Missed out on the 85 Crown Lifter? New Böker might fill the gap.

I don't want to excite anyone, but I've been hearing some rumbling about Boker wanting to bring a factory to the U.S. to produce traditional knives because of the import fees associated with shipping them here.
I'm excited. It might be a smart move to open a factory here and appeal to us nostalgic American manufacturing chauvinists. (Anyone who doesn't like that description, I didn't mean you.)

I realise that my opinion might be boring.
I was hoping to find an earnestly eye-rolling emoticon and follow it with the green grin.

I don't want to excite anyone, but I've been hearing some rumbling about Boker wanting to bring a factory to the U.S. to produce traditional knives because of the import fees associated with shipping them here.

OMGosh! If we can get the Italians on board too, happy days are here again!

We have been getting a nice variety of slipjoint options from germany, italy, and of course, here, usa. Not to mention theres solid options coming out of england while spain and france have some nice historical pieces. I need to balance out my assortment of knives.

Here’s the Thuya wood and description taken from the Boker website. I think they look great.

1EDCF51B-1728-4048-BBD3-1A96DB2E8C34.jpeg
The Boker Swell-End Jack is another classic knife shape, which was to be found on European farmers' markets and in the typical general shops of American settlements since the turn of the century. The handy pocket knife owes its name to its traditional design, which becomes noticeably wider towards the end of the handle, thus shifting the knife's centre of gravity backwards. In addition to the satin-finished main blade of ice-hardened N690 with 60 to 61 HRC, the knife is also equipped with a cap lifter that can also be used as a screwdriver. The blade has a modern ricasso and is opened by nail nick. The operating safety of the slipjoint is increased by a 90 degree arrestor during opening and closing. The noble handle scales are made of certified imported thuja wood, which is characterised by its warm colour and a striking grain. The characteristic bolsters are made of nickel silver. Handmade in the Boker Knife Manufactory in Solingen.

Here’s the Thuya wood and description taken from the Boker website. I think they look great.

View attachment 1520623
The Boker Swell-End Jack is another classic knife shape, which was to be found on European farmers' markets and in the typical general shops of American settlements since the turn of the century. The handy pocket knife owes its name to its traditional design, which becomes noticeably wider towards the end of the handle, thus shifting the knife's centre of gravity backwards. In addition to the satin-finished main blade of ice-hardened N690 with 60 to 61 HRC, the knife is also equipped with a cap lifter that can also be used as a screwdriver. The blade has a modern ricasso and is opened by nail nick. The operating safety of the slipjoint is increased by a 90 degree arrestor during opening and closing. The noble handle scales are made of certified imported thuja wood, which is characterised by its warm colour and a striking grain. The characteristic bolsters are made of nickel silver. Handmade in the Boker Knife Manufactory in Solingen.
I know its a translation. I assume "ice-hardened" means a cryo treatment of some kind, but what does "90 degree arrestor" mean?
Also, what makes the ricasso "modern"?

Where are the US produced Bokers currently made?
They haven't made knives in the USA for quite a while.

A visit over to the boker usa subforum will probably get someone better detail and/or speculation about bokers usa manufacturing.

Looks a good knife and very credible but the price is large. Gone are the days when I in Europe could buy a German made carbon Copperhead FROM the USA for 30 USD plus shipping (not that much 6 years ago either) :D:cool:

Boker has been doing some good stuff... and no goofy bottle shield. :cool::thumbsup:
GEC has definitely been getting a little campy with their knives. The Beer and Sausage, Urban Jack...by comparison the cola bottle shield is pretty tame.

It's just my opinion, but they're wasting valuable time and resources turning out these goofy things, when they could be making real pocket knives, like the English Whittler they recently released.

GEC has definitely been getting a little campy with their knives. The Beer and Sausage, Urban Jack...by comparison the cola bottle shield is pretty tame.

It's just my opinion, but they're wasting valuable time and resources turning out these goofy things, when they could be making real pocket knives, like the English Whittler they recently released.
Spot on!

Looks a good knife and very credible but the price is large. Gone are the days when I in Europe could buy a German made carbon Copperhead FROM the USA for 30 USD plus shipping (not that much 6 years ago either) :D:cool:
Yes, I bought many German made stockmans, trappers and whittlers for very reasonable prices. They were a frequent Christmas present for years. They are much more costly now, and I don't care for the jigging on the Chinese made Bokers.

that is a beautiful knife.... I MUCH prefer that blade shape to the GEC. But, the price is a deal breaker for me.

Cain't run with the big dogs, I guess....😞

hornetguy hornetguy Actually you can have it all, a nice Clip Point main, a Caplifter secondary, affordable pricing, carbon steel, and YELLOW handles! Just do a few searches for Imperial USA and be patient, lots of them made in the past. OH
Imperial-Cap-Lifter-Jack-1.jpg

hornetguy hornetguy Actually you can have it all, a nice Clip Point main, a Caplifter secondary, affordable pricing, carbon steel, and YELLOW handles! Just do a few searches for Imperial USA and be patient, lots of them made in the past. OH
Imperial-Cap-Lifter-Jack-1.jpg
Thanks... looks like those are begging for a re-cover.... I need to find one. Those would look great in osage....

Back