Minor League Baseball

bayouace

Gold Member
The MLB 2023 Season starts today, and the Minors aren't far behind. The Minors are where players bust it to make The Show. I've been to a modest 12 minor league parks for a game, or a few. My favorite is McCormick Field for an Asheville Tourists game. Anyone else have a favorite?

Memphis may be the one I like best for where I’ve been.

North Little Rock is nice, Las Vegas is much better now than the old dump in N. Las Vegas (it’s out near Red Rock now). Albuquerque is fine.

Used to like going to Pawtucket…err, nevermind. Want to go to Greenville, SC.

The Tacoma Rainiers are in Tacoma WA. They are the up and coming wannabe Seattle Mariners.

We go to several games a year. The Stadium is great, parking is easy, the kids are busting their asses on the field every play, food and drink is affordable...

What a great baseball experience. Give me a minor league game any day of the week.

I can't wait! I hope to get to a few games this season :)
gGeXpAB.jpg

The Tacoma Rainiers are in Tacoma WA. They are the up and coming wannabe Seattle Mariners.

We go to several games a year. The Stadium is great, parking is easy, the kids are busting their asses on the field every play, food and drink is affordable...

What a great baseball experience. Give me a minor league game any day of the week.
Same here. We could walk to the stadium if we had to. Got to see Tim Lincecum try his comeback there a few years ago. Also saw a Felix rehab start there.

My favorite Minor League stadium is Principal Park in Des Moines - it seemed like a mini version of the Texas Rangers' stadium. We were there in 1995, fairly soon after it opened.

Other personal favorites were Mile High Stadium when the Denver Bears played there, and watching the Phoenix Firebirds play back in the 1980's in Phoenix Municipal Stadium.

I haven't gone to see a game in San Francisco (SF) or Oakland for years. I only go to minor league parks to watch baseball now.

There are 4 minor league teams w/in a 100 mile radius of SF:

Sacramento Rivercats (SF - AAA)
Stockton Ports (Oakland - A)
Modesto Nuts (Seattle- A)
San Jose Giants (SF -A)

My favorite park is in Modesto.

Planning go there to watch the San Jose Giants vs The Nuts (love that name) this coming 4/16. :)

Last edited:
I can easily get to the Biloxi Shuckers (Brewers) and Mississippi Braves (Braves) in Pearl.

Great thread - big thanks to the West Coast comments. I've been to Seattle Mariners (beautiful park) but never attended minor ball on the west coast. Based on the stadiums posted I will endorse the gent who named the Smokies [my mom is from East Tennessee and as a child I went to Knoxville Smokies when the stadium was in a 'downtown' location and a Blue Jays affiliate - the new stadium is right off 40/81 in the Mountains and beautiful]

For you folks in the south - Montgomery is a beautiful and historic stadium, Jax Suns is meh, and Round Rock in Texas is a good stadium which is great if you have kids because they have a variety of activities for folks who don't have the attention span for baseball.

We have the Myrtle Beach (SC) Pelicans a single A affiliate of the Cubs playing in the Carolina League.
The stadium is absolutely beautiful and a terrific atmosphere and experience. Their season opener is this week which is also the perfect time of year to go weather wise. Summer games are rough due to the heat and oppressive humidity, and tourists or first timers will suffer if they buy tickets on the third base, left field area as those are the sun seats. Dollar beer night can also be killer for those that go overboard. Going back a few years we saw a few players to go on and make the majors. We saw Jason Heyward coming up and Tom Glavine pitch a rehab game in 2008.

Great thread - big thanks to the West Coast comments. I've been to Seattle Mariners (beautiful park) but never attended minor ball on the west coast. Based on the stadiums posted I will endorse the gent who named the Smokies [my mom is from East Tennessee and as a child I went to Knoxville Smokies when the stadium was in a 'downtown' location and a Blue Jays affiliate - the new stadium is right off 40/81 in the Mountains and beautiful]

For you folks in the south - Montgomery is a beautiful and historic stadium, Jax Suns is meh, and Round Rock in Texas is a good stadium which is great if you have kids because they have a variety of activities for folks who don't have the attention span for baseball.
Drove by the Rainiers stadium plenty of times but never made it to a game. Jax is now the Jumbo Shrimp (don’t ask me why) and agree with the meh statement.

Been to see the Buscuits (Montgomery), Suns (now Jumbo Shrimp), and now am within 45 minutes of the Norfolk Tides (Orioles AAA team). We’ve been about a half dozen times, it’s a pretty good time. A while back (>10 years ago) I go to to see the Charleston (SC) Riverdogs and the Columbus (GA) Catfish.

I used go to the Pawtucket Red Sox. Loved the Paw Sox till they moved to Worcester. I was walking distance from Mc Coy stadium and could watch the games from the roof of my friends house. The Portland Sea Dogs when in Maine. The Wingnuts when in Wichita. College summer ball the Orleans Candnals when I was a kid going the the cape and the Newport Gulls when I am in RI.
IMG_0663.jpeg
One of my best friends has season tickets for the Red Sox. I was at the 2007 Mother's Day Miracle.

Also if you don't know the infield fly rule don't talk baseball or softball too me.

I used go to the Pawtucket Red Sox. Loved the Paw Sox till they moved to Worcester. I was walking distance from Mc Coy stadium and could watch the games from the roof of my friends house. The Portland Sea Dogs when in Maine. The Wingnuts when in Wichita. College summer ball the Orleans Candnals when I was a kid going the the cape and the Newport Gulls when I am in RI.
View attachment 2144362
One of my best friends has season tickets for the Red Sox. I was at the 2007 Mother's Day Miracle.

Also if you don't know the infield fly rule don't talk baseball or softball too me.
That's where you're out if you don't zip up your fly while you're in the field, right?

Last edited:
Back