Model 14, Border Patrol Handle/Nickel Silver guard

I finally have it in my possesion!!! Very cool blade, smaller than I was expecting but this blade is very well balanced and fast in the hand. A couple of swipes with a ceramic stick and the edge sprung to life. Won't shave hair very readily, but still a very aggressive slicer. Fit and finish is very well crafted. The micarta seamlessly blends into the guard, which itself is very well soldered or brazed into place. Grinds are nice and even. The sheath is excellent. Well worth the wait, but next one I buy will be from a dealer I think.
IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Nice blade! Did you order it direct? If so, you must have had 4+ years or waiting.

Nice blade! Did you order it direct? If so, you must have had 4+ years or waiting.

Thanks! Yeah, I ordered direct from RMK a loooong time ago. In the meantime, I got into killing time on BF, knifemaking, collecting HI khuks, busses, swamprats, K9's, Matt Roberts blades, an upcoming Burt Foster, etc. It is a really nice blade, though. May have to order a #1 with stag handle like that stuff you got :thumbup:, maybe go stainless with 8" blade so I can have something to think about for another 5 years.

That may be the first time I've seen anyone say that a 14 is a "small" knife. Actually, I think the size is "just right."

A beautiful knife. Hope it was worth the wait.

Speaking of big knives and the #14, the #12-9" with #14 Grind is definitely no slouch when it comes to size. Here is one of mine:

rmk-12-9-14grind-1.jpg

Speaking of big knives and the #14, the #12-9" with #14 Grind is definitely no slouch when it comes to size. Here is one of mine:

rmk-12-9-14grind-1.jpg

Wow. I think I'm going to order one of those today, if they still make them. :thumbup:

The Model 14 size/weight is just right. It tried it out on some hedges and scrap lumber yesterday and it performs very impressively. The bevels almost seem to be slightly hollow ground?

Yes, Maqua, the 12-9-14s are still available from the shop, in brass or nickel-silver, and with or without a #25 handle. Be warned, though: They're expensive little buggers.

The blade on your #14 is flat-ground.

The current catalog price for a #12-9" with #14 Grind is $650 or so. They often sell for $800 and up. Superb blade.

I put a 12-9/14/25 NS on my website for $655 and it lasted about a half day; the buyer's buddy called and wanted one just like it for the same price...when I told him I only had the one, he told me what they were selling for elsewhere.

I hadn't thought to research the asking/resell price, and had just put it out like all the rest at $50 over what I paid. $800, no kidding? Hmmm...

-S

I put a 12-9/14/25 NS on my website for $655 and it lasted about a half day; the buyer's buddy called and wanted one just like it for the same price...when I told him I only had the one, he told me what they were selling for elsewhere.

I hadn't thought to research the asking/resell price, and had just put it out like all the rest at $50 over what I paid. $800, no kidding? Hmmm...

-S

That is interesting....and tempting.:D I have one exactly like Ken showed a picture of.

I had no idea what they were currently selling for.

Peter

Yes, Maqua, the 12-9-14s are still available from the shop, in brass or nickel-silver, and with or without a #25 handle. Be warned, though: They're expensive little buggers.

The blade on your #14 is flat-ground.

Samael, what makes you think that blade is flat ground? I thought all Randall blades were hollow ground and that the large blades were done on a larger wheel.

Bruce, that was told to me by Chris Stanaback in a phone conversation about six months ago. Was he wrong?

If you have the knife in front of you, and access to a straight edge, such as a conventional ruler, it is a fairly trivial task to determine whether the blade has a convex, flat, or hollow grind.

You're joking, right? With my eyes? I'm lucky I don't need a seeing-eye dog.

I bought my son the match to that 14... the 15 with Border Patrol Handles... back in about 1996 when he was 14. It came with his name engraved on the side too! He loves it.... after all these years!

Those were the good ole days when you could call up Randall in FL and see what they had in stock ready to ship. I bought 15 or 20 knives one month that way!! Ah... the good ole days.

Samael, you wrote:
You're joking, right? With my eyes? I'm lucky I don't need a seeing-eye dog.
A convex grind is the easiest to detect, because the straight edge will rock over the grind. The hollow versus flat grind is detected by the respective presence or absence of a gap between the straight edge and the grind. And yes, you need to have good eyes. ;)

Bruce, that was told to me by Chris Stanaback in a phone conversation about six months ago. Was he wrong?

Yes he was. My #14, #16, and #5-6 are all hollow ground. The wheel was very large because there isn't much light under that straight edge (thank you, lunde!) but they are definitely hollow ground.

You mean Captain Chris? I've always wondered what he was captain of. I guess I'll start calling myself Colonel Bruce. ...and I don't mean "Kentucky Colonel" either!

I don't mean to tarnish his reputation but anyone can make a mistake.

The Model 11 and the Model 25 might be flat ground but the #1s up through the 12s are definitely hollow ground.

Officers, officers, can't we all just act like gentlemen and get along...lol

Hopefully dirty water will chime in on this one, but IIRC, Bruce is right, 'all' RMK's are hollow ground, even the Model #11, #25(s), the A.G. Russell Special, the Nordic Bowie, the larger Bowie models, etc...

-S

p.s. Question - "I've always wondered what he was captain of..." Answer - a shrimp trawler, named 'Jenny'...(Forrest Gump reference)

Back