Misleading ads - am I bad?

now I only play with 18' white pointer sharks in my 17' boat off Port Lincoln.. everything is so mundane and tame today mate.. nothing dangerous..don't ya reckon?? Will look at your forum mate. Hoo Roo
Geez mate, you'd think you'd leave the baby noahs alone? :D
The only big sharks I've seen up this way are hammerheads, had a couple of them circle us in a 17' swift craft. They were big enough to set off the shallow water alarm, and looked about 19 or 20'. They're always good fun to hook up on when the mackeral are off the bite too :thumbup:.
Catchyalatermate :), Orph

Was that wrong of me? :eek:

By eBay's rules, and by the "Neighbor & Girlfriend" rule, yeah, I'd say it was probably wrong, by not by our sense of right and wrong. There are a lot of people (sellers) who no longer have that sense.

Many of us take the time to research. (And sometimes in the process make new friends.) But many just believe what it says in the ad. I could quote several old proverbs that my Dad has told me over the years but will only quote one, (glad I listened). "Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see." Thanks Dad.

I have wanted to do what you just did many times but have resisted. So in a way, thank you.

A bit of a disjointed post, but that's me.

I'm sure I'm not alone in this, but I'm getting really fed up with misleading ads like this one: Schrade Walden® Muskrat with Amber Jigged Bone Knife
It now takes ages to sort out the Taylor Cutlery Knives from the good stuff...
I'll probably get pinged for it from Ebay, but I searched for misleading Schrade Walden ads and emailed some of the bidders to let them know what they were really buying :D
Was that wrong of me? :eek:

I looked at the photo - is it just me, or does the knife tang say 'USA' at the bottom? So this is a Chinese-made copy, with 'USA' stamped on the tang? How is that legal?

I have a SchradeUSA 330T Middleman, at least I think it' U.S. made, as the tang stamp says: 'SCHRADE, then 'U.S.A.', then '330T'. I assume this is a U.S. made knife? The word CHINA is nowhere on the knife.

I can't believe Stewart Taylor is bringing knives into the U.S. from China, stamped U.S.A., and trying to pass them off as U.S. made.

Help me out here. If the knife is made elsewhere, I thought it had to be marked as such?

thx - cpr

Hi cpr...
I think Micheal hit the nail on the head in his post #6
It can be a bit of a steep learning curve for those who haven't had the exposure to Schrades in the past, myself included, but you need to do your homework mate.
Larry's site (God bless him! :) ) is an excellent resource!
also look up Taylor Cutlery, it doesn't show all of the knives, but it's a good start...
For tonights homework, try and see which of these are NOT Taylor Schrades :p
Item number: 290189179542
Item number: 260191011454
Item number: 310005612392
Item number: 290187965238
Item number: 200180592803
There may be a pop quiz tomorrow :p

The last one is Chinese, the rest are "USA made". None are genuine Schrade knives.

I looked at the photo - is it just me, or does the knife tang say 'USA' at the bottom? So this is a Chinese-made copy, with 'USA' stamped on the tang? How is that legal?

I have a SchradeUSA 330T Middleman, at least I think it' U.S. made, as the tang stamp says: 'SCHRADE, then 'U.S.A.', then '330T'. I assume this is a U.S. made knife? The word CHINA is nowhere on the knife.

I can't believe Stewart Taylor is bringing knives into the U.S. from China, stamped U.S.A., and trying to pass them off as U.S. made.

Help me out here. If the knife is made elsewhere, I thought it had to be marked as such?

thx - cpr

I believe you are seeing knives made for Smoky Mountain Knife Works by Bear & Son in the U.S. with trademarks licensed (rented) from the Taylor Brands portfolio.

As to the import markings, you will see quite a few of the Taylor Chinese knives with either no China marking at all or a light tiny etch. Most more recent imports seem to have a tiny tang stamp (not seen in most seller's photos).

Michael

As Codger said, Taylor is contracting some of their "schrade" knives to American manufacturers. Camillus made some of the early Taylor-Schrade-Waldens for example.

Thanks for all the info, guys. It's a big help. I didn't know that Taylor's was contracting with American companies to make the new Schrade brand knives. Knowing that little detail now clears up a lot of issues for me, but the issue of these not being an original Schrade still looms large in my mind. I've always called what I thought was the pre-2004 Schrade knives, SchradeUSA in my posts.

So, I can assume that if a Schrade in any guise says 'USA', that at least it's made here. The new question now is, "what's the quality of these (USA) Schrades?" Is it even close to the old pre-2004 SchradeUSA product? I'm assuming it's not, unless you guys say otherwise. (I've heard some reports of inconsistent quality with Bear, for example.)

thx - cpr

Think I'll confine my Schrade buying to what I can examine before purchase like the Schrades that are still left in the small Mom and Pop hardware stores.
Zeke

The new question now is, "what's the quality of these (USA) Schrades?" Is it even close to the old pre-2004 SchradeUSA product?
thx - cpr
Hi cpr - there's been quite a bit of discussion in here regarding the quality of Taylor Charades, and knives made for them under licensing. A quick search showed a heap of comparisons.

USA vs CHINA Shrade 70t Cutting Test to Destruction

A new knife review - Taylor 171UH Chinese Knife

A new knife review - Taylor 7OT Chinese knife

Orph

I'm confused.
If the knife is stamped "U.S.A." does it necessarily mean it's a pre-2004 Schrade?
Zeke

Zeke, all Schrades were made prior to October of 2004. After that, Taylor began importing poorly made chinese copies. Also, Smokey rented some Taylor owned Schrade copyrighted names (Taylor bought them at the auction in 2004) and had knives made for them by Camillus and Bear & Sons using the Schrade Walden names, and stamped U.S.A.

We haven't seen the end of this yet. Some Taylor Chinese knives showed up with the Schrade 100th anniversary trim (two to three years after the anniversary celebrated in 2004).

Please correct me if I'm wrong: from what I understand now, if, on the tang of the main blade, the knife says SCHRADE or SCHRADE+, then USA, then a model # (like 330T, etc.) then it's an actual pre-2004 Schrade product. If it doesn't say USA on the tang, it's not a USA-made Schrade product.

Now, I've got to start reading more and try to figure out all this recent "Walden" nonsense.

I'm keeping my collection to only pre-2004 SCHRADE stuff.

thx - cpr

Orpheous - Thanks for the link; learning a little more every day . . .

thx - cpr

Larry303, I always wondered why those Aussies were paying such outragously high prices for the Uncle Henry's, I never figured out why they were so high, what a crook. I accidently myself in the haste of bidding bought a Taylor brand knife. I did not read the ad thoroughly and made sure it said made in the U.S.A. they sure won't adveritise "Taylor Brand". I know what those people mean about the new "Schrade Waldens" also. wannacollect

At least I was able to have half the maggot banned from Ebay but he still has his other alias the one he was selling under intact..although he has not been game to be active since I outed him.Aussies were ripped off for hundred's of Dollars while his scam was working...I must admit just like Orpheus in the early stages I was warning bidders and referring them to the item No where the item was originally bought in US by the other alias they were now bidding against.I am also aware he reads this forum for info on Schrades he sells so would by now know who outed him.As Ned Kelly our famous Bushranger said to his hangman "such is life" ...and then the lever was pulled. At least I feel better I stood on one maggot. Hoo Roo

I'm keeping my collection to only pre-2004 SCHRADE stuff.
Does that include any knives that Schrade was importing from China before going bancrupt?

Jeeze, I can't just leave well enough alone... :D

Worse than cruel! Schrade never made knives in China. It was a conspiricy to discredit the company by the Tennessee Maf... no wait... by the Communist Chi... no, by the Australians to crash the company and export all the good stuff to Australia and send us cheap Chinese knockoffs! Hey! They even got people inside the companies that printed the boxes to print "China" on them! It's a conspiricy I tell ya! :D

Back