• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Microtech is riping-off Mikov

http://microtechknives.com/osscobra.html
DSC_1651.jpg

DSC_1657.jpg

And original Mikov knives:

241nr1u700.jpg

241nh1u700.jpg

241np1ul700.jpg

autosall_text_sm.jpg

That is pretty pathetic, isn't it?

Handle, yes, definitely a copy.

Blade shape/s not even close.

Would I buy one? Probably.

Blade profile is obvious copy IMO....why should this be a surprise....just another day in the workings of MT....there are also pics floating around of a knife they made that closely resembles the profiles of some other well known makers.

I don't see what the big deal is here so long as they're improving the original design, which knowing microtech they have...

What's the history behind this design? I recall someone mentioning Huburtus and Hen & Rooster?

I don't know about the exact handle shape but lever release autos and knives with similar frames are common. When I asked Tony about it at the USN show, he told me he considered it just another traditional European auto style. Mikov has no special claim on the design.

Mikov has no special claim on the design.

That is right but show me another knife that looks like that.

The knife has been in production for about 20 + years. The prototype of the knife looked very much like any other Italian Stylleto knife but the production piece was quite different. The blade was wider, the lever worked the other way, the grind on first models was not dagger - it looked exactly like this:

np4proto.jpg

Unlike on the italian knives - the firing spring was not part of the backspring and could be easily replaced. The grind then changed to dagger, the lever was slightly changed and more materials was used. 10 years ago they had 4 models, now there is over 100 different combinations.

There was also an attemt to clone Mikov - so called Dualspeed auto was introduced by knifeshop.com but I do not think it was really successful model.

Also as far as I know there is no other production knife that would look as similar as the MT Cobra. I do like the knife and I am sure it will be well done but still think they went too far this time.

David

i own a mikov, buffalo horn handles. this is an outrage, but i can tell you this, they cant match the price point of a mikov, i can already tell this copy will be overpriced.

Blade profile is obvious copy IMO....why should this be a surprise....just another day in the workings of MT....there are also pics floating around of a knife they made that closely resembles the profiles of some other well known makers.

I would send you rep if I could :rolleyes:

Back