• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Mid-tech 3.3" liner lock. S35VN $199 Canadian

33709528171_1048697776.jpg

Here is the 3.3" flipper we introduced to our lineup in november. We call it the “skaha”. It sports a CPM S35VN blade and G10 scales with our version of a "liner lock". Instead of a full liner, we insert a lockbar into the G10 handle. This cuts down significantly on weight but functions just like a traditional liner lock, and looks pretty sleek too. The only part of this knife we aren't making completely ourselves (besides small hardware), is the pocket clip.

We CNC mill the blades and scales. After milling, the blades go through many hand finishing steps before and after heat treat. You will notice we leave the milling lines on the bevels. Each step is only .001”. We like the “CNC” finish for it’s unique look. It doesn't affect performance but it does reduce cost to both us and our customers. Below are specs and photos! For additional info, photos, or to purchase a knife visit the website or PM me!

We’ve had trouble keeping up with demand on these but we’re finally getting into a rhythm with the production of this knife. We have a few in stock at the moment!

website price is $199 Canadian or approximately $152 USD after the conversion. Shipping will be added on top of this for all customers and Canadians will have to pay tax (varies depending on province).

If you are in the US and prefer sending a paypal payment instead of ordering from the website, the cost is $170 USD shipped CONUS. PM me to arrange specifics.

blade: cpm s35vn @59-61 HRC
scales: G10 (black, red, purple, tan, dayglo yellow, hunter, orange or OD green)
lock bar: spring tempered s35vn @~47 HRC
bearings, stop pin, washers: 440C @ 59-60 HRC
pocket clip: hardened 420 stainless
pivot pin: hardened 416 stainless
all other hardware: 18-8 stainless
blade length: 3.3" (8.38cm)
closed length: 4.4" (11.18cm)
open length: 7.75" (19.7cm)
blade thickness at pivot: .1" (2.5mm)
total weight: 3.1 oz (90g)
edge angle: 25° inclusive

pocket clip is oriented for tip up carry and is not re-positionable.

31033411866_764c7b26bc.jpg
31033405326_6bc85ec28d.jpg
31069175995_7c066b6ddf.jpg
31069165665_c34383b299.jpg
30954983511_d915d8f2ed.jpg
33838794125_c769abc8fa_z.jpg
33454277650_177506333b.jpg
33709527031_f48e50428c_z.jpg

Here is a rough quick video of the knife from different angles, to give you a better idea of the action and so on. When we have more time we'll do a better vid!

[youtube]9kIbYZuhV5E[/youtube]

questions and comments welcome!

Cheers,
Mike & John

Would it be possible for the scales to be made out of other similar materials such as micarta?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I see that the bearings run on little washers that separate them from directly rolling against the G10 "scales." The reason I bring this up is because Spyderco has done a similar design on their Advocate, Mantra, and Domino models and has had a problem with the bearings forming a race in the supporting washer. Some examples have even seen the bearings chew right through these washers all the way to the G10. I believe the supporting washers they used were too thin. I am just wondering if this will be a problem for this knife as well.

Looks super at an unbelievable price !!! I'm wishing you continued success !!!
Frank Niro

Would it be possible for the scales to be made out of other similar materials such as micarta?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

G10 is significantly stronger than micarta or any other composite I know of, besides carbon fiber. I would be somewhat hesitant to offer it in micarta for that reason alone. That said, I'm sure we could make a functional version with micarta handles, the question is how well it will it stand up to use over the years. We will probably do some experiments at some point, it just isn't a high priority right now!

I see that the bearings run on little washers that separate them from directly rolling against the G10 "scales." The reason I bring this up is because Spyderco has done a similar design on their Advocate, Mantra, and Domino models and has had a problem with the bearings forming a race in the supporting washer. Some examples have even seen the bearings chew right through these washers all the way to the G10. I believe the supporting washers they used were too thin. I am just wondering if this will be a problem for this knife as well.

Interesting point, I hadn't heard of that issue with the spydercos. I doubt it will be an issue in our case though! The washers we use are quite thick (.02") and are 440C @59-60 HRC. Sounds to me like spyderco used a softer material like 416.

North Arm Knives, please go to http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/profile.php?do=editusergroups and select your Knifemaker membership, to update your displayed title and color.

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed! Our membership had expired a while back (I think the renewal reminder email went into my spam folder), anyway, the user group must've gotten switched automatically and I never updated it after renewing. Thanks for the reminder!
cheers,
mike

I placed an order yesterday. I can't wait to give the knife a try. One thing I am curious about would be the fit and finish. Looks interesting to say the least and at a reasonable price. It's nice to add a bit of diversity into my rotation.

Last edited:
Do you have a storefont or spot to check these over hands on? I'm in Burnaby a couple times a year and I'd definately sidetrack to get one of these but as a rule I always handle stuff first to be belt and suspenders sure.

It's really looking awesome in the photos and details for sure!

I would be interested in you offered a stonewash finish. Not a fan of mirror polished knives.

I saw these somewhere else and put it on my mental list of "knives to buy eventually." Sorry that point is not right now but they are nice looking folders and I hope to have one at some point. The tan/bone one is particularly nice-looking.

Nice folder but just ordered a Lynx fixed blade hunter. Looks like a great edc, the Lynx that is, folder too for that matter. thanks and keepem sharp

I have one of thes and have to say that fit and finish is great! Very light weight and thin slicer blade. Steps on the blade don't allow stuff to stick. Perfect style blade for EDC. Great job on these and nice price point for what you are offering.

I placed an order yesterday. I can't wait to give the knife a try. One thing I am curious about would be the fit and finish. Looks interesting to say the least and at a reasonable price. It's nice to add a bit of diversity into my rotation.

Thanks! We look forward to hearing your thoughts on fit and finish. We always appreciate feedback!

Do you have a storefont or spot to check these over hands on? I'm in Burnaby a couple times a year and I'd definately sidetrack to get one of these but as a rule I always handle stuff first to be belt and suspenders sure.

It's really looking awesome in the photos and details for sure!

We don't have a dedicated retail store but you're welcome to stop by the shop and handle the knives! We have drop-ins pretty frequently. Best to give us a bit of notice before you drop by if possible. Looking forward to you visit, whenever you make it by!

I saw these somewhere else and put it on my mental list of "knives to buy eventually." Sorry that point is not right now but they are nice looking folders and I hope to have one at some point. The tan/bone one is particularly nice-looking.

Thanks! Don't worry, we plan to be around for a while ;)

I would be interested in you offered a stonewash finish. Not a fan of mirror polished knives.

This finish actually hides wear quite well, surprisingly. Not sure if it is because of the milling lines or maybe because it isn't a full mirror polish. Stonewashed is one we may look into into in the future. We have some process improvement type stuff planned for the next few months and we may look at tumbling as part of the process.

Back