Michael Walker response

Status
Not open for further replies.
tongue.gif

-AR

[This message has been edited by Jackyl (edited 08-16-2000).]

I have only met Michael once and we talked for close to an hour at the '99 Shot Show.

All I can say is that I met a fine and humble person who makes fantastic knives and who is very creative in several genres as far as design and mechanics.

I get the feeling some folks think he is on some type of ego trip, but that thought sure does not seem to go together with the Mr. Walker that took over 45 min of his time to talk to me about collecting and making knives.

My bottom line on this is that his ideas and designs have contributed greatly in several knife related areas (custom and production). Recognizing the above fact is a good thing.

------------------
" I am continually reminded of the rewards of dealing with custom knife makers and the custom knife community." Jeff J.

Originally posted by Gus Kalanzis:
My bottom line on this is that his ideas and designs have contributed greatly in several knife related areas (custom and production). Recognizing the above fact is a good thing.

If that is indeed what was asked for at the Guild meeting, then I doubt sincerely that we'd be having this much controversy.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

[This message has been edited by Senator (edited 08-16-2000).]

I'm with Gus and Bob T, I've had the chance to talk to Michael Walker a few times at shows, and he is a gentleman. I think it's unfortunate that he feels the need to defend himself in a situation he didn't start. His contribution to knife making is undisputed, and his knives are some of the finest made, and in great demand. Does he deserve recognition for what he's done? Yes. Can he go back in collect on an idea that wasn't patented? No, and I don't believe he ever asked for that himself. Let's not put words in his mouth. Does he have the right to be angry over what has been said since the Guild meeting? You bet, and I think he has handled himself better than most of us would in the same situation. This hasn't tarnished my opinion of him or his work, let's not tarnish our own in the process.

For the record,maybe Mike didn`t invent the little brass safety,but he certainly invented the linerlock[tm] folder as we know it today.He came up with the idea,he made the knife,and folding knives were forever changed.A patent is just a piece of paper,it`s the concept and the execution that matter.Mike`s knives made a clean break from the old school and opened the door for a lot of us makers.You end users,I dare say have also benefited from this new technology.In my book that`s inventing at it`s finest and if the KG wants to honor him, hey ,that`s our business.If you would like to vote on this ,feel free to apply for membership in our Guild,all qualified craftsmen are welcome.Thank you, Bill

Mr. Terzuola, thanks for your clarification post. I think many people should really read through your post - and those of M.Walker and some of the ones posted earlier in other threads. To me it actually seems strange how somebody can even claim that the lock Walker invented would somehow be the same as the one on the electrician's knife. I've never seen that knife, but I've now heard many descriptions about it, and they all are the same. None of them sounds like a liner lock.

Hugo.

Welcome to the forums, Bill!! Great to see you on here.

...now back to our regularly scheduled programming
smile.gif

------------------
AKTI Member # A000005
NC Knife Knuts Member
Living life "on the edge"

Welcome Bill glad to have you and your insight on the forums!

------------------
" I am continually reminded of the rewards of dealing with custom knife makers and the custom knife community." Jeff J.

Originally posted byMichael Walker:
The modern LINERLOCK was INVENTED by Michael Walker in 1981 and aside from using a leaf spring, bears no resemblance to the electrician`s knife. Basically what Michael did was to create a true locking system which did not need a back spring to hold the blade open. The leaf spring in the old design was nothing more than a safety device for the screwdriver blade.

I thought it might be helpful to see a picture of the knife mentioned above. This was my farthers, and has to be over thirty years old.

View

Jackyl - I think TomW said it best. My emphasis added.

You might want to learn how this forun works. Since the topic was brought up it is fair game to discuss it.
That's what is done here knives and issues realted to knives are discussed.

------------------
Kelly
My Custom Knife Collection
AKTI Member #A000289

Deo Vindice

Guys - Say what you want to say about the subject. It would be wise to state your opinion based on facts rather than emotions.

Cutting eachother in this thread needs to stop now.

Please keep your comments centered on the topic and on Custom knives. If you want to talk about factory collaborations take it to the appropriate forum. If you wish to rip eachother, take it to W&C or email where it belongs.

Jackyl, CPR I would appreciate it if you edited your previous posts accordingly.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Gus Kalanzis (edited 08-18-2000).]

It must be an election year.

[This message has been edited by CPR (edited 08-18-2000).]

Jackyl,
I have been around since before the first time you were thrown off this forum. You still lack the maturity to weigh in fully on matters that involve criticizing persons on this forum who have been out there in the real world. Chris has earned his place here and deserves his full due as a custom purchaser. Do not show off your teenage immaturity and expect to gain any points with the rest of us. If you trash Chris, you trash the rest of us NC knife knuts. Don't write checks your chicken a$$ can't cash.
David

------------------
AKTI# A000150
NC Custom Knifemakers Guild member
NC Knife Knuts member

Many of you guys don't know nearly as much as you think you do. That's OK, I'll play the teenage idiot, so long as it makes you feel better about yourself. Apparently you didn't read the original posts, so don't comment. SOB, let it go...I'm basically just a lurker already. No point replying to many of these idiotic threads anyway...why reply if you can't offer anything positive?

-AR

[This message has been edited by Jackyl (edited 08-22-2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back