Michigan Vs. Jersey Pattern

Sorry David I do not know what kind of axe that is, the photo is not mine. Beautiful though isn't it!

Reactions: A17
Ok, thanks. We'll go with that for now. Just looking at that axe, I think it would weigh over 4 lbs. and be a great splitting ax. DM

Reactions: A17
Oh right, apparently the handle is sound with no wiggle but it didn't look like a great hang to me with the gaps as the bottom of the eye. Also the top of the eye is looking a bit weathered. I was thinking a new handle well hung would really make this girl shine. Doesn't have to happen immediately of course but did plan on putting it on the to do list. I am however a novice so perhaps the 'use it until it breaks. replace it.' mindset is most appropriate here.

Unless you have access to way nicer new handles than we do in the US, I'd keep that handle. I wouldn't be worried about some tiny gaps here and there as long as the head stays put when you use it. If you really hate the hang, you can rehang on that same handle. Though, you should definitely do whatever makes you happy with your axe.

Unless you have access to way nicer new handles than we do in the US, I'd keep that handle. I wouldn't be worried about some tiny gaps here and there as long as the head stays put when you use it. If you really hate the hang, you can rehang on that same handle. Though, you should definitely do whatever makes you happy with your axe.

Thanks mate. The handles in NZ are often to be said among us axemen the unwanted/low quality ones the US market wouldn't accept. They truly are atrocious. I get my handles from a carpenter using native nz hard beech. Haven't had any issues or snaps so far. I see there are many us online retailers that ship lovely handles and a big variety. One day I think I will order 10-15 and get them shipped over to me.

Back