1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Military

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by Colorodo, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    CDA098C7-9691-4597-B64E-2FF058AD4A49.jpeg This Knife is obnoxious and I am loving it. I bought it on a whim off the exchange. Which blades will fit this knife? It fits my hand and pocket perfectly. The fluted Titanium really sets it off. The frame lock is also great.

Pharmagator, BITEME, sgt1372 and 3 others like this.
  2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    I have a fluted ti millie too (CQI version). It is definitely the best looking Millie in my collection just because of the fluted ti handle. In hand however it does not feel as comfortable as others that have g10 or cf/ti scales because the fluted ti scales are not chamfered. I believe the handle is also thinner which for some people may not feel as much hand filling as other Military models. All in all, it is still a great knife to have for Military fans.

Pharmagator likes this.
  3. BladeScout

BladeScout Basic Member Basic Member

May 16, 2010
    Beautiful knife. I have the non-fluted TI Millie and like it a lot.
    I assume other Millie blades?

4. Colorodo

May 23, 2014
    Yes.

5. MMGRenovations

MMGRenovations Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 14, 2017
    Your going to have to look for pre CQI millies. Your stop pin is screwed together, where the newer ones have the floating stop pin. Also the screws that hold the handle together are smaller than the newer ones. Hope that helps.

6. JD Spydo

JD Spydo Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2004
    I really like Ti handles on about any Spyderco model that ever had them. Titanium has much better properties for handles that does stainless or aircraft aluminum IMO.

However with the C-36 Military model I've had better results with EDC carry using G-10 or CF handles. For most practical uses I tend to like G-10 about better than anything else currently available. I've wondered at times what the Military model would be like with one of the vintage Micarta handles? My M390 Military has been my main EDC for over 3 years now and I don't see myself changing anytime soon unless something really special with a new supersteel would come along.

Pharmagator likes this.
  7. 5-by-5

5-by-5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2016
    I don't know why my first Military was a Fluted Ti. I was out of knives for 10 years or so. Alot of things changed while I wasn't paying attention.
    Needless to say having bought the Fluted Ti spoiled me forever! In fact my brain exploded with concerns of fake Milis' when I got my first G10 off the Bay. I spent a week researching the partial liners to figure out why it felt so different to my Fluted Ti. LOL
    I still think it's the best Mili hands down. However with a blade swap. I have two. The first is a BB S90V. The second is a Cruwear swap.

[​IMG]

Pharmagator and Sergeua like this.
  8. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    I love the fluted military, but I usually end up carrying the ti/cf with s90v. The weight is pretty close, much lighter than the full non-fluted ti version. Regardless of which blade or handles(even the all g-10 handles)the military is probably the most perfect edc knife in my collection. So much so, I almost always carry 2 of them.
    Once I tried the military, most of my spydies (and ZT’s) have ended up staying in a case or drawer.

Chalet, Pharmagator and Shooter4321 like this.
  9. Shooter4321

Shooter4321

Jul 26, 2014
    I am right there with you...easily my favorite knife. Rex 45 has become my favorite....What a great steel and heat treat..

Pharmagator likes this.
  10. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    I don't think I'm headed the wrong way but my Ti/CF is CTS 204P.
    I can't help swappin'

Pharmagator likes this.
  11. Yonose

Yonose

Jul 10, 2017
    So your s90v blade has green g-10 handle? I hadn’t thought of it, great idea.

12. 5-by-5

Oct 13, 2016
    It's all a great idea. However someone else wanted my scales.
    I have Fluted Ti S90V and Cruwear. Ti/CF CTS 204P. Jade M4. Digicam S90V partially serrated.

Love them all.

Pharmagator likes this.
  13. anycal

anycal

Jan 11, 2017
    The R.I.L. is my favorite. Thinking about swapping REX onto it

My three,

[​IMG]

14. DNAIrradiator

DNAIrradiator Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

orangejoe35, dtoad, skyhorse and 5 others like this.
  15. Riz!

Riz!

May 5, 2014
    Switching that black M4 into that handle and all the hardware just jooks amazing

16. amateur blacksmith

amateur blacksmith

May 19, 2018
    It's not my most carried but my fluted military is my favorite. If I could only keep 1, this would likely be it.
    It looks amazing and feels great in hand. Glad I got 2

Mrgauth, Yonose and Pharmagator like this.
  17. Pharmagator

Pharmagator Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2010
    I can't get the G-10 Millie out of my pocket... It knocks all other knives back into the drawer...

Yonose and Riz! like this.
  18. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    The Military is my favorite!

TX180SX and Yonose like this.
  19. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I own 4 Militaries, all G10 liner lock versions (one 440V, one S110V and two S30V). It's my all-time favorite 4"-bladed folder, followed by the Police.

My favorite Militaries are my current basic S30V ones. The Military is simply a pleasure to use.

Jim

Chalet and skyhorse like this.
  20. Colorodo

May 23, 2014
    3E0AE7BD-EF62-481D-8549-160D61522F34.jpeg Well I sold the fluted Ti and regretted it. This came up on the exchange. It was anodized blue, had a stripped screw on the backspacer and lock rock. I completely disassembled it and dipped it Whink. I used a respirated, gloves, eye protection and a jar to put the Whink in for future use. I did it outside for ventilation. I used Flitz to polish parts including the washers. Reassembled and ordered standoffs to replace the backspacer. No lock rock and a centered blade. This one will be my weekend edc along with a Delica.

Pharmagator likes this.