Recommendation? Modern slipjoint options?

The Thrill is my favorite. Love the blade shape, the frame is one piece. I really don't use the pocket clip, IMO, it can be improved, but it's nice to have that option. For the price, I think it's a good buy.
The Sowbelly fits naturally in my hand, who doesn't like a good clip point ? The Bestman is just a classy looking knife that works well.
Hope this helps. :p
That doesn't help narrow it down at all!

Here's some pics of my newly arrived micarta Slim Shuffler. The knife has good snap and zero play. Its extremely light and thin. I don't know how long it will stay tight or how it will hold up over time, but really if you're looking for a hard user, get the one with bolsters and liners. The handle does have some flex if you squeeze it in the middle, but who does that? o_O I did it once out of curiosity. It will have no effect on usage. I like the contours in the handle. Definitely gives a better grip than the micarta on my Bolus.

I like this knife a lot. No buyers remorse. Service form CK was stellar as always.

Traditional lines or not, I'd still like it better with a sunken joint :p ;)

I'm already thinking I may need a titanium one :D

If ya got any questions, ask.

Unboxing :thumbsup:
View attachment 1531928
View attachment 1531929 View attachment 1531930
View attachment 1531931

An Italian trio. Bolus, Shuffler, Swayback.

View attachment 1531932 View attachment 1531933

With a single blade Case Barlow.

View attachment 1531937 View attachment 1531940
Great pictures! Thank you for that. I'm torn between the micarta and Titanium. The micarta will age over time and the titanium will get some trails with use and carry...

I acquired a Lionsteel CK01 Warhorse last year, and loved it at first, but a variety of things kept coming up to the point where I sold it not too long ago.
  • I don't normally like multi-bladed knives, so I don't know what I was thinking, but yep, this was just too wide to be a great EDC for me.
  • The raised joints, on this two-bladed knife, meant that since one or the other of them was always (sharply) right on my first finger while I used it. The high and sharp joints just don't work well on a multi-bladed knife.
  • Aesthetically, the knife is beautiful, and really well-made. Having two screw heads right on the Barlow bolster looked fine in photographs, but just didn't work for me on the actual knife. Something about that just didn't work, and worked less and less over time.
  • For this kind of knife, I prefer a spearpoint, and the combo of clip and wharncliffe just didn't quite add up for me.

I suspect that if I'd bought the Roundhead, I'd have kept it a lot longer, and if I'd bought the Slim Roundhead I'd have kept it forever. Despite me eventually losing interest, this is a really well-made knife, with great materials and great fit and finish.

-Tyson

I have a couple that I really like with the wonderful M390 stainless blades.
The lionSTEEL Bolus in ram's horn is a favorite, makes a great little caper @ 3⅞" closed.
jwznHMP.jpg

sEJSn8O.jpg

For a more modern, modern, the Viper Key in 3D blue titanium is simply spectacular looking, and a true slipjoint @ 4⅛" closed.
iEOCqip.jpg

rWm0f52.jpg

The Fantoni Dweller, a Zulu spear slipjoint, comes with gorgeous cocobolo covers and 19c27 stainless steel @ 3⅞" closed.
7LnjrsA.jpg

I have a Boker Club Gentleman, Boker Prime Jute, and Tuya Tortuga.....all different in style but like them. I’ve been looking into getting a Lionsteel too.

Here is something a bit different - the Twosun TS187 Fangtooth slipjoint knife with titanium bare head jack frame and bolsters, brown linen micarta, 4.2" closed, 2.9" M390 blade with halfstop...
KRoxxry.jpg
So I somehow scored a Twosun Ts123 for $49. Now I just have to wait for it. It's my first off the brand so I'm excited to try it out. That one looks really neat also.

Beautiful knife!

So I somehow scored a Twosun Ts123 for $49. Now I just have to wait for it. It's my first off the brand so I'm excited to try it out. That one looks really neat also.
Twosun is making some interesting slipjoints right now, with quality as good as any and better than most. Prices are all over the place, mostly because many Twosun knives are sold new directly from the makers through fleabay....
The Fangtooth has a great grind, pretty much flat, .021 behind the edge, and the outer 1.8" of the nearly 3" blade has a nice taper.
You'll like the 123. Its a slipjoint with half stops but not really a traditional as it has a pocket clip...
The blade is ground high and thin, .018 behind the edge, 5/64 at the spine and the last 2 inches taper right down to zero at the end. Its fairly heavy though because of the copper inserts.
I also have this one, the TS252, with damascus blade, snakewood slabs and brass bolsters -

clKZjM2h.jpg

Those are really interesting and some I have never seen.

That looks well loved /used. How long have you had it?

He makes some great knives, they're super strong when open. They're also on the cheaper end of customs (but don't tell him that!)

Had this one since last summer, It's a regular on my dog walks.

Every time I see one of these with a clip, it makes me wish the upcoming Barlow caplifter from Lionsteel had it too. I understand why it has the spear, but man I’d love a clip on that one.
with you on this one, spear put me off.

Back