom of the blade and prevent its closure if the slip joint should fail. It was not designed or intended to LOCK the screwdriver blade in the open position ( they were usually pretty loose). The main hold-open feature was still the strong backspring.
- Walker's genius was to eliminate the backspring entirely, add a stop pin to align the blade in the open position and use a strong leaf spring against a bevel on the back of the blade tang to lock the blade against the stop pin.
-additionally, Walker added a ball bearing detente to hold the blade in the closed position using the same spring force from the liner.
-None of these innovations had ever been done before by anyone so therefore I wrote in my book that he is the true inventor of this type of lock. Just because he could not afford to patent this creation does not mean he did not invent it.
-I will continue to support Michael's thesis until someone shows me a knife, made before his, with the features I describe above. So far, no one has.
2) Michael was not aware that this subject would be brought up at the Guild show. It was done without his approval, knowledge or blessing, and I dare say, as a friend of his for many years, that he suffered a bout of embarrassment upon hearing of it.
My best to you all, Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back