mighty morphin' apogee

Hey now...I said, "Lanyard HOLE," not lanyard.
wink.gif
...but I do like that cf Apogee w/o lanyard hole.
biggrin.gif

-AR

------------------
- AKTI Member ID# A000322

BTW Mark, I think yours would look GREAT with nugget work.
wink.gif
My small had nugget work...and I wondered how I could live without it after I got it. I wonder what an Apogee "slick" would look like with nugget work...hmmmmm.
wink.gif

-AR

------------------

Jackyl, funny you should mention that ... but Darrel wanted to do the nugget work on mine for me, but nugget only looks good to me if it's done in gold, and I don't care for gold color on a knife at all. I wanted to keep mine only to the blues and purples in color with all silver fittings. Just my tastes! Actually, the pic of mine doesn't do it justice at all. If you hold it up to natural light on an angle, 75% of the colors you see are purple with bright blue edges around it. My mouth waters every time I look at it in the natural light. Sure wish I could capture that with a pic, scanner is all I have!

I find myself just gazing at more than using it so far!
smile.gif

AKTI.jpg

knife.jpg

------------------
" Knife Collectors Are Sharp People - Most of the time that is! "

I know what you mean man...that's how my small was. I'm sure I'm picturing it right.
wink.gif
Why two? One to keep, and one to use? ...or did you get the set to keep as collectors? It seems that you only proudly display 19S, where's 20S?
wink.gif
Locked up somewhere safely hidden from fingerprints.
wink.gif
Wish I had two...a user, and a keeper. I think I'd get one similar to yours for the user with the cross hatches and all.

-AR

------------------

Jackyl,
Your wish is my command:

View
smile.gif

-Greg (the "Apogenie")

[This message has been edited by grnamin (edited 05-11-2000).]

Hahahaha...awesome man...I think I'd have him run a line like that right on through the center of the handle. Man, that really contrasts nicely. Too bad you can't copy that and paste it to your actual Apogee.
wink.gif

-AR

------------------

Knifeart.com had an Illusion Release Apogee with the nugget surface, but without the gold finish. Man, it was nice! The surface extended up to the beginning of the knifeart.com exclusive grooving design. My mouth just dropped open when I first saw the picture. Too bad it isn't there anymore.

-Greg

Way cool Greg! Love that pic! More Apogee in my blood now!
smile.gif

Jackyl, yeap got two. One to put away and one to use! #19S is the one I'm using, #20S is tucked away safely from fingers
biggrin.gif
Everyone knows me by now, I always have to buy more than one at a time. Wish I didn't have to, but that's me!

There is no way I could have ever brought myself around to using my XL Apogee if I only had one, heck it's hard enough trying to use the 19S and knowing I still have a untouched one put away as well! Such a nice knife, I know I'm going to hate myself when I put that first scratch on it!
redface.gif
At least I will know that I still will have a unscratched one though! I'll tell ya, that was a real killer to my wallet to buy a pair of these, but after getting them, they are worth it baby!

I don't mind being at the POOR FARM now!
frown.gif

Mark
AKTI Member #A000003
smile.gif

That's the good thing about the Apogee, AND Darrel...he encourages you to USE THE HELL OUTTA IT, then send it back, and he'll make it new again for only $25. ...you have a spare to hold you over till it gets back about 7 days later, so no excuses.
wink.gif

-AR

------------------

Okay Jackyl, you do have the cutting edge!
wink.gif

So, how many did you say you are getting this time around?
biggrin.gif
Keeping DDR busy is our job, right?!
smile.gif

Mark
AKTI Member #A000003

------------------

Hahaha...just messin' with ya man.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
I only ordered the one.
frown.gif
I can't wait for the EDC guys...I considered ordering one, but I have to see it first. What clip was decided on anyway?

-AR

------------------

Hey Greg, I was kinda concerned about the smooth handles being more prone to scratches and wear, or at least would show up worse than the satin finished cross-hatch handles. What is your opinion on this, can you help ease my mind?
smile.gif
I had also considered the carbon fober Apogee...but I want the integral lock. I'm torn between yours, and Mark's. My last was a cross-hatched with nugget work. Very nice...maybe a bead blasted cross hatching? I had also considered something similar to yours, but with very shallow cross hatching, but the edges wouldn't be rounded because the tooling requires the beveled edges, and I think it's the roundedness that I like most.
smile.gif

-AR

------------------

Jackyl,
The handle will show scratches more readily than the polished and anodized version. I like the scratches, though, because they give my Apogee more character, I think. Maybe the nuggetized finish with or without the gold will be more to your liking. Hmmm. I wonder if it's feasible/practical to build an Apogee with both a carbon fiber non-lock scale and a titanium lock side scale?

-Greg

Ahhh...man. I was hopin' you'd LIE to me.
wink.gif
Cross-hatches, or no cross-hatches...THAT is the question.
wink.gif

-AR

------------------

We're leap-frog posting.
biggrin.gif
How about an Apogee with a handle composed of a carbon fiber side and a titanium locking bar side? I wonder if Darrel would build one. Your suggested Apogee would look like this (hope Steve doesn't mind my doctoring his picture for illustration purposes) on one side and like this on the other side.

-Greg

Hehehe...now THAT...would be unique. I'm leaning back toward polished rather than bead blasted...with cross-hatching. I'll keep ya posted.

-AR

------------------

Let's not forget the real reason of what a knife is all about, it's blade. Haven't heard much talk about how nice DDR's blades are. Afterall, he's a BladeSmith!
wink.gif
A lot of belly and a nice recurve on those CPM-420V blades he is making now-a-days! Love the width and thickness also. Don't care too much for Damascus as a blade steel, but I must admit, DDR's Damascus blade on the Apogee looks awsum!

That's why I'm glad I waited another year to get my Apogee's, the blade man, the blade! That's what truly sold me .... The handle and lock is icing on the cake!
smile.gif

Mark
AKTI MEMBER #A000003

------------------

Mark, you hit the nail right on the head. It's the whole Apogee that really matters, not it's components. The Apogee looks awesome and performs great because of the way Darrel made it. All parts compliment each other. The deep belly recurve is my favorite blade design. My only regret in getting an Apogee was not getting twins like you did!
smile.gif

-Greg

Back