Minimalist Woodland Feast

On Saturday, I headed off to the woods yet again with my brother.
As you can see, we barely brought anything at all with us... ;)

1Jt4et0.jpg

iTA8Wx1.jpg

Once at the site, we found the fire-pit full from previous use by others who had been there. They also seemed to have drunkenly fallen into the shelter supports, throwing it all off.
We cleaned up the pit, and set the supports back to being upright.

Here, you see fire beginnings:

eGjg2fb.jpg

I got a Medford Praetorian a few months back, so I decided to see how it did with "woodsy" tasks. Here it is, creating a steak stick:

rVgtZWY.jpg

svbQzXF.jpg

6vDs0qN.jpg

ntQ90NB.jpg

ifvzk7M.jpg

TrR6Jtj.jpg

FX2dHb7.jpg

qGb6WRT.jpg

TQLUcvn.jpg

OdlMk1J.jpg

AzRQSuN.jpg

Seems to have done okay. :thumbsup:

Here's my brother's RD-9...you can see that he totally babies it! :D

LgPIJNf.jpg

yhsxhsK.jpg

The water starts boiling...but for what???

bOsjJdH.jpg

The rain started, so I busted out my tarp, the best one Dollarama had to offer:

RBUkySe.jpg

7O2VKCe.jpg

The water is now ready for the greatest treat the woods has to offer...

RL6luKY.jpg

Last edited:
The wild Woods Lobster!!!

Hy2fdPt.jpg

I did battle with it, parrying the mighty claws.
However it managed to grab the tip of my knife:

WImdOmt.jpg

IWCUZJS.jpg

Hah! Fooled you, lobster. It was my plan all along to distract you, allowing me to grab you by the midsection:

1Ew2A7E.jpg

Into the pot:

8AdYn4R.jpg

9KkCaum.jpg

The Praetorian poses, stuck into the stump I chopped it into on the way to the pot (needed a free hand to grab the lid:

4xVGTyH.jpg

My brother uses his short Ka-Bar to make a sausage skewer.
He then attaches it to a longer stick with reusable zip ties to get the length to stay back from the fire when it gets too hot:

vcuYydZ.jpg

pef8Fpv.jpg

Condor Golok siting!

nv0aSlQ.jpg

Lobster is looking good. :)

Pfy7Im6.jpg

KpsHniJ.jpg

Site from a short distance away:

2MhR0ti.jpg

Steak is mounted in the stick, and getting cooked:

0RZgjaJ.jpg

3rqPHjW.jpg

Meat stick!!!

VSDrNO0.jpg

4dI1BHb.jpg

Three sausages getting the finishing touches...the first two have already been eaten:

gSywP5N.jpg

Late night fire dying down:

9xNw3R1.jpg

And there you have it.
Surprisingly, we managed to survive, despite the meagre rations we had to subsist upon, and the tiny bits of gear we had with us. :D

Last edited:
Awesome. Very much enjoy your posts and pics. I admire your brother's taste in woodland cutlery as I have a well used Gingrich original RD-7. It rides with me every day.

lobster while camping. man o man that is doing it right.

heck of a weekend there. enjoyed it. thanks for sharing.

Very cool. I am surprised how effortless you made cutting that stick with the Praetorian look. I thought that knife would be too obtuse to be of any real use. Do you keep that sucker ridiculously sharp or what?

As usual Stabby, awesome pics and write up brother!!
Surprised you came upon a woodland crawfish that size!! You got lucky he didn't pull that blade out of your hand! They are deadly knife fighters!!
Thanks for sharing a great trip into the woods with us my friend! Always enjoy these threads!
Joe

All now certified "survival" knives, because you survived, with those knives.

Always fun roughing it, and tangling with the rare wild woods lobsters

Awesome. Very much enjoy your posts and pics. I admire your brother's taste in woodland cutlery as I have a well used Gingrich original RD-7. It rides with me every day.

His RD-9 is an original Gingrich as well. :)

lobster while camping. man o man that is doing it right.

heck of a weekend there. enjoyed it. thanks for sharing.

It felt like doing it right. :thumbsup:

Very cool. I am surprised how effortless you made cutting that stick with the Praetorian look. I thought that knife would be too obtuse to be of any real use. Do you keep that sucker ridiculously sharp or what?

It actually came very sharp and not too thick behind the edge; the older Praetorians apparently were thicker behind the edge.
The width of the blade made getting the insides of the stick splinter-free more challenging, though; harder to get the correct angle of approach in an enclosed space.

As usual Stabby, awesome pics and write up brother!!
Surprised you came upon a woodland crawfish that size!! You got lucky he didn't pull that blade out of your hand! They are deadly knife fighters!!
Thanks for sharing a great trip into the woods with us my friend! Always enjoy these threads!

Joe

It was a closely fought battle. ;)

Nice trip, thanks for taking us along.
Did you forget the beer?

It does seem like the beer was missing, now that I think about it. :D

All now certified "survival" knives, because you survived, with those knives.

Always fun roughing it, and tangling with the rare wild woods lobsters

That's right, they are now, aren't they? :cool:

Always love your posts, stabman. Between the dangerous wild beast and the meager rations, it looks like you were lucky to make it out alive! Don't take so many chances. Next time you need to play it safe and bring some emergency caviar and truffles. :)

They are indeed...

I once survived a trip to the gas station with nothing more then the SAK classic on my car keys....

SAK Classic = survival knife ☺

That's a pretty harrowing tale! :eek:

Always love your posts, stabman. Between the dangerous wild beast and the meager rations, it looks like you were lucky to make it out alive! Don't take so many chances. Next time you need to play it safe and bring some emergency caviar and truffles. :)

Indeed.
Safety first. :D

You know Greg just voided your warranty for batoning :rolleyes: It looks like you guys had a great time.

You know Greg just voided your warranty for batoning :rolleyes: It looks like you guys had a great time.

That's fine...I voided it by using tools to tighten the body screws that came a bit loose. :D
I also used it to pry a bit; my brother was cutting a deeper "V" into the sawing stump, and I used the Praetorian to pry chunks out as he took a rest to get more sawing energy.

So, warranty might be triple-voided by now, maybe more. :thumbsup:

Back