mnandi

will the new mnandi have a thumb stud opener? the pictues i have seen don't have an obvious opening mechanism (at least to me). will there be a lefty version? right minded individuals want to know!

dan

No, the Mnandi does not have a thumb stud opener - it will have a very effective notch on both sides of the blade. It will be available in dedicated left and right hand versions.

Anne

Anne . . . realize this may be premature, but can you provide an estimate as to WHEN the Mnandi will be available and about what the price will be? :}

------------------
ralph

Anne,

I'm glad to here they will be available Left Handed.
smile.gif

What length is the blade and OAL?
Is that a wood inlay and will it very in type?
If that is wood; is it also on the back side?
Does it have a clip?
How long a wait for Left Handed?
Approx. price?

View

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

[This message has been edited by RGRAY (edited 03-28-2001).]

Oh my, that is a nice looking knife....
Anne, what Rick said
smile.gif

------------------
A lefty trying to find his way in a righthanded world.
my art
BCC #942

Thanks, Mike. Gives me time to save up! Sure is a neat little knife . . .
cool.gif

------------------
ralph

Well, the postman brought me the new Blade (June 2001) today. In an article entitled "factory fresh" they give a little info on the Mnandi. Because I am such an all around great guy
wink.gif
I will transcribe what it says.

"The Mnandi (mm-NUN-dee) from Chris Reeve Knives will be a small, lightweight, elegant gent's folder with Reeve's integral lock, a BG-42 blade and a zircote wood inlay. Close length:3.6 inches. MSRP: $305. Available:September. Mnandi, by the way, is Zulu for "very nice."

There is no picture, but we at least have the prototype picture here.
cool.gif
Which we know may change, Anne.
wink.gif
I am extremely happy to see that the Mnandi is going to be between the Umfaan and Small Sebenza in length, but slim for pocket carry. I hope it comes with the excellent slip case like the Umfaans and decorated models.

Anne,
Is (mm-NUN-dee) a pretty accurate pronunciation guide? I had been saying something along the lines of ma-NAN-dee with the ma being like the first syllable of maneuver. I guess that the phonetic spelling in Blade came from CRK, so that is correct? Blade has been wrong in the past (yes, shocking I know).

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Blade has it right! mm-NUN-dee.

We are still sorting out options - but at the moment, they will be with Ziracote. Maybe, down the line, we will offer different woods at higher prices.

The knife looks very similar on both sides i.e. inlay on back and front.

There will be a pocket clip option - completely innovative and really good!

I can't tell you of a delivery time for leftie Mnandis yet - I just don't know.

I am sure you were all the kind of kids who searched every closet in the house before Christmas to find out what you were getting!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
- but I am glad you're all so excited, it is going to be a sweet knife!

Anne

I agree, sweet knife! Definitely a must have. While I like the Ziracote, I think I will hold off for awhile and hope I can get one in Desert Ironwood to match my wood inlayed large Sebenza. Heck, for the price of the small wood inlay I have been eyeing, I can get one of these, throw in a few more bucks and pick up my long desired Project I as well.

Thanks Anne, I appreciate your fast response. Apparently they got the pronunciation correct, but not the spelling of ziracote (that was their typo not mine). I've never even heard of ziracote and I thought I was fairly knowledgable about tropical woods.

Now that you've let the clip hint out, you are sure to be indundated with questions about that.
wink.gif
You have the patience of a saint! That's it Saint Anne, patron saint of cutlery customer service!

Paul

Wow what a great looking knife. Can't wait til September.

Anne - any field testers needed?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chris Reeve Knives:

...I am sure you were all the kind of kids who searched every closet in the house before Christmas to find out what you were getting!!
smile.gif
smile.gif
- but I am glad you're all so excited, it is going to be a sweet knife!

Anne

</font>

How did you know?
biggrin.gif

Thanks Anne.

------------------
Rick Gray - Left Handers Unite

The newest issue of Knives Illustrated was waiting in the mailbox today. It had some conflicting news about the Mnandi in their review of the SHOT Show.

They printed that Mnandi is "(pronounced non-di-Zulu for knife)" This is a different pronunciation and definition for the name than I've seen other places.
eek.gif
They also list the price as $300, which is only a difference of $5 from the Blade article.

This is the part that really gets me though--"Retail is $300, with BG42 blades adn titanium handles with wood inlays. This is a first for Reeve, whose folders in the past had all-titanium handles." Huh? I guess they mean this if the first folder to be originally designed with wood inlay. The wood inlay Sebenzas have been around for a couple of years, as everyone here knows. Interesting.

------------------
Paul Davidson

Them:"What's that clipped to your pocket, a beeper?"
Me:"Uuh....yeah, something like that."

Good point Paul!

I'd really like to see a scan or pic of the
Mnandi sitting next to an Umfaan, it would help me decide on my next purchase....so to speak
wink.gif

If someone has one and doesn't have a scanner they can mail me the knife and I'd make a lovely scan of the series, Large Sebenza/Small/Umfaan and Mnandi, but I'm more interested in the size comparison to the Umfaan at present.

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

I second Mr. Graley's request, size comparison please.

And if possible get a shot of the back and side view as well.

Brandon

[This message has been edited by Elvislives (edited 04-17-2001).]

Back