Mini Griptilian - Equivalent to Mini griptilian but better handle scales?

Sorry guys if this has been covered, but I am in the market for a mini griptilian, but I'm not into the handle scales. I know there are customs out there, but I don't want to pay more for custom scales than I did for the knife. Are there better Benchmade mini options I should consider?

I'm trying to keep the knife less than 4 inches closed.

Mini barrage? Mini Bone collector? Mini Presidio?
They all the AXIS®-Assist Locking Mechanism, are they all basically the same. Is it all about blade shape preference?

Go easy on me guys, this will be my first Bench made beyond a 51.

The barrage is an Axis Assist(spring loaded) folder and has valox scales. The other two you mentioned are manual Axis(no spring) and are interchangeable. If they were cars they would be built from the same chassis, like a Escalade and a Tahoe. I prefer the mini bone due to the G!0.... I have Bone collector handles with presidio blades, I really like that combo, since I dislike the presidios stock aluminum scales.

Love Bone collector handles with presidio blade. Now can I get that combo without the price of both knives? I prefer the thumb studs, but I definitely like the handles on the bone collector.

I'm not stuck on the Axis-assist, but that seemed to be the common element between the griptilian and the others, except I missed the barrage was assisted opening. I like the 707 sequel too, first time I saw that one, I like the aluminum handles with g-10 inlay.

Are there any performance differences between the griptilian, presedio, bone collector, and 707 sequel?

Love Bone collector handles with presidio blade. Now can I get that combo without the price of both knives? I prefer the thumb studs, but I definitely like the handles on the bone collector.

I sold the counterpart to recover most of my costs on the second knife. There is also the benchmade 470 which is a bit smaller and the 530 which is a bit longer. The Axis-assist is the name given to only the spring loaded assisted opening benchmade Axis locks like the barrage and the 470. All the others like griptilains and presidios are not Axis-assit. They are just Axis locks.

The Bone Collector is slightly larger that the Mini-Grip.
The 707 is slightly smaller than the Mini-grip.
I find the Mini-Grip to be just right.
DSCN4251.jpg

^^^^Yes^^^^ I sold my mini-grip after buying the 707. Of course I did just pre-order the m4 mini-grip but will immediately put different scales on it.

The barrage is an Axis Assist(spring loaded) folder and has valox scales. The other two you mentioned are manual Axis(no spring) and are interchangeable. If they were cars they would be built from the same chassis, like a Escalade and a Tahoe. I prefer the mini bone due to the G!0.... I have Bone collector handles with presidio blades, I really like that combo, since I dislike the presidios stock aluminum scales.

How did you discover that the Bone Collector and Presidio were interchangeable? Now that I see it, it's obvious (and I now have a Bone Collector coming for the same swap), but it never would have occured to me that any of Benchmade's handles would swap. Thanks for pointing it out.

The mini Bone Collector has one of my favorite handles on any folder
DSC01248.jpg

How did you discover that the Bone Collector and Presidio were interchangeable? Now that I see it, it's obvious (and I now have a Bone Collector coming for the same swap), but it never would have occured to me that any of Benchmade's handles would swap. Thanks for pointing it out.

I can't really remember, most likely someone on the Benchmade forums pointed it out, once you realize the shape of the scales/liners are identical, you can put two and two together.

Another vote for the 707. It feels like a slimmed down Mini Grip.

The 707 Sequel all the way. It has a slightly longer blade than the Mini Grips and the blade is a high flat grind, better for slicing than the sabre grind of the 556 Mini Grip. Let me know if you want one, I have several.:)

I like my 707.
But, I'd like it even more if it came in one of the super steels (M4 or M390).
Do you have one of those? ;)

DSCN6023_zps2a16c021.jpg

The 707 is the closest that has something other than Norel GTX. However, the Mini-Grip has a very useful blade and Cuscadi and Wilkins both make excellent replacement scales for these knives (and many more). Do not let the grips scare you away. But, the 707 is sweeeeeet and thin. It cuts well and does everything I need a knife to do. There are videos of people actually using this knife to cut veggies and cook dinner.

Back