Morakniv...

Big fan of Mora here, and I agree with what said about it being the 'value' knife. Lightweight, scandi grind, inexpensive and relatively good fit and finish, you just can't go wrong with a Mora. The only Mora knife I own that I feel luke warm about is the Garberg, the weight is unlike what most Mora knives are known for.

It
I bought a Mora (the old school wood handle design) many years ago after reading about them. I was a little bit leery about the small, slick, tapered handle but loved the blade and the value.

I ended up buying a whole pile of Basics, Clippers, Companions, etc. to put in all my packs and bags as back-ups. The reality is, I've carried them everywhere but have rarely actually used any of them! But they're there if I need them...

I guess the fact that I've never needed my back-ups means my primary held up fine and was treated right, and I've been lucky. Nothing wrong with that.

It’s refreshing to read of Moras carried for backup actually being relegated to backup. When I first started reading about Moras here about five years ago, a dominating theme involved the Mora carried for backup, then doing all the heavy lifting to save wear and tear on the “good” knife, begging the question, “why spend the money”?

I had a high opinion of Opinel but I hadn't handled one in probably over a decade. So I recently ordered one with a Walnut handle. I was very unhappy with what I got. The handle had rough edges. The blade edge was mashed up right out of the box. The locking mechanism is a little different than I remember but it also didn't lock up all that well. I sent it back.

I had also forgotten that Opinel steel is super soft and not regular 12C27. It's a modified version of 12C27 with less carbon and more chromium. All this time I had been giving recommendations for Opinel a thumbs up... :oops:

For comparison, I got one of the kids a new Companion this past summer. The quality was excellent.

Man that’s a bummer. Sorry to hear about your experience with that Opi.

I think I’ve got 8 or 9 in different variants, and one of them came with a rolled burr. That came off easy though.

All the ones I’ve seen and handled had no issues with the handle finish. They did however all have different degrees of tightness on the blade.

The first Garberg I received was warped and had a chunk of plastic missing from the right side texture. The replacement is perfect.

I think sometimes lemons get out in the wild, which is probably not that unusual due to the high volume made.

I put my Garberg in a leather drop sheath I had from a Condor Swamp Romper and it's become my go-to everyday fixed blade. I use that knife for everything and it's been perfect.

I also have a Kansbol that lives in my work backpack for lunch duty and also accompanies me on backpacking adventures. The light weight and grinds make it perfect for a lightweight camp/food knife.

Eldris is my sometimes neck knife if I'm lounging around the house in sweats because it weighs nothing.

I also have 4 or 5 various models of Craftline and Craftline Pro knives with their sheathes stacked hanging off the wall behind my workbench in the garage. I love them all. The chisel is great for chiseling and scraping, the serrated model makes quick work of plastic straps, zip ties, and rope, the flex is great for cleaning game (and recently carving pumpkins with the kids), and the standard carbon is a great utility knife.

Looking to add a floating knife to my kayak deck soon too.

Only Mora I have (or want) is the classic original venerable Number 1, with red birch handle, no guard, and a hair over 3 3/4 inch, and under 3 13/16 inch/or 96mm (I just measured it) carbon steel blade.
I don't "need" any of the others. The Number 1 does everything I need a fixed blade for, thank you very much.. :D

EDUIT:

Reading some of the other posts, concern about the lack of a hand/finger guard on the wood handle knives has been mentioned more than once. The Mora 611 and 612 have a half guard and are otherwise identical to the Number 1 and Number 2.
Most Puukko's don't have a guard, no matter who made them.

From what I've read those with guards, are considered "children's knives" as an adult is expected to know how to grip his or her knife to avoid being sliced, regardless of if the handle is dry or wet/bloody.

I've never had my hand slip down the handle, not even when peeling game, cleaning fish, or cutting a big game critter into parts so it fits into the freezer.

Last edited:
No moras here. I always mean to buy a few and never have ended up doing so.

I do carry and use a lot of traditionals, GEC, Buck, Opinel, etc.

I also have customs to use.

I definitely save some dirtier jobs for Opinel, or an AG Russell sodbuster I have.

I kind of made my self a pair of fixed blades that would cover the Mora category.

Ignore rhe pie, it is not relevant.

OMpd5Wz.jpg

pTGBMxE.jpg

No moras here. I always mean to buy a few and never have ended up doing so.

I do carry and use a lot of traditionals, GEC, Buck, Opinel, etc.

I also have customs to use.

I definitely save some dirtier jobs for Opinel, or an AG Russell sodbuster I have.

I kind of made my self a pair of fixed blades that would cover the Mora category.

Ignore rhe pie, it is not relevant.

OMpd5Wz.jpg

pTGBMxE.jpg

The pie is not just relevant, it is essential. The pie is the end to which the knives are just the means.
Thumbs up for the homemade puukkos.

... From what I've read those with guards, are considered "children's knives" as an adult is expected to know how to grip his or her knife to avoid being sliced, regardless of if the handle is dry or wet/bloody.

I've never had my hand slip down the handle, not even when peeling game, cleaning fish, or cutting a big game critter into parts so it fits into the freezer.

I see the "need" for a guard as tied to hard use and defensive applications in which extreme force, abrupt angle changes, etc. could theoretically cause that kind of slippage.

When stuff like this comes up for folding knives, I usually write it off as "folding knives are not the right tool for the job". Fixed blades are better but it's always worth asking what people expect from their carry knife. If possible defensive use is part of the philosophy of use, a guard can be a good idea. Personally, I carry a firearm unless I'm traveling somewhere with enforceable prohibition. So I normally don't factor defensive use into my carry choice for knives. However, it does affect my fixed blade choice when I travel to those restrictive places (which just happen to have higher crime rates).

The pie is not just relevant, it is essential. The pie is the end to which the knives are just the means.
Thumbs up for the homemade puukkos.

The curved blade was my first attempt at forging. 8 tried a Yakut blade. One side convex, opposite side, I forged a fuller down the center of the blade. By the time I was done cleaning up the decarb, and forge scale pits, and hammer marks from the fullered side, my fuller was gone..just a few tiny micro dots remained on the flat side. Next time, I'll do better!!

I have a few Mora's, but my 2 favorite are the Companion and the Classic no.2

I've had them going on 10 years. I have used and abused the classic so much I'm surprised the blade has held up so well. Truly an impressive knife/knives

Reactions: vba
My humble opinion:
Mora is great for outdoors, gardening and bushcraft.

But Mora is not really the best option for EDC.
It's too big and bulky for that and Eldris just won't cut it, even if it had smaller handle. Also, Eldris is quite expensive for what it is.

Mora is excellent for many things, it just isn't for EDC.

The Eldris cost 25 bucks!? Too expensive?! Really?

If you want a small fixed blade by Mora, the Classic 1/0 or 2/0 are perfect for EDC.

If you want a large everyday carry fixed blade the Companion, Bushcraft, Kansbol or Garberg are great.

Some of these work better with an upgraded leather or Kydex sheath, but still all are a bargain.

I've bought a bunch of Moraknives over the last 3 years when there were good deals. Basic 511, Pro S, Companions from about $8-$10 delivered. Bushcraft orange for $20. Bushcraft black for $28. Mora Classics from $12 - $15. Cheap as chips and consistent quality. Now, if they just had some convexed offerings ...

The Eldris cost 25 bucks!? Too expensive?! Really?
I said too expensive for what it is, it's 35€ here, and for around 30€ I can get CRKT Mossback B&T or Mossback hunter, or CS Super Edge, Buck Paklite skinner, Becker Remora... all of these are actual knives with less awkward handle to carry...

I said too expensive for what it is, it's 35€ here, and for around 30€ I can get CRKT Mossback B&T or Mossback hunter, or CS Super Edge, Buck Paklite skinner, Becker Remora... all of these are actual knives with less awkward handle to carry...
It does seem like it should be cheaper. It’s not like $25 bucks is a lot, but you can get a lot of their other models, which are larger (more materials) for a comparable price.

Finally I found a morakniv thread...I have a bunch of elite knife too:) but always grab a mora knife :p...my 1st ever mora is classic no2

Back